Author Topic: More on equality v. racism  (Read 1143 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
More on equality v. racism
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:34:10 AM »
http://www.mrctv.org/blog/black-student-group-offers-cpr-training-black-students-only

Is it racist for the York [University] United Black Students’ Alliance to offer CPR training only for black students? Does York University have a York United White Students' Alliance? If not, why not?

It appears that York University is in Toronto, so I guess I can't suggest that the existence of this group violates any federal laws, although it might -- I'm not at all conversant with Canadian law regarding non-discrimination.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: More on equality v. racism
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
I really don't give a damn if it is racist or not.  They can do it if they want to.  My issue is if white students wanted to have CPR training for white students only, these same people would have a big problem with it.

The amusing thing is the dummies they do CPR on were likely used by all sorts of people in the previous class the instructor gave.  We did use the plastic one-way valves to blow through last time I did it so there is very little chance of anyone getting cooties (or herpes). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »
It would be amusing if some American (as opposed to Left-wing) college students established an anti-racism club on campus, with the ostensible purpose of helping one another overcome their racist tendencies. Of course, they could only allow white members, because no one else can be racist.

Club activities would include black-face, to better understand the black experience.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »
I really don't give a damn if it is racist or not.  They can do it if they want to.  My issue is if white students wanted to have CPR training for white students only, these same people would have a big problem with it.

Agreed. As long as there are NO government/public funds being used to support this racist, exclusionary organization.

The amusing thing is the dummies they do CPR on were likely used by all sorts of people in the previous class the instructor gave.  We did use the plastic one-way valves to blow through last time I did it so there is very little chance of anyone getting cooties (or herpes). 

How long ago did you do the training? The first time I did it, four or five years ago, it included breathing as well as compressions. I took it again maybe two years ago and the new protocol was to just do compressions, no breathing. The new theory (so the instructor told us) is that there's enough oxygen in the blood to sustain the brain for at least ten minutes as long as the heart keeps pumping the blood around.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »
They are back to do breaths as of last 2015 when I recerted.

I think there can be some variation between American Heart Association and American Red Cross classes as well.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:13:48 PM »
Agreed. As long as there are NO government/public funds being used to support this racist, exclusionary organization.

How long ago did you do the training? The first time I did it, four or five years ago, it included breathing as well as compressions. I took it again maybe two years ago and the new protocol was to just do compressions, no breathing. The new theory (so the instructor told us) is that there's enough oxygen in the blood to sustain the brain for at least ten minutes as long as the heart keeps pumping the blood around.
We did it last month.  I remember no breathing from the last time or two.  They are back to 30 compressions and 2 breaths.  They did stress to not take much time on the breaths as the blood needs to be kept moving.  They also mentioned that compressions do move a little air in the lungs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
It sure would be nice if they'd make up their *^%#)(&*%^%ing minds ...

So you're saying I should put those tube/masks back in my first aid kit, then?

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
It would be amusing if some American (as opposed to Left-wing) college students established an anti-racism club on campus, with the ostensible purpose of helping one another overcome their racist tendencies. Of course, they could only allow white members, because no one else can be racist.

I like the sort of exercise that forces people to bump in to the contradictions in their opinions.  But this one would result in brain freeze from an infinite Go-To loop.  People could be hurt.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
I like the sort of exercise that forces people to bump in to the contradictions in their opinions.  But this one would result in brain freeze from an infinite Go-To loop.  People could be hurt.
I am picturing a bunch of white kids in black hoods chanting "Black Power".   :laugh:    :facepalm: