Author Topic: New pup.  (Read 3188 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
New pup.
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
A few weeks ago I posted about losing our 10 year old yellow lab. I posted a pic in t What's new thread and a couple folks asked for more pics.So to avoid hijacking the other thread here are a few pic of our new baby.

Mama walked up and surprised me with the little furball.

I like this one so here it is again. The rug has since been taken up, cleaned and put away till "later"

this morning was the first time she came all the way down to the hog pen with me

She's starting to get the house breaking idea, she stayed in the bathroom all night and didn't leave a mess but I doubt she could have gone another 5 minutes. She will also play fetch already but she hasn't quite got the idea of giving it up when she brings it back to you. I think we got a good one.

And here are some gratuitous pictures of the pig I smoked Saturday.

We didn't leave much
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: New pup.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:35:34 AM »

Thinking about possibly getting a dog.  Any good resources for raising, training, acclimating dogs?  If theoretically, I wanted a dog and cat, would it be better to get them both young and raise them at the same time?  Cat first?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
Thinking about possibly getting a dog.  Any good resources for raising, training, acclimating dogs?  If theoretically, I wanted a dog and cat, would it be better to get them both young and raise them at the same time?  Cat first?

Crate training + AKC obedience training are good starts.  Check for local clubs that do AKC training en mass for a reasonable amount of money.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »
I disagree. En mass training doesn't focus on training both owner and dog, which is important. Study breeds on AKC and other reputable websites to see what traits the breeds you like have so you know what you're getting into, and also consider rescues, pounds, etc. Go look at dogs at various shelters and pet stores. When you find the one for you, find a good local trainer (through references, not just the phone book) and spend the time. And yep, if you want a cat too, I'd get the cat first or get them at the same time. Dogs are far more territorial than cats.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:37:28 AM »
And the pup is adorable Larry!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

castle key

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »
I disagree. En mass training doesn't focus on training both owner and dog, which is important. Study breeds on AKC and other reputable websites to see what traits the breeds you like have so you know what you're getting into, and also consider rescues, pounds, etc. Go look at dogs at various shelters and pet stores. When you find the one for you, find a good local trainer (through references, not just the phone book) and spend the time. And yep, if you want a cat too, I'd get the cat first or get them at the same time. Dogs are far more territorial than cats.

One point of order!

Please no pet stores. They support poor breeding practices and generally are supplied by puppy mills.

When determining what dog will fit into your household, please think about what the original intent of the breed is. In other words, if you want to lounge around the house with little outdoor stuff with your dog, a gun dog such a setter or brittany is a poor choice. If you want to run with your dog, consider a herding breed. A good cross over could be a working group dog.

Once you get the basic idea of what you want, then narrow down on breed.

Shelters/pounds have some fantastic dogs that really need good homes. The downside is you do not know the background of the dog or if a pup, what the pup may REALLY be!

Go to a large dog show where you can see many breeds at the same time. Keep in mind, dog shows have a LOT of really wierd people.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
And the pup is adorable Larry!

Agreed, agreed, agreed!! 

And I also agree on all the tips given to Rev so far.  I would add that I'm a strong believer in a doggy door leading to a fenced/confined area.  Makes housetraining almost effortless.  Also, I go against the common wisdom as far as feeding.  We use one of those feeding bowls with the reservoir of kibble attached and leave it out 24/7 (like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Petmate-Peacock-Blue-LeBistro-Pet-Feeder/20516991).  We have NOT had a dog overeat.  A couple of pound rescues went a bit overboard at first, but they learned fairly quickly to only eat when they were hungry.  I think (especially with rescues) it helps them feel secure, having the food available whenever they want.  They don't have to worry about whether or not it will be there when they're hungry.  The latest rescue was at the pound and adopted twice before we got her.  She's just over 3 years old now (we think) and has been with us for about 10 months.  She's very secure here now.  =D 

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Beautiful puppy!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
yellow labs are the cutest puppies!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »

Are you looking for a house dog, watch dog, hunting dog, working dog?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »

Henchdog?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »
first dog ever?  a rescue might be good  one house broken. check with senior agencies. some older folks have to give up pets or in some cases pass away and their friends need homes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
Cats and dogs: i've had both adult dogs with new kittens and adult cats with new dogs. The biggest trick is to keep the cat from running, inspiring the dog to chase.
I think building confidance in the cat and watching to make sure the dog know what is and is not acceptable (yes, you may sniff and nose the cat, no, you may not pick it up, shake it or chase it) is the main goal and let them figure out the peaking order from there. As to which first, I don't think it matters much either way.

Chooseing a dog, basically what Castle Key said.

Pick out some breeds that seem to be what your looking for and narrow it down. I really think the key to finding a breed that is right is meeting with a breeder and meeting the dogs in question. Even if you choose to adopt, it is still a good idea to have a basic understanding of who's who in terms of breeds, which gives you the ability to have an idea of behavior and health concerns if your looking at a mutt and can see what some of its orgins are.
If you absolutly fall for a specific breed but still want to adopt a dog in need, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE contact the breed specific rescue group. A good breeder will both introduce you to the breed , and can give you info. Many are also involved in some way or another with their affilated breed rescue.
Another really great option, if your heart is not set on a puppy, is a retired show dog. I would add that service dog rejects are good, but they usually have a waiting list. A dog rejected from being a service dog usually has one or two "faults" that make them ineligable for service, but make them excellent and pretrained pets. A retired show dog is well socialized, trained and usually a very good representive of their breed. We have numorous clients with former show dogs and without exception they have wonderful dogs. The only potential downside, if you see it as such, is the breeder may wish to retain breeding rights and wish to breed the dog/bitch at some point. If this is the case, it should be in the contract and they should pick up both the costs and the work involved.

Oh, yeah, nice puppy RKL. The play bow at the pig picture is adorable.  =)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »
I've always had the best luck with an established cat getting a new puppy, that way the cat gets a chance to wreck the dog when it's young and by the time the dog is 90lbs it just remembers getting rolled by the cat. I have seen puppy and kitten grow up together well, as well as one of my female self adopting stray dogs would try to care for kittens like they were her own. Of course she also brought home live baby rabbits to play mom to, so it's possible she had issues...

Cute little furball RKL
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
Rescue dogs rule!

I like the face shot.
Looks like our Golden sleeping, with those jowls splayed out over the feet!!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
Yeah, I had been thinking about a rescue dog and we had talked about it some. But Mama decided she wanted what she wanted.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »

Hench dog. So combination of house dog and watch dog.

The ability to take down a hippy on command would be a bonus, of course.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 08:54:10 AM »
Hench dog. So combination of house dog and watch dog.

The ability to take down a hippy on command would be a bonus, of course.

You got it!   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.