Author Topic: "Failure to Launch" program for slackards/slugs  (Read 7513 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
"Failure to Launch" program for slackards/slugs
« on: November 13, 2011, 05:25:03 AM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CAMP_FAILURE_TO_LAUNCH?SITE=VARIT&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"We see more failure to launch because there's less to launch into," says Joshua Coleman, a psychologist who is the co-chairman of the Council on Contemporary Families, a nonprofit organization that tracks trends in American families.

These days, even young men from families with means who get into good schools - like those who come to this residential program in the mountains northwest of Boulder - are having a hard time getting a foothold.

"They are depressed, anxious, overwhelmed and underprepared," says Joseph DeNucci, one of the founders of this program, called Insight Intensive at Gold Lake.

He calls it "an epidemic."

With his broad Brooklyn accent, DeNucci stands out in a place like this, a former retreat for the wealthy on a private lake. He developed swanky spas in Arizona and elsewhere. But he had always longed to do something for young men who struggled to find their way, as he had in his teen years. He sold his spa in Arizona and, with other investors, bought the land and buildings to create this different kind of retreat.

"For years, we've been sending people to 12-step programs. But this 18- or 19-year-old who's smoking pot, playing World of Warcraft and sitting on the couch in his parents' home - is he an addict? No. He might be working on being an addict," DeNucci says.

But there's something more going on, he says.

These young men also might have issues with depression and anxiety, though the program does not accept those who have severe psychiatric problems or who've used hard drugs or abused prescription painkillers. Nor can they have a history of violence or a criminal record.

For these guys, the key issues are an absence of motivation, and the lack of what DeNucci and his staff call "an early adult life plan."

The Insight program, which has space for no more than 25 young men, ages 18 to 23, involves a stay of three to four months at a cost of $350 a day. That's usually paid by parents who are at their wits' end - but who also may unwittingly be part of what is surely a multi-layered problem.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more effective to just kick them out on their slackard butts?  $10,500 a month?  In today's economy? :facepalm:

I am amazed.

And I want a do-over -- someone give me parents that will send me to a camp like this for 4 months.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: "Failure to Launch" program for slackards/slugs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:51:30 AM »
For $30,000 you could simply rent them a cheap flat and provide them with food somewhere for two years. Seems more likely to work than this "Camp".
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:53:47 AM »
For $30,000 you could simply rent them a cheap flat and provide them with food somewhere for two years. Seems more likely to work than this "Camp".

Unemployment insurance has been doing that for my ex for over a year now.  Doesn't appear to have worked.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »

I think giving these people free stuff without restrictions or conditions is part of the original problem.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
That's usually paid by parents who are at their wits' end - but who also may unwittingly be part of what is surely a multi-layered problem.

Ya think?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:20:38 PM »
Is it too early to start posting snarky comments on a) the goals at the end of 3 or 4 months being to be able to apply for an apartment and/or a job on their own, with the help and support of staff/mentors/tutors; or b) the progress one guy made after 4 months in deciding he wanted to get an apartment and teach guitar in a coffee house?

Do they still have coffee houses?  The hippies there must be taking hits of Geritol that they finance with their Medicare cards.

Crap!  I was a hippie - for about 6 weeks.  I'm retired and get a check from Social Security (darned right I'm getting back every penny I can from that Ponzi scheme - big Thank You to you whippersnappers who are financing my Golder Tears. :-*  Even when I was a short-haired hippie I had a job that supported me, so maybe I was doing it wrong.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »
I read stories like this, and I just kick myself for not being smart enough to come up with this sort of scam program to fill unmet needs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
The Insight program, which has space for no more than 25 young men, ages 18 to 23, involves a stay of three to four months at a cost of $350 a day. That's usually paid by parents who are at their wits' end - but who also may unwittingly be part of what is surely a multi-layered problem.

It has always been my understanding that the US Government runs several free 8-week camps for young men who struggled to find their way.

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:05:44 PM »
But surely if Mommy and Daddy send them to summer camp that will help them to grow up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »
But surely if Mommy and Daddy send them to summer camp that will help them to grow up.

Only if the camp name starts with the word "Fort"  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »

Camp Pendleton and Camp Lejuene.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »

13 weeks and they actually pay you!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »

My bad  :facepalm:

They wouldn't take me because of asthma, even if I still wanted to by then.

My wandering misspent youth was doing things like grease-monkeying, sawmill hand, nail-beater, and logger.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »

Nope, forts are Army bases, and our standards are way too high for these bozos. Camp Lejeune sounds just about right for 'em.  :cool:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »
Camp Lejeune

Help me out here - my french is not so good:

"The Yellow Camp"  ???

erictank

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 05:08:57 PM »
It has always been my understanding that the US Government runs several free 8-week camps for young men who struggled to find their way.

:lol:

They range from 6 weeks to 13, IIRC.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 05:12:47 PM »
I have often thought how we could use a 21st century version of the Civilian Conservation Corps again.  Especially when I see the deferred maintenance and general decripitude of the National Parks and Forest lands.  Here in this area, there are mountain roads and trails that have been impassable for years now because of blow-downs, washouts and landslides, and there is no money in the budget to fix them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 05:49:05 PM »
Here in this area, there are mountain roads and trails that have been impassable for years now because of blow-downs, washouts and landslides, and there is no money in the budget to fix them.

Wilderness Areas!  =D

Actually, they might be letting it run down so that they can declare it "roadless"  :mad:

They declared a place "wilderness" down in Colorado that had roads and active mining claims in it.  Then they fixed up the trails and built paved parked lots with flush toliets at the trailheads so people could hike in the "wilderness."  ;/   Now everybody with a backpack sees it on a map and goes there, where it used to be only a few diehards parked their cars in the ditch and tramped in.  But of course they are "protecting" it.

Anyway...

I'm just a cynical old man when it comes to these worthless wayward youths.  It's all the fault of their worthless wayward parents who should have given them a swat and something to do.  At this point I think we just need a plague to kill off 7/8 of the species  =(

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »

Know a guy that fits that description.  It's a cross between "because they can", and because things really do suck.

A lady at work when I just started mentioned off hand that she found it refreshing that not everyone in my generation is lacking in education or drive.  I reminded her that folks in my generation that work hard, are well educated, et al are plentiful, but low profile.  The nail that sticks up and all that.

On the other hand...

Basically, every person my age believes life will be worse for them than the preceding generation.  I doubt they are wrong.  There is no such thing as job security, loyalty, or whatnot.  Perhaps it didn't exist previously either, but the perception is now that no employer will return even a fraction of the loyalty you put in.  It's easy to become jaded, cynical and give up.  Doing what one can in the face of bad things is not an easy task.  There are times when I question the wisdom of all those hours I spent gaining knowledge, working hard, etc. 

My take out of this is that I want to start my own business someday.  I may succeed, I may fail, but I've worked in the military, government, publicly held companies, privately held companies.  I'd like to work for myself.  Maybe someday escape the rat race.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »
They fail to launch because Mom and Dad fail to create a hostile and unwelcoming environment for them to be motivated enough to launch from.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
but the perception is now that no employer will return even a fraction of the loyalty you put in

I never did much believe that.  My mom thought I should have a lifetime career and retire like she did.  I've had so many careers by now that I've lost count.  =)

I'd like to work for myself.  Maybe someday escape the rat race.

Same race, different rats  ;)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 07:46:52 PM »
Help me out here - my french is not so good:

"The Yellow Camp"  ???

Actually, Camp Lejune is named after General Lejune, 13th Commondant of the Marine Corps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Lejeune

Oh, and for those who would really like clarification,
The Marine Corps Recuit depot on the East Coast is Parris Island.  Not a camp, it is an MCRD.  The one on the West Coast is MCRD San Diego.

I have often thought how we could use a 21st century version of the Civilian Conservation Corps again.  Especially when I see the deferred maintenance and general decripitude of the National Parks and Forest lands.  Here in this area, there are mountain roads and trails that have been impassable for years now because of blow-downs, washouts and landslides, and there is no money in the budget to fix them.

Would certainly be money better spent than on TARP, Stimuli I through III, and 99 weeks + 99 weeks unemployment.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:50:04 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
Okay - apparently "jeune" means "young"

Here's where I got confused: Tête Jaune is French for yellow head

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%AAte_Jaune_Cache,_British_Columbia

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
Know a guy that fits that description.  It's a cross between "because they can", and because things really do suck.

A lady at work when I just started mentioned off hand that she found it refreshing that not everyone in my generation is lacking in education or drive.  I reminded her that folks in my generation that work hard, are well educated, et al are plentiful, but low profile.  The nail that sticks up and all that.

On the other hand...

Basically, every person my age believes life will be worse for them than the preceding generation.  I doubt they are wrong.  There is no such thing as job security, loyalty, or whatnot.  Perhaps it didn't exist previously either, but the perception is now that no employer will return even a fraction of the loyalty you put in.  It's easy to become jaded, cynical and give up.  Doing what one can in the face of bad things is not an easy task.  There are times when I question the wisdom of all those hours I spent gaining knowledge, working hard, etc. 

My take out of this is that I want to start my own business someday.  I may succeed, I may fail, but I've worked in the military, government, publicly held companies, privately held companies.  I'd like to work for myself.  Maybe someday escape the rat race.

My son and two of my stepsons fit the description given of today's aimless youth.  Paul got blown up in Afghanistan for his reward in trying to better himself.  My son got crapped on by Village Inn for his loyalty and the third is in college taking 15 credit hours so he can prove to the Navy that he is a good risk.  I mis-spent my youth in Vietnam and various hospitals overseas and in the States.  I am not sure there is a good answer for today's youth, I know I don't have one.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
My take out of this is that I want to start my own business someday... I'd like to work for myself.  Maybe someday escape the rat race.
I'd like to file a complaint about the moccasins I ordered...  :mad:

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams