Author Topic: 17 year olds drivers license suspended for life.  (Read 3858 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
17 year olds drivers license suspended for life.
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:40:09 PM »
Repeat offender, driving on a suspended and wrecks his car and hurts several people. At first blush I agree with it but after thinking it over probably too harsh and it likely won't stand up anyway.

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2012/03/02/judge-imposes-lifetime-driving-ban-on-17-year-old-boy/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: 17 year olds drivers license suspended for life.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
they tryed that with me when i was 22.  got it back when i was 40. it didn't hold up here either
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
The problem with this is that unless you live right in the middle of a large city with a quality public transit system, living in this country without a car becomes a major ordeal.

Our whole infrastructure is based on being able to commute via personal vehical.

The judges that do this kind of thing with licenses create a don't exactly help with that. The kid is most likely going to end up driving out of nessesity, breaking the law.

Kid should be punished. Kid should be majorly punished. This isn't going to work as punishment.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »
i lived 50 miles from work 11 miles from public transpo and was able to make it work till i was 40.
lots of kids swear they can't do it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »
driving on a suspended and wrecks his car and hurts several people

*expletive deleted* him. Hope he NEVER gets his license back.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »
*expletive deleted* him. Hope he NEVER gets his license back.

Sounds like jail would be more appropriate then taking a license...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
The kid  is most likely going to end up welfar or sell drugs and driving anyway , breaking the law.

Fixed
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:25:09 PM by AZtoy »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
Appropriate sentence....because he'll never drive again sincehe doesn't have a license....probably would never carry a gun without a permit, either....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
I wonder why his license was suspended in the first place. 

That might have a bearing on my opinion on the judge's sentence. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »
The problem with this is that unless you live right in the middle of a large city with a quality public transit system, living in this country without a car becomes a major ordeal.

Our whole infrastructure is based on being able to commute via personal vehical.

The judges that do this kind of thing with licenses create a don't exactly help with that. The kid is most likely going to end up driving out of nessesity, breaking the law.

I'm inclined to agree.

I haven't been through either; but I tend to think that spending some time in the can would be preferable to losing the ability to drive for 20+ years.  Preferable both for the individual, and for society.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 02:29:34 AM »
Topa’s lawyer says the penalty is too harsh and may be improper. But the teen can apply to the court to get his license back.

I would make him do some community service hours helping out in a VA hospital or other rehabilitation facility to see what it takes to recover from injuries like he caused.  Then after he is say 25 he can once again apply for his license.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Frank Castle

• friend
Re: 17 year olds .
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 06:22:19 AM »
Kenneth Richard Mazik is seen in this police photo. Mazik is charged with DUI, reckless endangerment and other counts after police say he sped his sport-utility vehicle through a fence and drove up and down the runway at Philadelphia International Airport Thursday March 1, 2012

http://abcnews.go.com/US/philadelphia-airport-suspect-driving-100-mph/story?id=15835046#.T1GEv_EgfHQ

This guy should have his drivers license suspended for life too.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:46:18 AM »
I would make him do some community service hours helping out in a VA hospital or other rehabilitation facility to see what it takes to recover from injuries like he caused.

Why?  The government wasn't wronged, Individuals were wronged and injured.  The state just had a law or two violated.  If you're going the route of restoration / restitution then sentence the idiot to what is in essence slavery where he has to provide the financial means of restoring the victims to pre-accident condition.  If not possible then he has just bought off on a life of involuntary service to his vicitims.  Let him learn from the inside what it takes to recover from the consequences of some else's stupidity.  One or two sentences with those kinds of provisions will do wonders in adjusting attitudes toward stupid acts. 

I have had it right up to **here** with community service as if that does anything for the victims.  It gives the illusions of making things right without the sting of consequences.  Service to the state does not equal service to the individual.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:01 AM »
By having him do his time in a VA hospital or other rehab facility he would be doing that.  He will be helping others get better.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 01:27:58 PM »
Community service scentances can be a joke.

They can also be a real PITA to the one getting it, if done correctly.

I don't see how community service can not be approptiate and benificial as both a service to the state and punishment for a crime.
I see it as a major improvement over the country club with bars, as far as being cost effective and productive.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »
Certainly the offender merits severe punishment - I can see fines, incarceration, a period of probation upon release, mandatory community service etc., all as provided by law.

Restitution ought to be part of the law.

But precisely which current law spells out a lifetime driving prohibition?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 03:13:01 PM »
I have had it right up to **here** with community service as if that does anything for the victims.  It gives the illusions of making things right without the sting of consequences.  Service to the state does not equal service to the individual.

It's also a slap in the face to people who do *voluntary* community service work.
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »
i was the passenger in a car hit by a young woman who was driving on a suspended license.  she had previously received a ticket for driving on a suspended license.  at the sentencing i told the judge there was nothing he could do to undo the damage caused by her actions (and that personnally i could care less what happened to her), but he had a duty to make sure that she wouldn't do it again.  she received 30 days in jail and her license was revoked for 5 years.  as i recall it was the maximum he could do in NY without drugs or alcohol being involved.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »
It's also a slap in the face to people who do *voluntary* community service work.

And it can be a godsend for non profits who need dirty labor that some people won't do, even for a good cause.
Ever hear the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."
It gets the work done.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
I got community service once, for explaining to the Judge why he was wrong :facepalm:

I volunteered at the public library, hid most of the time and BS'd them into signing off for all the time even though I had only been there half.

The only thing I learned from the ordeal was A: don't go speeding past Fl state troopers while lane splitting on a motorcycle,B: get a lawyer.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."