Author Topic: tick removal  (Read 6079 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
tick removal
« on: October 30, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »
i've been finding a tick on our dog, every week or so.  tweezers almost always leave the head behind.  is there a better way to remove ticks?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: tick removal
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Supposedly coating the tick with Vaseline causes the tick to back out and seek air -- but I think it takes awhile, and then you have to clean the Vaseline off the pooch.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
Alcohol does the job as I understand.  We had outside hound dogs when I was kid.  I never used tweezers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
Det cord.

I just get ahold of them and pull them off by hand. Same as I do for the ones that get on me. Our lab's coat is so thick we can't even see the tiny ones. When the tiny ones get on me I end up hooking them with a fingernail to get them off.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54:59 AM »
Alcohol does the job as I understand.  We had outside hound dogs when I was kid.  I never used tweezers. 

What alcohol do hound dogs prefer?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »
Tick Twister works excellent, but don't twist it out, just pull straight.

One thing the CDC is actually good for:
How to remove a tick

Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible.
    Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don't twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.
    After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol, an iodine scrub, or soap and water.

Avoid folklore remedies such as "painting" the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible--not waiting for it to detach.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »
when I got them on me as a kid, dad would heat up the tip of a needle and poke them with it and that worked pretty well.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »
The problem with non-mechanical methods is that the tick will often vomit back into your blood stream before backing out. If it's infected with something like Lyme disease, this is a good way to get it transmitted into you.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 10:47:34 AM »
I just get ahold of them and pull them off by hand. Same as I do for the ones that get on me. Our lab's coat is so thick we can't even see the tiny ones. When the tiny ones get on me I end up hooking them with a fingernail to get them off.

Yeah, and we have to pull them off the horses too, especially in certain places.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »
Det cord.

that's our problem as well.  chloe's fur is long and thick, making discovery difficult until they are latched on pretty well and bloated.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »
Someone told me to use tweezers once.

I ended up with a bloody, squashed, decapitated tick.

;/

I use my nails and just pop the suckers off. It's faster and work fine if you do it right.

I spend a lot of time yanking ticks off dogs. I'll get a cap full of rubbing alcohol and just pop 'em off and stick them in the cap. It's not uncommen for me to end up with 15 or 20 ticks off one dog.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
smear the tick with Vick's VapoRub first and give a little while (don't remember how long it takes) then pull it loose.
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »
I have something similar and it works good.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/2730/Ticked-Off-Tick-Remover-Tool-for-Pets?extcid=PLA&gclid=CL2Qyc3XvroCFYZaMgod9ykA3w

wow, there's a few different brands out there.  i wonder which type work the best.

Someone told me to use tweezers once.

I ended up with a bloody, squashed, decapitated tick.

;/

I use my nails and just pop the suckers off. It's faster and work fine if you do it right.

I spend a lot of time yanking ticks off dogs. I'll get a cap full of rubbing alcohol and just pop 'em off and stick them in the cap. It's not uncommen for me to end up with 15 or 20 ticks off one dog.

and what is the proper nail length for tick tick removal, pray tell?

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-insect-repellent-Tick-Tweezers/dp/B00194F08S

These work pretty well.  you clamp them on close to the skin and rotate the barrel counter clockwise and it unscrews the tick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
i've been finding a tick on our dog, every week or so.  tweezers almost always leave the head behind.  is there a better way to remove ticks?

Use your fingers, instead. This has worked for me at least a hundred times.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:49 PM »
wow, there's a few different brands out there.  i wonder which type work the best.

and what is the proper nail length for tick tick removal, pray tell?

Not that long.

I keep my nails just long enough to be functional (slip under a tab on a soda can or assembly lever on a 1911A1)
but they're not long by any stretch of the imagination.

You pinch as close to the skin and pop it off, you don't grab it by the body.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:48 AM »
We used to light a match, let it burn for a second or two, then blow it out, and hold the hot tip to the tick.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »
^^we've tried the hot match trick a few times, but it hasn't worked for us.     

Not that long.

I keep my nails just long enough to be functional (slip under a tab on a soda can or assembly lever on a 1911A1)
but they're not long by any stretch of the imagination.

You pinch as close to the skin and pop it off, you don't grab it by the body.

i had a gf once with nails that extended about an inch past her fingertips.   maybe i should give her a call?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 09:43:42 AM »
You don't need long nails.  Some small amount of nail does help get the tick without pulling out too much of the dogs fur with it. 

When I got them on me as a kid and with the dogs, some bit of skin does come off with the tick, but not much and it almost always healed fast.  Tick bits itch anyway.  The dogs always seemed to appreciate it once the tick was gone and they saw/smelled what you pulled off.  Not sure about other people's dogs though.  :)

I used to get them biting me as a kid when we visited my grandparents.  After we moved out there, we rarely got bitten, but sometimes found them crawling on us.  My Mother said there were some home remedies out there that said eating local honey and or maybe other stuff would keep them off you.  It has been a while. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »
My Mother said there were some home remedies out there that said eating local honey and or maybe other stuff would keep them off you.  It has been a while. 

Don't know for sure if eating honey would repel them but, if it does, it could possibly be due to the Botulinum toxin contained in the honey. Just guessing here.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »
I removed all the ticks from my clock, and now it just goes "-tock, -tock, -tock, -tock, -tock ..."

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
Don't know for sure if eating honey would repel them but, if it does, it could possibly be due to the Botulinum toxin contained in the honey. Just guessing here.
I know there are some supposed benefits of eating local honey.  Maybe that isn't one of them.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »
You don't need long nails.  Some small amount of nail does help get the tick without pulling out too much of the dogs fur with it. 

When I got them on me as a kid and with the dogs, some bit of skin does come off with the tick, but not much and it almost always healed fast.  Tick bits itch anyway.  The dogs always seemed to appreciate it once the tick was gone and they saw/smelled what you pulled off.  Not sure about other people's dogs though.  :)

I used to get them biting me as a kid when we visited my grandparents.  After we moved out there, we rarely got bitten, but sometimes found them crawling on us.  My Mother said there were some home remedies out there that said eating local honey and or maybe other stuff would keep them off you.  It has been a while. 

This is it.

Can you meet the nail edge of your idex finger to the nail edge of the thumb without pressing to hard on anything in the middle?

You slide the nail edge along the skin, pinching the tick as close to the skin as possible and yank.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
I know there are some supposed benefits of eating local honey.  Maybe that isn't one of them.

The toxin is harmless to most people. The only ones it seems to affect are children under the age of one. My stepson and his wife (not knowing about the toxin and it's affects on babies) gave honey to their infant daughter and she spent a few weeks in the hospital with botulism. They had a heck of a time figuring out what it was and she was suffering from paralysis. She was on a ventilator for a while and we almost lost her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism#Signs_and_symptoms
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G