Author Topic: Elizabeth Edwards gives up Tangerines to fight Global Warming  (Read 1277 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0707/No_tangerines_for_you.html
The politics of global warming got very concrete, and oddly difficult, in a meeting with local environmentalists in the coastal town of McClellanville today, where Elizabeth Edwards raised in passing the importance of relying on locally-grown fruit.

"We've been moving back to 'buy local,'" Mrs. Edwards said, outlining a trade policy that "acknowledges the carbon footprint" of transporting fruit.

"I live in North Carolina. I'll probably never eat a tangerine again," she said, speaking of a time when the fruit is reaches the price that it "needs" to be.

Edwards had talked about "sacrifice," at the meeting, but Elizabeth's suggestion illustrated just how difficult it is to sell the specifics of sacrifice.

Asked about her comment immediately after the event, John Edwards avoided the question twice, then said he isn't sure.

"Would I add to the price of food?" he asked. "I'd have to think about that."

UPDATE: Just to be clear, he's not talking about a food tax. The basic point is that any plan that imposes new costs on carbon emissions is going to make anything that's transported long distances with fossil fuels cost more. It is, in a way, a moment of clarity in this debate.

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Elizabeth Edwards gives up Tangerines to fight Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:34:16 AM »
They can have my tangerines when they pry them from my cold, dead hands!  police
Andy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 05:45:39 AM »
Just think, if everyone subscribed to this philosophy, in certain parts of the country we could see scurvy outbreaks again. How cool is that?

How fast would the country grind to a standstill if no one bought anything that wasn't grown or manufactured locally? About a week?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 05:47:02 AM »
I wonder if anyone actually believes she'd give up anything?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:55:02 AM »
I wonder if the lumber for her 30,000 (THIRTY THOUSAND!) square foot mansion was grown, cut, and milled locally, with careful replanting of the logged timber?

Me, I'm willing to give up lima beans, brussle sprouts, kohlrabi, and poi. 

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Vile Nylons

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:57:51 AM »
What is she going to do about toilet paper?

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 06:27:01 AM »
It is a well-known fact that exhaling releases CO2. If these people want to really convince me that they are serious they can stop exhaling.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 07:15:28 AM »
Well, we all have to do our part.  I gave up okra.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 07:44:44 AM »
What is she going to do about toilet paper?

She is going to use Sheryl Crow's one square method. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 08:03:18 AM »
I wonder if the reduced demand for tangerines caused ships to dump them into the ocean off the coast of California. If these tangerines were eaten by squid, it could cause them to grow to super proportions, like when Pop-Eye eats spinich.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 09:40:29 AM »
I plan on giving up brussel sprouts ... if I ever start liking them.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB