Author Topic: MEC reloader question.  (Read 621 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
MEC reloader question.
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
Got a shot at an older MEC 650 reloader. Press 50# shot 1# unopened powder several hundred wads and shells, some once fire some well used and an assortment of odds and ends.
Press is well used but looks like it will work like it should.

What would be a fair family friendly price?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: MEC reloader question.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »
A new one goes for ~$300.00 in the stores.

50llbs of #1 shot:  Can't use it on Ducks or Geese anymore, so it's almost better to melt it down in slugs or bullets.   

Wads and Shells:  Might be okay depending or what they are.  $01 -$.04 per shells $.01 per wad. 

Unopened Powder: Depending on where and how stored (and how old) could be worth $20 per pound or simply fertilizer.

Odds and Ends:  Hard to say.

Somewhere between $200- $250 depending on condition and amount of hulls and wads.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:14:26 PM »
I have seen poorly stored wads crumble after a relatively few years.  Check 'em before you load to make sure they're still somewhat pliable.  I can't imagine what you could do with #1 shot.  When you open the powder, be very VERY observant to see if it out gasses any ammonia smells or any odd dust.  If it does, pitch it out.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »
I wasn't quite clear it was 50# of No. 9 shot. 2 different sizes of wads, one box is of Win AA, both types look to be pretty new as well as a carton of 209 primers with a $35 price tag. The previous owner was a skeet/trap shooter that passed some time last fall, active till pretty much the last. Looks like the powder, primers and wads were probably purchased with in the last year.
After some online research, some back and forth negotiations and a couple of phone calls to my brother in law's mother (her sister is the widow of the previous owner), I got it for $150.

I'm a long time experienced metallic reloader so I know what to look for with powder, this stuff is pretty new.
I know the price is pretty low but I made my initial offer, they countered and I folded, more than I had in my toy account to play with, they came back later with a compromise and I jumped on it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the powder, most powders with the possible exception of double base powders will keep almost indefinately as long as they are in a sealed container.

In the somewhat distant past, we used to buy powders in cardboard 'pitchers' that were poured from larger bulk containers at the reloading shop.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama