Author Topic: I bought a Kindle.  (Read 1915 times)

cosine

• Administrator
I bought a Kindle.
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
What free e-book recommendations do you have?
Andy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: I bought a Kindle.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »
All of them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:32:21 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »
Fity Shades of Grey
Twilight
Dreams of My Father

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:38:39 AM »
Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart
Woodcraft and Camping by George Washington Sears

Not free, but worth reading:
The Remaining series by D.J. Molles (two books out now, with a third in November)
The Raggedy Edge by Michael Turnlund
Wool series by Hugh Howey (can find all 5 books in a compendium for $5ish)
The Custom Revolver by Hamilton Bowen

By the way, Backwoods Home Magazine is available on Kindle now.  Previous months' issues are free.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »
http://www.baen.com/library/intro.asp

Plus eleventy.

I have downloaded likely more than 10-15 free (as in free beer, not five-finger-discount)titles of old works offered by Baen and then bought that many more at their reasonable $5-$6/book rate for most of their stuff.

Baen understands eBook marketing and selling.  "Oh, we have a series from a popular author that goes back a ways.  How's about we give away the first book in the series, now that nobody is buying it anyways, in the hopes that some will like it and then buy the subsequent books at a reasonable price to them, which is almost pure profit to us, save the bandwidth..."

Funny thing is, we have the far-lefty former union organizer Eric Flint to thank for the Baen e-library, as he talked Baen into it.  FTR, his book/series 1632 with David Weber is a fun read that includes, "The Battle of the Crapper."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
http://www.baen.com/library/intro.asp

Certain Baen books, particularly by David Weber and Lois McMaster Bujold, include DVDs with most of their books on them.  Some of them have been mirrored online.  Here is one such page.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
Certain Baen books, particularly by David Weber and Lois McMaster Bujold, include DVDs with most of their books on them.  Some of them have been mirrored online.  Here is one such page.

Yeah, I considered linking to that site, but I'm not entirely sure how legal it is.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »
I recommend Teddy Roosevelt's works. All are available for free on Amazon.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 01:41:14 AM »
Yeah, I considered linking to that site, but I'm not entirely sure how legal it is.

The Fifth Imperium site is run by someone who has Baen's explicit permission to post the contents of those CDs, according to a long-ago post on Baen's Bar (when I used to visit there). Can't remember the guy's name offhand. The CDs themselves state (IIRC - it's been a while since I looked at the appropriate section) that copying and transmitting the contents for personal use is permitted, so long as as money doesn't change hands for it - but if you want a copy to flesh out your ebook library, have a ball.

I've got (I think) 23 of 'em myself, giving me the complete contents of most of their series as of a couple of years ago when they stopped binding CDs into the hardcovers. And the "first hit's free" thing DOES work - I've bought hardcovers because of the ebooks I've read, and more ebooks from authors I would not have otherwise tried.

From the linked page: "The Baen CDs hosted here are freely-distributable disks provided to promote the sale of the books contained within. Baen allows these CDs to be distributed not simply to provide free electronic copies of their books, but to generate sales for those same books. They are a medium of advertising.
     Please remember that just because these books are being provided at no cost does not mean that they are in the Public Domain. Just because Baen isn't asking for any money for these copies doesn't mean that they are giving up any of their copyrights. Copyright doesn't mean that you have to pay for something, it means that someone legally owns the right to distribute something (or not) in any fashion they desire - including doing so at no charge. So all the rules that apply to an ebook you bought and paid for also apply to these titles.
     If you download any of the disks, please take the time to go to the Baen Webscription  site and buy a copy of at least the CD's primary ebook. For a modest investment of about $6, you can buy the book, which gives you access to a downloadable copy of the CD, anyway. Or you can buy the entire Webscription month that the CD accompanies for $18 and/or buy the book in paper form. "

So, go ahead and download them, either as complete disc images or just pick out the books you want to try. Then buy stuff you like, either ebook or dead-tree, and help keep them in business.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 01:09:51 AM »
Thanks for all the leads.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:17:46 AM »
By the way, Backwoods Home Magazine is available on Kindle now.  Previous months' issues are free.

You're kidding! Awesome!

OK, so you were kidding.  I went and looked, and they are not free. =(  Are you getting a knock-off version from some guy on the street?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:47:50 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
I missed the fact that it was for Prime members AND it was for issues from 2011.  The current issue is $3.95, I assumed the "free" ones were previous months of this year. 

However, a subscription is only $1.99 per issue, that's quite a savings.  By using Calibre, you can download them and store them on your PC in Kindle format.

Chris

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
Here are my sources:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/b/?node=2245146011

http://www.feedbooks.com/

http://www.pixelofink.com/ you can sign up for their daily e-mail list, which does have some good books sometimes (mixed in with romance novels and vampire books)

http://manybooks.net/

http://www.gutenberg.org/

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »
One of my favorites is the klip.me google chrome app.  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/kindle?hl=en

Once you set it up, you can send web articles to your kindle by hitting control + K.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »
I missed the fact that it was for Prime members AND it was for issues from 2011.  The current issue is $3.95, I assumed the "free" ones were previous months of this year. 

However, a subscription is only $1.99 per issue, that's quite a savings.  By using Calibre, you can download them and store them on your PC in Kindle format.

Chris

Tease.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
Fity Shades of Grey
Twilight
Dreams of My Father

Win.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 08:30:16 AM »
Most libraries have e-books to check out.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.