Author Topic: Japan Shuts Down the Last of Its 50 Nuclear Reactors  (Read 8550 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Japan Shuts Down the Last of Its 50 Nuclear Reactors
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »
This should be interesting to watch. The reactors provided a third of the country's power output. Maybe they had already been working on contingency power, but I haven't read anything about it. It seems to me the panic shutdown because of Fukushima is going to lead to economic and other problems for Japan, at least in the short term.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/05/japan-to-be-without-nuclear-power-for-first-time-in-42-years/?test=latestnews

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Japan Shuts Down the Last of Its 50 Nuclear Reactors
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
This should be interesting to watch. The reactors provided a third of the country's power output. Maybe they had already been working on contingency power, but I haven't read anything about it. It seems to me the panic shutdown because of Fukushima is going to lead to economic and other problems for Japan, at least in the short term.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/05/japan-to-be-without-nuclear-power-for-first-time-in-42-years/?test=latestnews

Dumbassery, sheer dumbassery.  Especially when you look at how Fuk came about.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
Makes sense to me. Those 9.0 earthquakes and tsunami's happen every few thousand years, you know. You can't be too careful.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
The real moral to this story is that it took both an earthquake AND a tsunami to break Fukushimsa's containment.....we should build ALL our nuclear reactors like Fukushima.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:05:50 PM »
The real moral to this story is that it took both an earthquake AND a tsunami AND building the backup generators on the ground floor to be flooded out to break Fukushimsa's containment.....we should build ALL our nuclear reactors like Fukushima.....  :cool:

Put the generators up the hill a bit, or on the roof of one of the sturdy building and you are good to go.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Fukushima would have even survived the earthquake AND tsunami if the diesel generators hadn't been flooded.  Problem was they has assumed some maximum wave height plus safety factor when setting the height of the tsunami walls.  And the tsunami was IIRC 2-3 meters higher than the wall.  Even then, had they set the generators up higher they might have been just fine.

Rather than shutting them all down, an FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) would have been more appropriate.  And then change the way they set up certain safety aspects to improve the performance and safety of the reactors in case of another major earthquake or volcano or other natural disaster.
Formerly sumpnz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »
From the article, I see that oil and gas -fired powerplants are picking up the slack.  That has to be expensive.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
From the article, I see that oil and gas -fired powerplants are picking up the slack.  That has to be expensive.
Depending on their consumption, it could also increase the cost of those resources.
Paranoia always has a high cost.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
Depending on their consumption, it could also increase the cost of those resources.
Paranoia always has a high cost.....

For us as well. I imagine they'll need to import a good deal more oil to run those plants.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
Always, always follow the money.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
Why not use this opportunity to try out a few thorium reactors?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
Makes sense to me. Those 9.0 earthquakes and tsunami's happen every few thousand years, you know. You can't be too careful.

The ancestors of current Japanese had placed cairns of rocks, obelisks, and other warnings at the high water marks of PRIOR tsunamis - centuries, not millenia, earlier; historic times - essentially warning future generations that they shouldn't build lower down the slopes. Their far smarter and wiser descendants laughed at the quaint ways of their primitive ancestors and ignored the warnings - with predictable results.

It will be interesting to see how Japan suffers with rolling brownouts and blackouts, industry shut downs, and the cost to their economy of importing even more fuel - this just may be a case of national hara-kiri.

(And BHO is more likely too take it as an example, rather than a warning.   =(  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »
The real moral to this story is that it took both an earthquake AND a tsunami to break Fukushimsa's containment.....we should build ALL our nuclear reactors like Fukushima.....  :cool:

No.  We should build all our reactors like ours.  The Japanese reactors there are several generations old.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
Well, between them and Germany pulling this asshattery and China buying West Virginia one train car at a time we better get on the nuke bandwagon a lot heavier.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »
The ancestors of current Japanese had placed cairns of rocks, obelisks, and other warnings at the high water marks of PRIOR tsunamis - centuries, not millenia, earlier; historic times - essentially warning future generations that they shouldn't build lower down the slopes. Their far smarter and wiser descendants laughed at the quaint ways of their primitive ancestors and ignored the warnings - with predictable results.

In all fairness, you can say the exact same thing about here in terms of our continued building on coastlines, earthquake zones, and areas prone to forest fires, tornadoes and hurricanes.  Population pressure tends to drive these decisions.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »
In all fairness, you can say the exact same thing about here in terms of our continued building on coastlines, earthquake zones, and areas prone to forest fires, tornadoes and hurricanes.  Population pressure tends to drive these decisions.

It will be an interesting day when Mt Ranier erupts  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »

Hopefully not while I'm elk hunting by there.  [tinfoil]
Formerly sumpnz

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 08:30:41 PM »

I'm just waiting for Mt. Hood to go. Historically, it tends to erupt within a short amount of time of Mount Saint Helens, which means there's a decent chance of exploding in the next 100 or so years.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 09:24:34 PM »
Japan has a national phobia of nuclear... issues. Im not surprised by this.
Look, tiny text!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
they also have a real air quality issue thats about to get a lot worse
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 12:23:53 AM »
Japan has a national phobia of nuclear... issues. Im not surprised by this.

I can see where they would have had a historical phobia, but would have thought they'd overcome it considering they had 50 reactors online. I think the entire US only has 100 or so.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 01:22:23 AM »
I can see where they would have had a historical phobia, but would have thought they'd overcome it considering they had 50 reactors online. I think the entire US only has 100 or so.

The Japanese have disappointed me. If they use this as an excuse to retool and bring new plants online, that's one thing, but if they've stepped off the nuclear-power train more or less permanently, well, that's just stupid. As mentioned, power replacement from conventional sources is going to drive costs up and air quality down; additionally, they're likely to drive background radiation levels up as well (as natural radionuclides are liberated from conventional fuels by burning).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
You would think that they could run the whole country off of geothermal  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 01:15:22 PM »
they're likely to drive background radiation levels up as well (as natural radionuclides are liberated from conventional fuels by burning).

Oh hell now you've done it. You'll have the *expletive deleted*ing hippies up in arms about radioactive oil and *expletive deleted*it and then we'll be *expletive deleted*ed when the EPA does their will.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Well I know one man who is very happy to hear this.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner