Author Topic: The Modern Condition?  (Read 2063 times)

Antibubba

• friend
The Modern Condition?
« on: September 01, 2007, 03:20:03 PM »
Some of this hits home.  And since this is a fine piece of writing, I thought I'd link it and see what y'all have to say.

http://www.bestcyrano.org/THOMASPAINE/?p=242
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

wooderson

• friend
Re: The Modern Condition?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »
"Simplifying to the extreme, I define postmodern as incredulity toward metanarratives. This incredulity is undoubtedly a product of progress in the sciences: but that progress in turn presupposes it. To the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation corresponds, most notably, the crisis of metaphysical philosophy and of the university institution which in the past relied on it. The narrative function is losing its functors, its great hero, its great dangers, its great voyages, its great goal. It is being dispersed in clouds of narrative language elements--narrative, but also denotative, prescriptive, descriptive, and so on [...] Where, after the metanarratives, can legitimacy reside?"

Oh, you said the modern condition, never mind.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »
Some of this hits home.  And since this is a fine piece of writing, I thought I'd link it and see what y'all have to say.

Some of it I think is rather overly bleak and a bit over the top.  Some isn't.

I do wonder how people can afford the massive debt they rank up.  Student loans alone, yikes.  How the heck can people entering the labor force deal with 100k in debt?  I seriously wonder how people my age can rack up tens of thousands in credit card debt. 

Personally, I plan on keeping my expenses down, invest a bit, and eventually purchase a decent amount of land flat out.  Maybe try my hand at running a small business.  That's down the road.  The article did have one thing right.  I'd rather eat a gun than spend the next 40 years in a cube.   I'm still young (26), and at the moment have decent prospects.  I don't expect the future to be rosy, so I'd rather live within my means now and save for tomorrow. 

Thing is, seeing the archtype 'company man', that's what I've never done and hopefully never will be.  I do not want the white picket fence, 2.5 kids, being forced to work a job I hate to get by, etc etc.  Sigh.  Time to get some sleep.  Need to be in at work in 5 hours to get the new server online.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 06:01:56 AM »
That hits home in a lot of ways, yes.

Thankfully, I work for a company that seems to reward merit, not office politics.

In most, (including a former dotcom) the only way to get to the top is to viciously step on those whom you wish to climb over...or to work 80+ hour work weeks and have no memories but the inside of a cubicle under bleak fluorescent light.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:16:44 AM »
Interesting.

I'm guessing the guy's an atheist, in addition to being leftist.  And he's nowhere near 50.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 10:50:23 AM »
And what's wrong with being an atheist, now? Some atheists have a strong morality not based on hope of reward, but just due to an innate sense of right and wrong in a humanistic sense.

The idea of "work your posterior off, suffer, and you'll enjoy an eternal reward" was not part of any religion originally, mind you. That was brought about by manipulative leaders, feudal lords, early Church popes and others to keep the serfs in line and give them reason to endure their squalid, miserable existence. If they worked really hard and suffered, they'd get a reward in the next life, etc.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »
Manedwolf, I'm really curious where you get that view of religion.  I also wonder why you would make the generalization that religious people only do good things out of hope for some eternal reward. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 03:32:04 PM »
What a bunch of witless drivel. I can't relate to it at all. And I work for a Fortune 500 company, 30yr mortgage, and have a child on the way.  undecided

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 03:37:58 PM »
I also wonder why you would make the generalization that religious people only do good things out of hope for some eternal reward.

That struck me as odd, too.  You need to have religious rewards as a carrot-and-stick approach to being a good person?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 03:46:31 PM »
I heard an atheist argue recently that "good" atheists deserve more respect because they don't have the carrot or stick to motivate them.  I guess that works, until you consider the atheist only needs do what he judges is right.  Must be nice.   smiley

I should add that the carrot-stick sort of thinking doesn't apply that well to Christianity, either, what with all the forgiveness and salvation by grace, and so forth.  Especially for those who believe they cannot lose their salvation. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 04:29:33 PM »
Interesting.

I'm guessing the guy's an atheist, in addition to being leftist.  And he's nowhere near 50.

Bingo. 

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts he also:
1. Does not have kids (If he does, he is not married to their mother and does not live with them.  IOW, a sperm donor, not a father)
2. Never was in the military (If he was, I think he & Scott Thomas Beauchamp would get along swimmingly)
3. Is a leftist & desperate to immanentize the eschaton.

Read his mini-bio:

Adam Engel is a Contributing Editor for Cyranos Journal. Adam has published poetry, fiction, articles, and reviews in several web sites and magazines such as CounterPunch, Dissident Voice, Online Journal, Hudson Review, Accent, The Concord Journal, Beacon, Art World, Ward6 Review, CounterCurrents, LewRockwell.com, Literal Latte, Lummux, POESY, Chronogram, Press Action,and many others. Adam was a featured reader, along with Robert Creeley, Suzanne Pomme Vega, Robert Bly and others at the Woodstock Poetry Festival, August, 2001, where he read from his first book of poetry, Oil & Water. He can be reached at bartleby.samsa@verizon.net, or at his partially completed (very partially) website at www.adamengel.com.

That sort of writing is pretty distinctive, 'bout as distinctive as that of a "lays on hands, speaks in tongues" charismatic Christian.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 06:30:36 PM »
Manedwolf, I'm really curious where you get that view of religion.  I also wonder why you would make the generalization that religious people only do good things out of hope for some eternal reward.

I don't.

In my experience, humanist atheists and real Christians, in the true sense, get along quite well. They share a sense of common decency to mankind, and do things because it's right to do them. The Christian might believe they're being observed, the atheist might just have a vested interest in promoting the future of mankind, promoting knowledge and alleviating suffering, but the goal is the same, as is the motivation. I don't see any conflict there. You help an old lady across the street, you rescue a kitten from a drain, you risk your own life to pull someone from a crashed vehicle, because it's the right thing to do in the most basic definition of human.

Yeah, there's nihilist atheists, but they're boring and depressing. I don't know any personally. They have no purpose.

In my experience, what I call actual Christians go by the idea of "good deeds are best done unseen". The only sort of religious sorts I, personally, don't get along with are the ones who only do "good deeds" when under the spotlight for everyone to see, or, in their own minds, in hopes of a shinier afterlife. Thankfully, I don't meet too many of those, the "church of the holy rolex" sort one sees on televangelist programs. I've met a few, and I was repulsed...crucifixes on every non-mobile surface in their home, but seemingly more as an excuse than a symbol of anything to aspire to...truly mean, small people. I don't consider that sort to be Christians, really.

Most good Christians of the sort I know are just good, quiet family people who do good deeds out the kindess of their own hearts. So are good people of other religions. I went to a lot of Passover seders as a kid, family friends and such. And I get along with them quite well. They want to raise their family with morals, whether the basis of that is their scripture or, in the case of good atheists and agnostics, the basic laws of human decency and civilization...they're pretty much the same laws. Any civilization that's lasted long at all has learned to live by them.

And I get along with that sort far better than I do with selfish leftists, who are usually absolute and complete hypocrites in every sense of the word.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 08:16:03 AM »
I guess that works, until you consider the atheist only needs do what he judges is right.  Must be nice.

It is nice not to have to be following some preacher-person giving us his (or her, can't be sexist here Wink ) interpretation of right/wrong.  Or do you judge for yourself what your scriptures mean?

Besides, what is the big difference between the "non-aggression principle" and "treating your neighbor as you would be treated" ?  (the latter of which I fully agree with anyway - doesn't matter who the quote is attributed to)

BTW, I guess I now would be called an "agnostic" rather than an "atheist."  I've never really believed that the visible is all there is, although it's mostly all we have to work with.  This of course puts me in the unique position of being equally derided by both the strict scientific atheist and the believers.  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin