Author Topic: Thumb drive question  (Read 2682 times)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
Thumb drive question
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:11:09 PM »
I am thinking about getting a thumb drive, but I don't know if my computer has the necessary hardware or software. 

Will any USB port work, or will I need to install a USB port that is set up for the drive? 

My computer runs XP.  The software I need comes with the drive, right? 

Thanks.

mgdavis

• friend
Re: Thumb drive question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »
It should all be plug-n-play. Check the thumb drive packaging to see that it says XP compatible, if you want some peace of mind. The only time I've ever had a problem was with a drive that wasn't Vista compatible, but they should all work fine with that now, too.

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »
Thanks. 

Anybody else have advice? 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »
Avoid anything that says "U3" on it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
There's 2 versions of USB... USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 (aka High Speed USB).

Version 1 is 12 megabit per second.

Version 2 is 480 megabit per second.

Version 2 has been standard on most computers for the last 3-4 years, but if your computer is older you might have a mix of v1 and v2 ports, or only v1 ports.

Also, WinXP has USB 2.0 driver support bundled into one of the service packs... I want to say SP2, but I can't remember.  The native OS downgrades USB 2 to USB 1 speeds, which sucks.  Make sure you have SP2 installed on your computer.

Transferring files at 12 megabits per second sucks though.  If you find your thumbdrive is painfully slow, look at your USB speeds for a potential solution.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »
Avoid anything that says "U3" on it.

Why?  I've got a SanDisk U3 2 GB drive that I use a lot.  It was cheap and works well.

It does mount 2 disk devices when you plug it in which is a bit annoying (a read only filesystem with some utilties, and the main thumbdrive), but I've actually had use for those utilities.

Reliability issues, or just didn't like the software?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »
There have been numerous problems with the U3 software. 

My own experience is that it would freeze or blue screen my computer whenever I plugged the drive in.  The fix was to remove the U3 software from the thumbdrive.  But that's a lot easier said than done.

Also. flash memory has a limited number of read and write operations before the memory starts to fail.  Trying to execute complex software directly from the thumbdrive can "wear out" the drive prematurely.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »
I also recommend steering clear of U3, or any flashdrive that has software on it, for that matter.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 02:33:10 PM »
I've got a fistful of these drives around, various makes and models, some with security and other software aboard, some not.  Never had a problem with any of them.
And I have read where they have made real progress on the limited read/write cycles problem.

Oh, "fistful", poor choice of words, I know. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »
I am pretty partial to the Sandisk Ultra II USB/SD card.  It's an SD card that fits into any SD slot on a camera, laptop, multireader, but it also bends in half to reveal a USB connector, so it can be used in any USB slot, just like a thumb drive.  I use it at school all the time.  I leave it inside my laptop's SD reader slot, so it is completely recessed inside the laptop, unlike a thumbdrive.  But if I need to print something or move files onto a computer that does not have an SD slot, I just use the built in USB connector.  And it is plug and play just like any other thumb drive.  It even has a keychain carrier, though I don't use it much.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Plus-2GB-Card/dp/B000EWI8IK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218843966&sr=8-1

Eleven Mike

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 06:18:58 PM »
Yeah, don't bring fistful into this.   cheesy

I got myself a Polaroid 2 gig, 2.0 unit for about 23 bucks.  Working fine so far, although I think my USB ports are 1.1.  It will be mainly for Word docs.  And no U3, Mr. Headless Man.   smiley

Thanks a lot, everybody. 

mfree

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 03:53:08 AM »
I have an el-cheapo 1Gb drive which has worked great everywhere (3 different OSes, etc.) and for anything bigger I haul around a Maxtor 120Gb portable USB-powered HDD.

I hear the 16GB flash drives are getting cheaper by the hour...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 04:14:10 AM »
I hear the 16GB flash drives are getting cheaper by the hour...

Good to hear. I just got myself an Asus Eee. With a 16 gig flash, I'll be able to boot an entirely separate Linux distro and files from the SD slot. Nothing like carrying around multiple computer systems for a bitty little laptop on bitty little SD cards. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 05:10:53 AM »
Last week I bought a 16GB thumb drive from the bulk bins at Microcenter.  $50.

8GB ($25) & 16GB seem to be the sweet spot for bulk thumb drives, at the moment.

Higher-performance (effective xfer rate) is a different story.  If I were to use one to boot an OS or run serious apps off of, I would investigate some higher-perf thumbs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 08:21:33 AM »
The microcenter bulk flash drives are very cheap, but they are also very small. I have tried several times to use them as bootable system drives and they just don't cut it for whatever reason. Still a great value for carrying around music or something, though.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine