Author Topic: Throwing Up on TV  (Read 2347 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Throwing Up on TV
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »
Has anyone else noticed there's a lot more vomiting on TV in the last, I don't know, five or so years? Not the implication of throwing up, but the whole full frontal throwing up in scenes.

I don't get why. I can pretty much pick up the implications, whether in drama or comedy, of why somebody is barfing with a shot from behind or a fadeout. I can't figure how actually showing the expulsion of stomach contents adds to a scene. Certainly there are exceptions in some over the top comedy or even showing extreme distress in a drama, but it seems like it has become a standard prop in recent years. "I can't think of anything to add to this scene." "I know- let's show somebody barfing! That'll get a laugh!".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Throwing Up on TV
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
I think it's for a bit of shock value, like so many other things. Why the need to swear so much on TV and even more so in movies? It's seldom that swearing adds anything to the dialogue. If the writer is trying to flesh out a character, there's better ways.

Same with sex scenes. The scenes on TV now get pretty close to what R rated movies would show.

Blood and gore? Millions of barrels of fake blood.

Plot lines? There's actually been a remake of "I Spit On Your Grave". That's how bad it's gotten.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:23:32 PM »
I think it's for a bit of shock value, like so many other things. Why the need to swear so much on TV and even more so in movies? It's seldom that swearing adds anything to the dialogue. If the writer is trying to flesh out a character, there's better ways.

Same with sex scenes. The scenes on TV now get pretty close to what R rated movies would show.

Plot lines? There's actually been a remake of "I Spit On Your Grave". That's how bad it's gotten.

Yeah, I guess it's a "lazy writers" tool, same as your examples.

I always go back to old movies like "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" as examples of being able to make an excellent movie with no special props, limited dialog extremes (1940s censorship), and no special effects. "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is my example of one of the best fight scenes in a movie, during the bar fight scene. No loud background music, no yelling. Just quiet guys hitting each other and you hear about what you would actually hear when a fist makes contact with a face, and just grunts out of the fighters. Really realistic and no special aids needed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
Many years ago a friend of mine threw up on his TV. It never worked after that.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »

I object to all this sex on the television.  I mean!  I keep falling off!
Formerly sumpnz

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
Has anyone else noticed there's a lot more vomiting on TV in the last, I don't know, five or so years?

Hmmpf.

Just as well I gave up on TV a long time ago.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:18:14 PM »

I gave up on Simsons when they started that.  A full out bellowed Third Commandment violation from Homer, I can do without.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 09:49:42 PM »
I used to watch "Bones" for the technical aspects.  Then they got pretty disgusting what with romances and kissin' and babies and stuff like that there.  Ick.  
[barf]

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 09:52:30 PM »
Many years ago a friend of mine threw up on his TV. It never worked after that.
I knew a guy who peed on not one, but two computers in seperate incidents while drunk. They didn't work after that either.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:50:41 PM »
Has anyone else noticed there's a lot more vomiting on TV in the last, I don't know, five or so years? ...

Frankly, no.  I haven't.  Have you been watching Fox Broadcast? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 01:06:16 AM »
Has anyone else noticed there's a lot more vomiting on TV in the last, I don't know, five or so years? Not the implication of throwing up, but the whole full frontal throwing up in scenes.

I don't get why. I can pretty much pick up the implications, whether in drama or comedy, of why somebody is barfing with a shot from behind or a fadeout. I can't figure how actually showing the expulsion of stomach contents adds to a scene. Certainly there are exceptions in some over the top comedy or even showing extreme distress in a drama, but it seems like it has become a standard prop in recent years. "I can't think of anything to add to this scene." "I know- let's show somebody barfing! That'll get a laugh!".

I was too busy noticing that sitcoms now feel the need to include the clinical terms for reproductive organs at least once per season. NPR even talked about what a great step forward it was. I guess the major media just turned 9, and learned some fascinating new words.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 01:15:04 AM »

I was too busy noticing that sitcoms now feel the need to include the clinical terms for reproductive organs at least once per season. NPR even talked about what a great step forward it was. I guess the major media just turned 9, and learned some fascinating new words.  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31b_70kzfwQ
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »
"Ow, My Balls" will be premiering any season now.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 09:52:58 AM »
Here's the fight scene from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" that I was referring to:

http://movieclips.com/DGHAT-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-movie-give-us-our-money/

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »
IIRC, the first reference to throwing up was in Seinfeld, where "he hadn't thrown up since...(date)."

Me, I don't even like spit takes.... even with the Three Stooges.  Just not funny.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »
IIRC, the first reference to throwing up was in Seinfeld, where "he hadn't thrown up since...(date)."

That's actually an example, to me anyway, where they keep it funny through clever writing. For instance, having someone put their hand to their mouth and run off screen. You know what's going on without needing to view particulate matter ejecting from their mouths (I wonder what they mix together for fake barf?). I'm really referring to the increased propensity to actually show the vomit coming out. I just don't get that.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 07:46:54 PM »
"Just one little thin mint."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 08:20:18 PM »
I watch a lot of network TV. Throwing up isn't something I've really noticed a lot of... So, I guess the real question is, what is Ben watching?

The most graphic barf scene that comes to mind is not one from TV, but the movie Detroit Rock City.
If you've ever seen that movie, you know what I mean. If you haven't seen that movie, despite the graphic puking scene, it really is a great movie. Dad loved it, and he HATES Kiss.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds