Author Topic: Oklahoma Burning  (Read 685 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Oklahoma Burning
« on: August 04, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
With the drought and the heat we've had it was just a matter of time before things started burning.

They've ordered the evacuation of 2 whole town so far.
http://www.newson6.com/story/19196911/wildfire-rages-on-ash-falls-on-surrounding-cities

http://www.newson6.com/story/19190887/grass-fires-erupt-in-parts-of-oklahoma

Nothing close to me, maybe 40+ miles away but we can still smell smoke in the air. Still keeping an eye out, we are popcorn fart dry and it wouldn't take much.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Oklahoma Burning
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »
Good luck, RKL.  Hopefully nothing will light off in your area.  Are you taking any preventive measures?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:08:08 PM »
I keep the underbrush well away from my house, 50 yds min, for starters but and I've got hoses hooked up with pressure nozzles that will reach all around both the house and shop and I've got my 25 Gl sprayer filled and hooked up
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
If you have any eaves troughs, make sure they are clear of any type of flamable material.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »
Freakishly enough, the eaves of my house are at this minute dripping with rain water form the little pop up thundershower we just got. Not enough to break the drought but it sure knocks down our fire danger for the moment.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
Dumb question moment: Would something akin to those small tube string misting garden sprinklers rigged across a roof be useful in such a situation as to keep the house from catching due to embers and such (assuming you've already cleared firebreaks 50 yards around the house)?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
The roof isn't too much of a hazard assuming it isn't wood shake, unless a pile of leaves or twigs has accumulated in a valley.

Any horizontal wood (or other fuel) surface is susceptible to hot embers: decks, porches, eave braces, etc.  Lawn furniture cushions can burn down a house.

Any fuel such as grass, weeds, or debris around the house can ignite wood siding.  I saw a little bit of dry weeds burn down a shed when the flames crept up the ribs of the metal siding and ignited straw inside.

Are you on an electric pumped well  ???  The power will likely go off when or before a fire comes through, so your hoses won't be much good unless you have a generator or an alternate water supply with a fuel driven pump.

Take care and good luck.  We've had a few days since our last fire, but we remain one lightning strike and a bit of wind away from disaster.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
I'm on municipal water. Even though I'm 2 miles outside city limits I'm only about 150 yards from the city water plant and tower so my water supply is fairly secure. I also filled my rain barrels so I could refill my 25 gallon tank sprayer if it came to that but with the rains we had this evening I'll sleep well tonight with out worrying about wildfire.

Samuel Adams