Poll

Do you hunt at all

Yes
No

Author Topic: Hunters  (Read 7426 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Hunters
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
I shot a few crows when I was a kid, but that's it. I'm not a hunter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
That's what friends are for.
They have decoys also mums the word
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
My available private land has dwindled to about zilch. The public land around me is over hunted and over crowded with less than optimal types. I will go after small game on the public and off season from deer hunting but that's about it. When I feel the need to put some venison in the freezer I can set up on the back of my place and having a shot at a good doe is almost a certainty, not that that means I always manage it.
I consider myself a casual hunter these days.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 10:51:12 PM »
I hunt to eat.  That's all I've ever done.  When I really need it I have friends with plenty of acreage that will let me hunt there.

I didn't hunt this year due to the medical stuff but I got 2 deer and an elk last year so there is still meat.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:39 PM »
Actually hunters are us, most just don't realize it or want to admit it.  I hunt but not as much as I want.

I was just jokin', man.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:15 AM »
Except for a summer shooting crows for the bounty -- well, now that I think about it crows also have only two feet.  But they were the only ones with a bounty on them.

I have several friends who hunt, and until a few years ago when it became too physically challenging I would go out with them, but not armed.  I used to be able to dress game with the best of them.  I do still enjoy the fruits of their hunting.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 12:52:34 AM »
Nope, don't hunt.  I don't deal well with the whole gutting process.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 01:37:10 AM »

Doesn't bother me at all.  One advantage to having a poor sense of smell, at least for certain things.  I can never trust my nose to tell me if meat has spoiled, or even milk, at least not until it's pretty far gone.  Bleach has to be pretty strong for me to notice it.  That said, I can smell amonia very well.

Actual conversation while helping gut a yearling elk my buddy shot through the liver:

Hunting buddy: Is that horrid smell because I hit it in the gut?

Hunting buddy's dad: Yep.  cough

Me:  Huh?  I don't smell anything.
Formerly sumpnz

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »
Doesn't bother me at all.  One advantage to having a poor sense of smell, at least for certain things.  I can never trust my nose to tell me if meat has spoiled, or even milk, at least not until it's pretty far gone.  Bleach has to be pretty strong for me to notice it.  That said, I can smell amonia very well.

Actual conversation while helping gut a yearling elk my buddy shot through the liver:

Hunting buddy: Is that horrid smell because I hit it in the gut?

Hunting buddy's dad: Yep.  cough

Me:  Huh?  I don't smell anything.

That's funny, I also have a very poor sense of smell.  My problem is a visual thing - I pass out trying to do that kind of work, or even seeing it done.  Always have, no clue why.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »

Not my favorite part either, I have offered a fellow hunter an Andrew Jackson to field dress the animal for me. I'm not concerned about seeing or touching the guts, I can't stand the smell of ruminent guts. When I bow hunt and the wind is right I can smell the deer coming most the time before I see them.

Unfortuately my fellow hunter wouldn't field dress my deer for $20.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
I used to hunt, as in birds and some ungulates.

Now I tend to spend more time in the pursuit of searching for and killing of a couple of specific members of the canine family. Although I have yet to kill a wolf, I guess that will count as hunting, as I plan on ripping out the backstraps and grilling them up.

bob

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
I'm a shooter who hunts from time to time, not the other way around.

The numbers of gun-owners who don't hunt versus the ones that do are probably spot-on, but it fails to take into consideration that most gun owners rarely shoot as it is - sometimes not firing a gun for decades.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
I haven't done much hunting in years, FWIW.  In my youth I hunted dove, rabbits, quail and yotes.  As an adult, I haven't had much of a chance. I went with mtnbkr but only had a shot on the most dangerous game...Mexicans!

When I hunt now, I can decide whether my 'kill' lives or dies.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:22 AM »
My available private land has dwindled to about zilch. The public land around me is over hunted and over crowded with less than optimal types. I will go after small game on the public and off season from deer hunting but that's about it. When I feel the need to put some venison in the freezer I can set up on the back of my place and having a shot at a good doe is almost a certainty, not that that means I always manage it.
I consider myself a casual hunter these days.

I only hunt on my own land, or sometimes on a neighbor's place if I have permission.

It just isn't worth the price of gas to drive somewhere to shoot meat, not to mention being out in the woods with a bunch of city yahoos. :(

This past season we had deer everywhere on the days when I had to work, then when I took time off at thanksgiving to actually hunt, there wasn't a deer to be seen.  :facepalm:

The gutting process isn't that big a deal.  It's more back breaking work to me than anything (the leaning over).  I'm pretty squeamish, but once I get started then it's just a job to finish.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »
I enjoy hunting, but in TX most hunting is on leased land, and between the time and lease cost I haven't hunted for quite a while.  =(   (Or as I told a colleague . . . "it's much too long since I've taken a life."    :O  )

I've very glad I hunted Africa when I did - job demands, political instability, and escalating co$t would keep me from making those kinds of trips now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:24 AM »
Hunting is something that circumstance never offered, and ignorance did nothing to relieve that shortcoming.

It is, however, on my bucket list.

I just need to find someone who's willing to serve as guide to a guy who isn't as fit as he once was, and has only willingness to learn where experience ought to be.

If you ever want to come to Michigan, I would be happy to take you out.  I am, by no means, a professional guide and I can't make any guarantees, but I am occasionally successful.

I still hunt and hunting is what got me into firearms.  I will confess to having "fudd" attitudes for a brief period, but once I got into handguns, those rapidly disappeared.  Personally, most of the gun people I know are not into hunting.  FWIW, most of the hunters I know are interested in guns for other things, mostly self-defense, so I never hear the "who needs a _______ for hunting."
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »
If you ever want to come to Michigan, I would be happy to take you out.  I am, by no means, a professional guide and I can't make any guarantees, but I am occasionally successful.

Same here, but substitute Washington State for MI.
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
AG, you can come sit on my deck and hunt coyotes over live chicken bait  :lol:

No license required  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
Does it count if all you've bagged are rabbits and quail?

I've yet to have a combination of:
1. A large game tag
2. The species the tag is for
3. Seeing that species inside of the allowed 1 week in the year to take it.

Set me free in the wild without a tag, and I'll come across javelina, deer, elk and all sorts of good critters.  Just not when I have blessing and permission from the King's Game Wardens to take them.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
I started deer hunting the year before the last. I'm not very good at it, haven't got one yet. Spent some quality time in the woods and had the best nap of my  life, though.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

zahc

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 11:32:56 AM »
I had to answer 'No' because I haven't been hunting in years. I used to, back when I had access to land.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
SteveS,

Where in Michigan are you?  I'm transferring to Muskegon, MI this August.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »
Does it count if all you've bagged are rabbits and quail?

I've yet to have a combination of:
1. A large game tag
2. The species the tag is for
3. Seeing that species inside of the allowed 1 week in the year to take it.

Set me free in the wild without a tag, and I'll come across javelina, deer, elk and all sorts of good critters.  Just not when I have blessing and permission from the King's Game Wardens to take them.

Try another state. WY for Antelope, Utah for Mule Deer, KS or MO for whitetail and CO for Elk. I'm going to WY in Oct for Antelope and Mule Deer. Also aren't bobcats varmit in AZ? I'd love to have a couple cat hides for the man cave.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »

Hell man, that's the best part. >:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »
I haven't done much hunting in years, FWIW.  In my youth I hunted dove, rabbits, quail and yotes.  As an adult, I haven't had much of a chance. I went with mtnbkr but only had a shot on the most dangerous game...Mexicans!

When I hunt now, I can decide whether my 'kill' lives or dies.

I've always subscribed to the fillet and release method.

Samuel Adams