Author Topic: This little piggy...Again!  (Read 5141 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
This little piggy...Again!
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
303# Of pork on the hoof!

This one gets the full package- Bacon, sausage, Bacon, ham, bacon, pork chops, Arkansas Bacon, rib and bacon.
The shop I use does an old fashioned sugar cure and hickory smoke. My tongue is getting hard just thinking about it.
I should get a little better than 180# of product back (about 60%).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: This little piggy...Again!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
Don't forget Bacon!!! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
My tongue is getting hard just thinking about it.
If that lasts more than 4 hours, see your doctor, but do NOT look up online what they will do about it.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
If that lasts more than 4 hours, see your doctor, but do NOT look up online what they will do about it.

That has to involve a hammer....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
Nope.  A really big needle.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »
And RKL, when will you be adopting me all of this glorious yumminess be arriving back at your home?

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
It takes about 2 weeks for the whole process.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
It takes about 2 weeks for the whole process.

That seems a bit long. Are they backlogged, or are you aging it?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
It gets aged plus the curing and smoking takes time.
Worth the wait.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
Nope.  A really big needle.....

Oh. it's not that big, the last  one I deflated we used an 18g needle. Of course, if it was going into my parts it would probabably look like a railroad spike!

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
Oh. it's not that big, the last  one I deflated we used an 18g needle. Of course, if it was going into my parts it would probabably look like a railroad spike!

bob

I had my knee rebuilt when I was 16. When they took me in for surgery after they had already doped me with something I watched them put in the I.V. I have a crystal clear memory of watching them driving a railroad  spike into the back of my hand with a ball peen hammer.

Samuel Adams

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:24 AM »

bob

Dude...  I don't care if it's a little 27g butterfly needle...  If you're heading towards my wedding tackle with it, things *will* be going rodeo.....

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 12:17:27 AM »
On a slightly related note, one of my favorite ways of getting, shall we say, rambunctious patients calmed down was to reach into the cabinet and pull out the 12g 3" long angio cath (dunno why we even had one on the rig, we didn't use those) and tell them that if they don't settle down, I'll be using that beast to start an IV....

It's amazing how quickly people will behave...  :)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »
The number of guys on APS who went from looking at a pig picture to talking about erections is more than disturbing....  [tinfoil]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 03:34:20 AM »
Well, at least it was a female pig.

Samuel Adams

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 11:06:36 PM »
Moving back to the subject of the OP ....

Anyone know how to go about re-creating this amazingness that is applewood smoked bacon?
I intend to own a pig or two one of these days. Would be a good thing to know.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
creating this amazingness that is applewood smoked bacon?

Uh...Cure the bacon and smoke it with apple wood seems to be the obvious solution.

Here is a fairly decent take on the process.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-farming/cut-cure-pork-zmaz72ndztak.aspx

I've helped with butchering and curing hogs but it was almost 40 years ago.
It is a very messy process and not one I care to undertake unless I just have too. Partly because I don't really have the time, partly because disposing of the offal would be a problem and partly because I'm a little lazy.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 01:50:25 AM »
partly because disposing of the offal would be a problem

We would just use the parts from my friends 4H pig to lure in the coyotes, too bad you can't do the same. we would put it in the field about 150-200yds from his back deck.  ;)

bob

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »
Uh...Cure the bacon and smoke it with apple wood seems to be the obvious solution.

Here is a fairly decent take on the process.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-farming/cut-cure-pork-zmaz72ndztak.aspx

I've helped with butchering and curing hogs but it was almost 40 years ago.
It is a very messy process and not one I care to undertake unless I just have too. Partly because I don't really have the time, partly because disposing of the offal would be a problem and partly because I'm a little lazy.

I didn't know if it was part of the curing process or part of the smoking process. I imagine I wouldn't want to do the butchering myself either. The folks did it when I was a kid and I recall it being messy and gross.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »
The number of guys on APS who went from looking at a pig picture to talking about erections is more than disturbing....  [tinfoil]

reminds me of a joke....three guys driving down the road and they spot a pig caught in a fence with its hinquarters facing them. the first guy says, "mmmmm i wish it was raquel welch."  the second guy says, "mmmmm i wish it was marilyn monroe."  the third guy says, "mmmm i wish it was dark."
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
partly because disposing of the offal would be a problem
What, you don't like scrapple?

Dump the edible offal and meat scraps into a big *expletive deleted* pot along with the head (unless, of course, head cheese will be on the menu as well), enough bones to give the broth some body, and water. Boil the nasty out of it until the meaty bits are tender and a nice broth is formed. Fish out the solids, skim off some fat, chop up all of the meat and offal into fine little bits. Add enough cornmeal to the broth and cook to make a thick...mush. Yes that's the word I'm looking for, thick mush. Add the chopped meaty bits back in, seasonings to taste (usually a little sage, thyme, salt and pepper), and cook until it all cooks into one bit pot of home made thick mushy goodness. Dish it into loaf pans, let it cool and settle into loafs, which should be well set and easily sliceable once cooled if you made a good broth and used enough cornmeal. Stores well in the deep freeze.

When ready to eat cut into 1/4" thick slices and pan fry or broil till crispy golden deliciousness. Normally for breakfast, also makes a nice sammich. Good with ketchup or apple butter or various jams and jellies. Some like syrup, never tried personally.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
mmmmmmmmm......scrapple. I learned to love it when I was stationed at NADC Warminster, about an hour north of the city of brotherly love (it isn't).

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 03:05:54 AM »
Loves me scrapple but I make a little more refined version. I use a good grade of sausage.

Samuel Adams

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »

Dump the edible offal and meat scraps into a big *expletive deleted* pot along with the head (unless, of course, head cheese will be on the menu as well), enough bones to give the broth some body, and water. Boil the nasty out of it until the meaty bits are tender and a nice broth is formed. Fish out the solids, skim off some fat, chop up all of the meat and offal into fine little bits. Add enough cornmeal to the broth and cook to make a thick...mush. Yes that's the word I'm looking for, thick mush. Add the chopped meaty bits back in, seasonings to taste (usually a little sage, thyme, salt and pepper), and cook until it all cooks into one bit pot of home made thick mushy goodness. Dish it into loaf pans, let it cool and settle into loafs, which should be well set and easily sliceable once cooled if you made a good broth and used enough cornmeal. Stores well in the deep freeze.

When ready to eat cut into 1/4" thick slices and pan fry or broil till crispy golden deliciousness. Normally for breakfast, also makes a nice sammich. Good with ketchup or apple butter or various jams and jellies. Some like syrup, never tried personally.

I've never experienced two sides of my brain fighting each other before. . .
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 09:18:12 AM »

I know what goes in it. So, no, of bloody course not. It's funny to watch the tourists eat it though.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.