Author Topic: It's gonna be a long night.  (Read 4209 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
It's gonna be a long night.
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:43:47 AM »
Pulling an all nighter.
Celebrating my grand daughters 5th birthday and my daughters 29th tomorrow (5/12).
Gotta smoke some pig.
Wife wants to eat around 3:00pm.
Pig quarter weighs in at 17 lbs.
I didn't get it started till 9:30pm
Probably be closer to 5:00pm  =D

I'll post updates as the night goes on.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Azrael256

• friend
Re: It's gonna be a long night.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:52:54 AM »
I'll be there about 4:30.  Coleslaw good with pig?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:00:09 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:01:53 AM »
I'll be there about 4:30.  Coleslaw good with pig?

If it's Carolina style, Might need some more beer by then.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:03:18 AM »

I don't think that would hold up to the fire.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 02:00:53 AM »
This was at the 3 hour point.
I got a little careless and the temp spiked to about 350 for a little while but I don't think it hurt anything.
It's gotten dead still tonight, I'm used to dealing with a stiff breeze opposite the damper. With no wind I needed to shut it down a little more.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 02:17:41 AM »
The temp always seems to get away from me when I think I have it just right and then go out to mow for an hour or two.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 05:44:28 AM »
I am cooking a whole pig in a cajun microwave next month. Much shorter cooking time than smoking, supposed to be as close to open pit cooking as you can get without the pit.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
I am cooking a whole pig in a cajun microwave next month. Much shorter cooking time than smoking, supposed to be as close to open pit cooking as you can get without the pit.

bob

That's an unknown concept to me, for now. I'm gonna have to look into that.

I've been thinking about getting another feeder and having it processed at about 80# for cooking in the ground. but for now I'll stick with my smoker.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 06:56:55 AM »
8.5 hours. Ive been up and going for 25 hours now, starting to fade out a little.
Time to wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven and get a couple hours sleep.
After 8 hours it isn't going to take any more smoke anyway.

Samuel Adams

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »

bob

'Splain please. Yes, I could look it up, but I'd rather hear your version.

And are you in S. Louisiana?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »
This was at the 3 hour point.
I got a little careless and the temp spiked to about 350 for a little while but I don't think it hurt anything.
It's gotten dead still tonight, I'm used to dealing with a stiff breeze opposite the damper. With no wind I needed to shut it down a little more.

At this point (and about midnight) I'd be tempted to move to an electric roaster at about 200 to 225 degrees for the rest of the night.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »
All your rowdy friends are coming over tonight ...?   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
At this point (and about midnight) I'd be tempted to move to an electric roaster at about 200 to 225 degrees for the rest of the night.

I do that with briskets, but I like to set it at about 180 until a couple hours before dinner when I kick it up to 225.  I also like to pour a beer in with it so I get enough liquid to make sauce.  Moose Drool seems to be the best for that.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
Throwing a brisket and pork butt in the smoker over Memorial Day weekend.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 08:32:52 PM »

bob
What is a cajun microwave? A microwave with an outboard and a screen door?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »
'Splain please. Yes, I could look it up, but I'd rather hear your version.

And are you in S. Louisiana?

What is a cajun microwave? A microwave with an outboard and a screen door?

A Cajun Microwave is a wooden box with a removable lid made of metal. The box can be any size you want to make it. It is lined with galvanized metal, has a rack inside it to place whatever you are cooking onto, and a couple of drain holes to drain off the fat.

You place your meat, could be ribs, chickens, turkeys, whole pig, part of the pig, you are only limited by your imagination, into the the box, place the lid in place and then put charcoal on top of it.

The heat radiates down into the box, cooking, and more importantly, crisping the pig during the last hour after you flip porky skin side up. You can do an 80 pound porker in about 4-6 hours. I like to put seasoned whole ears of corn wraped in foil with real butter into the box about an hour before the pig is done so it is done at the same time.

http://www.shoplatintouch.com/p9/How-to-Cook-in-a-Caja-China-An-Introduction-to-Caja-China-style-Cooking/articles.html

I am in Eastern WA, but I have flown over Louisiana a lot of times. ;)

bob
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:29:37 AM by BobR »

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »
That sounds pretty cool. Going to add it to the list of things to try when we have a yard again!

So I guess you're not a good source for live crawfish and gator meat. Damn.
Thanks for sharing anyway!

And Larry - how went the pig? Yummy? Got pictures?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
Here's another link:
http://www.crawfishguy.com/cajunmicrowave1.html

The metal directly in contact with the fire is probably not galvanized (zinc fumes are bad news)

(dang it, Brad got me)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:39:30 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
(zinc fumes are bad new)

They're not so great used, either.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB