Author Topic: Apparently you can go back in time and kill your grandfather  (Read 983 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Apparently you can go back in time and kill your grandfather
« on: October 22, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/time-travel-simulation-resolves-grandfather-paradox/

Non-technical enough for a non-maths person like me to be able to follow along.  Although there were spots where I had to back up and re-read.

Let the tearing apart begin, to be followed by explanations of why those tearing it apart are doody-heads.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Apparently you can go back in time and kill your grandfather
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:06:24 PM »
The Doctor says time can be re-written  ;)

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 06:44:09 AM »
Sometimes you gotta do the nasty in the pasty.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 07:02:34 AM »
OK, but just because you can go back in time and kill your grandfather doesn't mean you should.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »
Just because time travel is theoretically possible, it doesn't mean its probable.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »
I suspect time works the way it does by design.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »
The main problem is that to push a macro-scale object (like a human, and enough equipment to keep them alive) through a "closed time-like loop/curve" that would allow going back in time would either require that you find a rapidly spinning black hole, and one that's big enough so that the gravitational gradient/tidal-forces don't rip you apart.

And it would require a spaceship capable of going at least a few tens of thousands of light years to go find such a black hole, if there's one in the Milky Way that would suffice. (If not, next stop Andromeda... about 2 million light years away...)  And then the space ship would have to be massively armored so you can survive the Hawking radiation and accretion disk radiation and heat/and particles-gasses moving at possibly near light speed around the black hole.

If you and the space ship could survive all that, I suppose "over-shooting" your time travel destination by umpteen thousand years in the past so you could travel back to Earth and arrive back in 1950-whatever is trivial.

The other possible method I've heard, assuming you can't find the black hole of sufficient size and spin, is to make your own wormhole, using star or planet-sized quantities of mass/energy focused onto a subatomic quantum scale rip open a wormhole, keep on pouring mass-energy into it to keep it open. (similar issues to surviving the black hole trip, gravitational gradients and radiation that'll melt anything...)

And then, while keeping the wormhole open... you have to somehow drag it's mouth around in a circle near the speed of light, while you're entering it.

The one problem I see with this is that these experiments, or mathematical thought experiments presume that time actually exists, that it's a "thing" or a real property of the Universe.  There may not actually be "space-time", but just "space", and removing the time element, all of physics, and even relativity, special and general, it still all works.

Everything may just exist in one "long now" where matter and energy is free to move, and what we perceive as "time" is just that entropy never... almost ever ever ever goes "backwards"  You fill a jar with two layers of white and black sand and start shaking it, in theory, it could go back to two neat layers, but statistically it'll take trillions of shakes. The two layers neatly separated is what we perceive as "before" and the gray salt-n-pepper mess of mixed sand that will likely never go back to "before" is "later".
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 10:34:02 AM »
I'd gladly go back in time and kick my Grandfather's (Dad's father) ass, but I don't think I'd kill him...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »
Isn't the more important question, "Can I go back in time and give my ancestors investment tips?"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 11:45:13 AM »
Isn't the more important question, "Can I go back in time and give my ancestors investment tips?"
You did.  Your tips sucked.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »
It'll work ....eventually ....we promise.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero