Author Topic: Help me find a gun.  (Read 9844 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Help me find a gun.
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »
Springfield XD or XD(m). But outside of maybe Glock (due to it's popularity and volume of scale) no handguns have cheap magazines the way mil surp rifles do.

Another vote for the XDM. I'm a bit finicky in about the grip feel and fill in my hand (Glock just doesn't work for me), but that one fit the bill nicely. Also doesn't hurt that it's of the new breed of high-capacity 9mm's (19rd capacity standard factory magazines are fun) and in most situations the price is right. That said, I carry an old SIG Sauer P226 stamped slide that I got a smoking deal on with the MecGar 18rd magazines, but if I didn't I'd probably snatch up an XDM in a heartbeat.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
For good, cost-effective pistols, I would think that several Rugers would be worth a look.  Many of them have after-market magazine suppliers. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
For good, cost-effective pistols, I would think that several Rugers would be worth a look.  Many of them have after-market magazine suppliers. 
That is a good point.  The old P89's and P95's are bulky and ugly, but are good shooters. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »
BReilly: why do you prefer the M&P over the XD?
For me at least, I have an M&P 45.  It has a little better ergonomics over the standard XD, but less capacity (only 10 rounds versus 13 in the XD).  I thought it might be slimmer and better for carry.  However, I still like my XD 45 better.  My Dad got the XDm 45 which is also nice.  XDm also has the changeable grip panels like the M&P.  I keep meaning to post the M&P for sale.

If you are willing to go with striker fired, I think any of the Glock, XD, M&P pistols will be very good reliably shooters that eat just about any ammo.  They are also comfortable to shoot even with higher power loads.  None are super cheap though.

For carry I have been sticking with my CZ 75 P01 and P06 (40cal).  They have both been rock solid reliable and reasonable lightweight and compact.  The P06 has some recoil, but don't have it for recreational shooting.

If you want super cheap, J&G sales has been having adds for CZ surplus pistols and Makarovs.  I have seen post-WWII P38's as well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 12:24:02 PM »

Why didn't I think of Ruger?.....  :facepalm:

Great deals on the P-series pistols & mags out there.....even better than the S&W's....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
Why didn't I think of Ruger?.....  :facepalm:

Great deals on the P-series pistols & mags out there.....even better than the S&W's....

And when you run a Ruger dry,  it'll still work great a blunt trauma weapon, in a pinch.   :laugh:

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 01:30:59 PM »
BReilly: why do you prefer the M&P over the XD?

As for myself, I find it more comfortable to grip, and the slide is much easier to grasp, plus it's a better looking pistol :)  The M&P is generally a simpler design and is available with a thumb safety(which I like and Jocassee may as well).  The XDM corrects the comfort/ergonomics(and looks!) issues I have with the XD, but it's more expensive and I still don't care for the grip safety.

Plus I object to SA badge-engineering the $300 HD2000 into the $450 XD.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
As for myself, I find it more comfortable to grip, and the slide is much easier to grasp, plus it's a better looking pistol :)  The M&P is generally a simpler design and is available with a thumb safety(which I like and Jocassee may as well).  The XDM corrects the comfort/ergonomics(and looks!) issues I have with the XD, but it's more expensive and I still don't care for the grip safety.

As opposed to S&W copying the Glock, making it look stylish and stamping their logo on it.  Have you looked at the internals?  It is identical except a few things are moved a little.  I really doubt it costs them $500 to make the gun either.

Also, I really hate that thumb safety.  It is a flat piece of plastic that sticks out the side and ruins the slimness of the pistol. 

Either way, I agree it is a good looking pistol and has a lot of things going for it.  Depends on what you like. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »

A couple things that help account for the difference:  1)A lifetime warranty from a long standing company (vs. a two year warranty from a company I'd never heard of) 2)marketing cost.  I'd never heard of the HS2000, until it had come and gone.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »
I love the FNP9's.  Sig Sauer quality without the price.  I paid $500 for my FNP40 but they were a lot cheaper pre-Obama.  Brand name magazines can be found for $29 but most places charge $35-40.  Dunno if that's cheap for you but it's on the cheaper end of the high quality line of guns.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »
  I keep meaning to post the M&P for sale.

What are the specs?

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 10:02:24 PM »
As opposed to S&W copying the Glock, making it look stylish and stamping their logo on it.  Have you looked at the internals?  It is identical except a few things are moved a little.  I really doubt it costs them $500 to make the gun either.

Also, I really hate that thumb safety.  It is a flat piece of plastic that sticks out the side and ruins the slimness of the pistol. 

Either way, I agree it is a good looking pistol and has a lot of things going for it.  Depends on what you like. 

So..  other than the safety thing which neither of mine have...  we have a gun with the reliability of a glock that fits my hand perfectly and is comfortable.  I'm ok with that!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »
So..  other than the safety thing which neither of mine have...  we have a gun with the reliability of a glock that fits my hand perfectly and is comfortable.  I'm ok with that!

Does the safety allow for real C&L carry?

Is the SA trigger or whatever any good or is it glock-a-riffically clunky? <creeeeeeeep-bang-chunk (reset)>
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2011, 11:05:22 PM »
Help me find a gun

Did you look in your sock drawer?
"It's good, though..."

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »
I vote for the Argentina-made (FM) HP.  Last time I checked they were about $300.  Parts are interchangeable with Belgian and Portuguese BHP's. 

I did not no that. Note to self........
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.