Author Topic: Get your water wings & pool float out again  (Read 5069 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Get your water wings & pool float out again
« on: October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »
Completely unrelated to Hurricane* Patricia (FEMA slow to respond, Fistful blamed) it looks like the eastern third to half of Texas is forecast to be seriously under water again.  They are talking about the same amounts of water as tried to wash away NO.

The questions - will all the NO transplants sit on their collective backsides waiting for school buses to come and whisk them to safety?  do Texas houses even have a second story where stuff can be moved to?

Given my recollection mumble-humph years ago driving across Texas, if someone left Houston today, travelling NW (appears to be the shortest way out of the danger zone) how long would it take to get past halfway across Texas?

stay safe.

* - technically a Pacific cyclone, but nobody says "Cyclone X"
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Get your water wings & pool float out again
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »
Sounds like a great reason to bring battleships back!

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »
Completely unrelated to Hurricane* Patricia (FEMA slow to respond, Fistful blamed) it looks like the eastern third to half of Texas is forecast to be seriously under water again.  They are talking about the same amounts of water as tried to wash away NO.

I just read that given Patricia's current track, there will be some post-landfall moisture inputs into Texas to add to the current rain. Some of our Texas members may need to buy a boat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 10:51:30 AM »
Lubbock saw th first vestiges of the current event. Over two inches. My parents, just two hours east, got more than four.

For Texas Panhandle counties to get pacific-storm moisture the landfall usuall has to be further north, somewhere Gulf Of California-ish. Storms making landfall this far south usually bring rain to the Big Bend and southern border counties.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:04:12 AM »
* - technically a Pacific cyclone, but nobody says "Cyclone X"

If they don't call the Pacific storms "hurricanes," they can't use up as many names and it doesn't seem nearly as catastrophic if the last hurricane of the season is Charlie or Fred. Lumping in the Pacific storms (which they never used to do) just makes it easier for the Global Warming Climate Change acolytes to spread fear among the unthinking populace.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 11:35:35 AM »
Got some much needed rain, to the tune of 2+ inches yesterday.

No more former NOLA residents left.  We ate them all, after we found out their meat was tender from inactivity and well-marbled with fat.  For a while there was a run on large grill-smokers until the supply (of NOLAers) ran out. 

Like Glenn Reynolds says, the best response to invasive species is to eat them!
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/212965/
ANOTHER CALL TO EAT INVASIVE SPECIES.

I’m on board with that! Though as far as I’m concerned, all meat is guilt-free meat.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »
What is the odds of keeping enough energy to do any harm to Texas? It will lose a lot of energy when it hits landfall in western Mexico.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 11:59:14 AM »

I like the Chicago path.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
What is the odds of keeping enough energy to do any harm to Texas? It will lose a lot of energy when it hits landfall in western Mexico.

Very low for storm damage. It's the moisture injection that's the concern.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 12:25:45 PM »

Very low for storm damage. It's the moisture injection that's the concern.

Unless it's being covered by the SyFy channel....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468988/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
Looks like 3 of those paths would pass right near Shrevesburgervile, LA where we live. At least it will have lost a lot of steam by the time it reached here.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Holy crap, this thing is pushing sustained winds of 200 mph near the core...

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 01:30:15 PM »

I like the Chicago path.

Any chance if this enters the Gulf of Mexico, that it could go tropical up to hurricane status?  That would be bad news but cool
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »
Any chance if this enters the Gulf of Mexico, that it could go tropical up to hurricane status?  That would be bad news but cool

I always figured the only way my mom's place would take a full-energy hurricane straight in the face is if it came from the Pacific into the Gulf, then plowed into her.  She lives in Florida's sweet spot as far as hurricanes go.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 02:26:35 PM »
It has to cross a mountain range or two to get to USA, right?  (Sierra Madres)  That should shred it pretty good.  Then there's the Davis Mountains and Guadalupe Mountains in west Texas.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 03:34:17 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
It has to cross a mountain range or two to get to USA, right?  (Sierra Madres)  That should shred it pretty good.  Then there's the Davis Mountains and Guadalupe Mountains is west Texas.

Typhoon scraps is the only way they get rain in those parts.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »
At this writing (Friday at ~2:40 pm CDT) the Austin area has gotten about a quarter inch in the last 24 hours and it's currently partly sunny. The local predictions have been all over the place, with projected rainfall amounts for SOMEWHERE in the Austin area to be somewhere between an inch and 20.2 inches. (Yep, one model had a rainfall amount of twenty point two inches NW of town.)

But the models are unstable - as one TV weather reader said, Georgetown (a northern suburb) was supposed to get 6 or more inches . . . then the next update a few hours later said about an inch . . . then the next update was back up to 8 inches. (Classic case of GIGO?)

FWIW, it was supposed to be raining cats and dogs right now . . . but the latest forecast is for heavy rain beginning overnight and continuing into tomorrow.

We'll see . . . if the weather readers throw out enough guesses, someone will get it right.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »
The rainfall models for SW Arkansas are between 2-10" of rain here
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 11:50:02 PM »
But the AGW models with all life on earth being baked to cinders are dead on, especially since they increased the temps entered.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »

I like the Chicago path.

I don't see a Chicago path, only a Detroit or Cleveland path.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »
The TV weatherguessers are telling me that Shrevebayville got wet.  You OK out there, Speedy?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 07:21:25 PM »
Wife reported it rained a *expletive deleted*it ton, but not like the Memorial day rains.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »
Wife reported it rained a *expletive deleted*it ton, but not like the Memorial day rains.

Wait, you went to VA ahead of the family? Oh lordy, I need to invest in strip club stock post haste!  :laugh:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 07:53:19 PM »
We are fine, damp but fine. No issues in my neighborhood or anywhere close.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden