Author Topic: SCOTUS lets California 10 day waiting period stand  (Read 762 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MikeB

• friend
Re: SCOTUS lets California 10 day waiting period stand
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »
As much as I'd love to have SCOTUS tell states they can't do this type of stuff, also not allow carrying as for example in NJ. I'd rather they not take these cases until we have another reliable vote. I don't trust Kennedy or Roberts on these issues.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »
As much as I'd love to have SCOTUS tell states they can't do this type of stuff, also not allow carrying as for example in NJ. I'd rather they not take these cases until we have another reliable vote. I don't trust Kennedy or Roberts on these issues.

Yes.  1 - 3 of the remaining 4 judges of the Heller 5 supports banning carry, AW bans etc... we don't know who it is.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:06:15 PM by BTR »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 08:45:19 AM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/clarence-thomas-rips-high-courts-decision-not-to-hear-case-challenging-california-gun-law-second-amendment-is-disfavored-right/article/2649503
Thomas said in his dissent he would have allowed the high court to take up the case, and said the decision from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is “symptomatic of the lower courts’ general failure to afford the Second Amendment the respect due an enumerated constitutional right.”

“If a lower court treated another right so cavalierly,” Thomas wrote in his dissent, “I have little doubt that this Court would intervene. But as evidenced by our continued inaction in this area, the Second Amendment is a disfavored right in this Court.”
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/clarence-thomas-rips-high-courts-decision-not-to-hear-case-challenging-california-gun-law-second-amendment-is-disfavored-right/article/2649503

The usual suspects are really attacking him for that, and also for saying (I'm paraphrasing from memory) that it's ridiculous to to defend the ten day wait after the first gun on the grounds of preventing crime (I think he was responding specifically to the domestic violence argument), because the gun owner already has a gun(s) if they want to commit a crime. Pretty common sense, but it made heads explode.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »
I would guess Kennedy and Roberts would be the two from Heller and McDonald that have refused to grant cert on any 2A cases since then.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.