Author Topic: Ranger Coffee: "Sleep is a crutch"  (Read 4077 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Ranger Coffee: "Sleep is a crutch"
« on: July 24, 2007, 01:27:38 PM »
'Ranger Coffee'   [W. Thomas Smith Jr.]

'Sleep is a crutch:'

A few years ago, it dawned on Zach Thomas that coffee didn't have enough caffeine. At the time, he was pulling all-nighters as a student at the United States Military Academy at West Point. By the time he became an instructor at the U.S. Army Ranger School in Fort Benning, Ga., he lived by a common saying at his school: "Sleep is a crutch." "I used to just drink a pot of coffee, but then you have to go to the bathroom 100 times during the day. If you could just get more caffeine in one cup, then that would be the best of both worlds," he says. In 2005 Thomas, now 30, founded Ranger Coffee, with a "hypercaffeinated" blend that contains double the caffeine of regular coffee, or about 300 milligrams per 12-ounce servingthe equivalent of six Diet Cokes. ...

Thomas is selling 1,700 bags of Ranger Coffee, annually. And half of his sales go to troops in Iraq.[/size]

One of my old XOs used to always use that term, "X is a crutch."  Damn fine man who just wanted to destroy the enemy by means of fires and maneuver.

07/23 01:20 PM

From the guy's website:
The Ranger Blend is a 100% "Specialty Grade" (the very best) Arabica coffee blend roasted to a "Full City" roast level. The "Full City" roast is a medium dark roast where the beans are taken well into the "2nd Crack" to bring out the unique flavor profiles of each component. The three bean blend is comprised of Ethiopian Harrar, Sumatran GM, & Tanzania Peaberry and is full bodied with a medium acidic, sweet, rich and nutty taste.   

The Hyper-Caff Ranger Blend uses the Ranger Blend as a base and is "hyper-caffeinated" to produce the same flavor profile but with approximately twice the caffeine content.

The Airborne Prop Blast Blend is also 100% "Specialty Grade" Arabica coffee blend roasted to a "Full City++" roast level. The "Full City++" roast is a DARK roast. The three bean blend is comprised of Colombian Supremo, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, & Tanzania Peaberry with a different flavor profile than Ranger Coffee; substantial body, low acidity, hints of dark chocolate with a velvety smooth finish.  If you like a Dark Roast . . . Airborne Prop Blast is for you.

Each batch of coffee is "Micro-Roasted" and immediately packaged to ensure only the freshest coffee reaches the customer.   After you start drinking FRESH Arabica Coffee Like Ranger and Airborne Coffee, you would rather drink pond water than cheap coffee. What better way to support our troops and use coffee as a reminder to Pray for them every morning while you are drinking your cup of "Joe."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Paddy

Re: Ranger Coffee: "Sleep is a crutch"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:05:25 PM »
Oh yeah, more high dollar special grade coffee.  I want the beans grown on the east side of the mountain, between 7000 and 9000 feet.  I want them picked only by a young virgin wearing a green thong early in the morning, roasted in a tandoori oven heated to exactly 375 degrees for 27 minutes.  I then want it ground with a mortar and pestle to a uniform consistency before being perfectly brewed by pouring exactly 11 oz of fresh spring water from the Fiji Islands with a silica content of 300ppm.  That's for black coffee, anything more will require additional specifications.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:27:53 PM »
"I want the beans grown on the east side of the mountain..."

You can get that blend at any Starbucks around the world...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:18:19 PM »
The best and most frugal coffee I've ever had came from the Dominican Republic. I DO need to get some more. I've been drinking coffee since I was FIVE. If it stunted my growth, I'm glad. I stand at 6'4". (That's with almost 30 years of shrinkage!!)

That's a bit spendy, $1/oz

http://www.rangercoffee.com/shop.htm
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
Wow, they're making "crack coffee" and it isn't even illegal (yet)  shocked

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:29:20 PM »
There was a hy-test coffee blend out a few years ago called "Pony Express".  It's secret was to blend in some Robusta which have a higher caffeine content.  I have to wonder about the "hyper-caffeination".  I'm not sure it belongs within the same arms reach with full-auto weaponry.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:11:17 AM »
Another hyperkinetic endeavour. 
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:15:50 AM »
We would just put the instant coffee from the MRE in one cheek, a pinch of Copenhagen in the other, smoke a cigarette, while chugging Mountain Dew to wash down a No-Doz or three.

Never had a problem staying awake..........    shocked grin rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 02:56:37 AM »
Hey scout26, BTDT a few times.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 04:34:51 AM »
We would just put the instant coffee from the MRE in one cheek, a pinch of Copenhagen in the other, smoke a cigarette, while chugging Mountain Dew to wash down a No-Doz or three.

Never had a problem staying awake..........    shocked grin rolleyes

You forgot to add that a few people had their heads spontaneously explode....   Smiley
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 04:50:51 AM »
I'd rather drink pond water than any coffee.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 04:52:47 AM »

Wimp.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 07:04:51 AM »
Pond water makes good "real man's" coffee

Nice, full-bodied taste

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 07:32:12 AM »

I'll be making coffee from pond water when I head to the BWCA in a couple weeks. I'm even going to use a french press.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 08:12:36 AM »

I'll be making coffee from pond water when I head to the BWCA in a couple weeks. I'm even going to use a french press.

-C

Charby, you going up 169 through Elk River or 35 through Duluth??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 08:28:55 AM »

-C

Charby, you going up 169 through Elk River or 35 through Duluth??

Duluth, but I'm riding passenger in a van.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »
OK. Thought we could hook up were you coming through Elk River and on up 169. 169 does tend to be a bit more painful going around Mille Lacs.

USMILNET

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 10:00:35 AM »
Well if I like my first experience to BWCA I'll probably be back next summer.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 10:51:47 AM »
From what I understand is that it is a beautiful and pleasant area. I have read that the most painful parts of the excursions up there are the portages. I have gone as far North as Ely, but never into the BWCA. With the  back problems I have today, I don't see much hiking/camping in my future.

USMILNET

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 10:57:54 AM »
From what I understand is that it is a beautiful and pleasant area. I have read that the most painful parts of the excursions up there are the portages. I have gone as far North as Ely, but never into the BWCA. With the  back problems I have today, I don't see much hiking/camping in my future.

I was told my longest portage is going to be 180 rods, or 1/2 mile. I think is shouldn't be to bad. The part I am going to have to get over is not showering for eight days and wearing the same 2 sets of clothes for the duration.

I am going to pack some good coffee though. Smiley I just don;t know what yet, maybe some 100% kona

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.