Author Topic: Politician forgets national anthem  (Read 1043 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Politician forgets national anthem
« on: July 24, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/23/europe/belgium.php

Top politician forgets Belgian national anthem
By Dan Bilefsky
Published: July 23, 2007

BRUSSELS: Belgium was reeling Monday after the country's likely new prime minister was asked on Belgium's National Day to sing the national anthem and inadvertently launched into the French anthem instead.

Asked Saturday by a reporter from a state television channel, RTBF, to sing the Belgian national anthem, "La Brabançonne," on the day commemorating the accession of King Leopold I of Belgium to the throne in 1831, Yves Leterme, a Flemish politician who is struggling to form a coalition government, smiled at the camera and blurted out, "Allons enfants de la patrie" - the first words of "La Marseillaise."

Pressed by the reporter as to whether he really thought those were the words, Leterme, the head of the Flemish Christian Democrat party, replied: "Oh, I don't know." Shortly afterward, he was filmed making a telephone call on his cellphone during a religious service, and, in a final gaffe, he proclaimed in an interview at the independence festivities that his countrymen were, in fact, celebrating "the proclamation of the Constitution."

The missteps by Leterme, who has annoyed Francophones by saying they are too stupid or unwilling to learn Flemish, came as Belgium, divided between Dutch-speaking Flanders in the north and French-speaking Wallonia in the south, is struggling to overcome its linguistic divisions in the face of a growing Flemish nationalist movement that supports an independent Flanders.

The public gaffes by the country's likely future leader caused a fury in this country of 10 million people, where last year a hoax report on RTBF proclaiming that Flanders had seceded from Belgium provoked hundreds of frantic calls to the station from Belgians across the world.

Footage of Leterme's fumbled performance was splashed across the Belgian media on Sunday and was circulating on the Internet video site YouTube. Under the headline, "Leterme Sings Wrongly," a story on the front page of the Monday Le Soir newspaper reminded Belgians of the correct opening words of "La Brabançonne."

It is perhaps no small irony that Leterme's efforts to forge a coalition government have stalled so far because French and Flemish politicians cannot agree on how to apportion powers between Belgium's linguistic regions and the federal government.

Some Belgian commentators said Leterme's ignorance was a healthy sign of a nation free of nationalism. "I can understand why some people think it is ridiculous," said Bernard Bulcke, the European correspondent for De Standaard, the leading Flemish newspaper. "But one must remember that Belgium was an artificial construction, we have been invaded throughout our history by other powers and created by them. Maybe it is positive that nationalism doesn't exist in Belgium. So we can't sing the national anthem. Who cares?"

Leterme was unavailable for comment.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Paddy

Re: Politician forgets national anthem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
eh, Belgium, France, what's the difference anyway.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:52:03 PM »
Abair, a bheil sibh urrainn chì ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 05:07:52 PM »
I am surprised he did not do a truly fabulous rendition of "The Internationale".
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:35:33 PM »
My understanding is that the French think of Belgium the same way a blue-stater looks at hillbillies.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
Belgium is famous for beer.  Did this happen right after their two hour lunches. cheesy
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 04:55:11 AM »
The French HAVE a national anthem?

Oh yeah...

We surrender, we surrender we surrender unconditionally!

Please don't hurt us, please don't hurt us, we'll be good!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.