Author Topic: Mystery Garden Critter  (Read 7413 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Mystery Garden Critter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 12:46:54 PM »
Yeah, I'll step up to rat traps.

I'll also plant mint around the periphery of my garden, I think.  It's supposedly good for repelling some mice species and some ants as well.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 01:32:18 AM »
Check out the invasive nature of mint.  I talked with experienced gardener friends about getting mint going for bar tending, Thai, Greek, and Middle Eastern cooking.  Caused quite an uproar.  I was warned to plant only in containers that would not allow spreading.  This in Oregon where we have square miles of the stuff growing for the extract and flavoring industry.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »
chipies & squirrels are not active at night
unless you have zombie chipmunks

I'm thinking voles
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

erictank

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 05:30:58 PM »
Check out the invasive nature of mint.  I talked with experienced gardener friends about getting mint going for bar tending, Thai, Greek, and Middle Eastern cooking.  Caused quite an uproar.  I was warned to plant only in containers that would not allow spreading.  This in Oregon where we have square miles of the stuff growing for the extract and flavoring industry.

Oh my dear and fluffy lord, yes!  The people we bought our house from planted mint in a couple of outdoor garden beds.  My wife and I both have black thumbs and little interest in spending time gardening.  When I finally got around to working clearing out leaves and stuff from one of the beds a couple months ago, the mint was EVERY-FREAKING-WHERE.

Tempting to go at it with a flamethrower - and hey, the smoke would smell nice, too! =D

Think I've got it mostly under control now, but I swear, it's worse than grape hyacinths (our nemesis at our old townhouse).

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
Try getting rid of Creeping Charlie sometime (Glechoma hederacea, for professor Tuttle).  It runs along the ground and crowds out the grass and pretty much everything else, and it just laughs at 2,4-d.

Horseradish is another plant that you better make sure you really want before you plant it, cuz it will be there forever.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
it just laughs at 2,4-d

That's why they make glyphosate (active ingredient of Round Up).
Which happens to be my absolute favorite gardening tool.
 =D

Burn it down with glyphosate, replant with what ever you want.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 11:28:02 AM »
You could do like some of the local NewAgers used to do, and leave notes in the garden asking the mice not to eat your plants  :lol:
Yeah, but you better leave some children's spelling books and picture books also because they probably can't read.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
You could do like some of the local NewAgers used to do, and leave notes in the garden asking the mice not to eat your plants 
Yeah, but you better leave some children's spelling books and picture books also because they probably can't read.
Just don't give him a cookie.
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:40 PM »
Update:

Didn't plant mint, after being warned off due to its invasive nature... though I wonder if it would invade my garden.  My raised bed is 8" above the rest of the yard ground level, and I was planning on planting it outside of the raised bed.  It's just bare earth, and it would end up drinking whatever water made it from the garden's irrigation system into the ground around the garden.  I wouldn't deliberately water it otherwise.  Should keep it starved, and otherwise unable to climb back into the garden.

I got 1/4" hardware cloth.  Put it around the perimeter.  Seems to be doing the trick.  I have new tomato seedlings coming up now, my peas are slowly coming back to life, and my corn has been left alone.

Never got the little bastage that started the trouble, unless he died from his struggles with the sprung mouse trap later on.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 03:20:49 AM »
Nope, just plotting his revenge with hundreds or thousands of his friends and family......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.