Author Topic: Thumbs Up Utah for Easy CCW Renewal  (Read 797 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Thumbs Up Utah for Easy CCW Renewal
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
I have to give Utah the thumbs up for their incredibly quick and easy online renewal for CCW. Took two minutes to fill out the online renewal application and they accept your photo electronically. I used the US State Dept app (I even have to give fed.gov a thumbs up for a good tool - see link below) to crop my photo to passport standards, however Utah also has a cropping tool if you need to nudge anything. Payment via credit card for $15 with a $0.75 processing fee which I do not begrudge them, and my new permit will be here in a few weeks.

Arizona is due next month, and though I don't hold it against them, I wish they would be as quick and easy. They require mail-in plus only cashier's check or money order. Still easier than Oregon though, which you have to do in person. In fact I had to let mine lapse last year and will have to apply all over again as soon as I find a sheriff that will take non-resident applications, as the one I went through before (Grant County) is no longer doing so.

Anyway, kudos to Utah, especially considering it's a non-resident permit, and here's the State Dept link for photo cropping in case any of you want to do your permit photos at home.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photographers-guide.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Thumbs Up Utah for Easy CCW Renewal
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:39:12 PM »
In fact I had to let mine lapse last year and will have to apply all over again as soon as I find a sheriff that will take non-resident applications, as the one I went through before (Grant County) is no longer doing so.

I'm in the same boat re Oregon.  When/if you want a sheriff who takes non-resident applications, could you pass that info along?  Thanks.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »
I'm in the same boat re Oregon.  When/if you want a sheriff who takes non-resident applications, could you pass that info along?  Thanks.

Will do. I'm not sure what's going on up there. Klamath looked to be taking non-resident last year, but it looks from their website that they're just doing resident this year. Clatsop County is doing it, but according to Calguns, only for the neighboring WA counties.

Anyway, if I learn anything new, I'll certainly pass it along.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, Ben.

I need to pull out my Utah license and check the expiration date.
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, Ben.

I need to pull out my Utah license and check the expiration date.

They'll actually send you a letter ~90 days ahead of time with renewal instructions. Luckily for me, because I zone out on checking dates. Made me check my others, and AZ is due in August, but I went to their site, and they also send a reminder 90 days out. Oregon never sent me anything, I guess because it's county by county vs state, like UT and AZ.

Florida is due next year, and I don't know if they send a reminder, but I'm not sure I'm going to renew it. The main reason I got it was that it was good in WA, but it no longer is and UT now covers WA (which it used to not). That actually might be a good reason to renew it, because who knows how things will change on reciprocity in the next five years? Right now though, UT and AZ seem like the primo permits to have for greatest coverage, especially for Californians.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 10:40:30 AM »
They send reminders? Cool.

Too bad California doesn't . But, it's every two years, so it seems that I am constantly dealing with it.
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.