Author Topic: Eating Local  (Read 676 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Eating Local
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »
I try to produce as much of my own food as possible and what I can't grow myself I try to get local.
Tonight's super was a locavores delight.
Pasta with meat sauce, fresh baked bread washed down with wine.

my ingredient list included the following

Pasta- Home made with whole wheat flour I milled from wheat I buy from a local farmer, eggs I buy from a local chicken rancher.
Bread- made with the same wheat as above
Sauce- The meat was pork sausage from the hog I had butchered in June the sauce was made from tomatoes and other veggies and herbs I grew n my garden and the wife canned.
Wine came from here http://oakhillswinery.com/ They are located less than 2 miles as the crow flies from my place. we had a bottle of Chambourcin with dinner but my favorite from them is their Catawba.

I'm stuffed, and a little buzzed from the wine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Eating Local
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »
I like and prefer local, but the local food nazis are an annoying bunch.

While I prefer it, I'm far from anal about it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
Yes, I prefer home grown and/or local if possible...but couldn't help but think of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRHJlE4PGI

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »
Mrs. B and I frequently comment on this as we're eating. Tonight was an exception, as the only things local were the sweet corn and the tomatoes (from our garden) on our BLTs. We don't get bacon or ham cured when we buy pork from B-I-L; we have the hams cut into roasts and get lots of ground pork.

Very often, we'll have our own eggs and home-made bread, veggies from the garden or chicken we raised and butchered ourselves. Or rabbit. B-I-L lives ~20 miles from us, so even the purchased meat doesn't travel far.

We often think about grinding/milling our own flour but haven't yet. I suspect mills can be had on craig's list or ebay for cheap.

You, Larry, done good!

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:22:34 AM »
After quite a bit of research I bought one of these
http://www.grainmaker.com/
What is now listed as their model 99. Price has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. The machine is an absolute tank, I don't see how anyone with half a brain could tear it up under normal use.
All I've use it for is grain, wheat, corn and rice so far. Wheat is pretty easy but flour corn will give you a bit of a work out. You don't want to grind a bunch ahead anyway as once it is processed into flour/meal the clock is ticking on freshness, I only work up what I'll use in 1 or 2 days.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:54:20 AM »
I have to say that I am quite jealous of this level of self sufficiency.

Milling your own flour!? Damned impressive,
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
I have a small manual crank flour mill for backup, though it's not as heavy duty as RoadKingLarry's. For everyday usage I have an electric one that saves quite a bit of effort. Nutrition and freshness are the two biggest benefits to milling your own flour. Corn meal/flour and "whole" wheat flour that you buy at the store have both had the germ partially or wholly removed, as otherwise the flour spoils fairly quickly as Larry noted. Thus when you mill your own flour right before using you get a bit more nutrition from the presence of the germ.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »
Nutrition is a big plus but the the taste of fresh milled flour and corn meal is so, so, so much better than the processed crap you buy.

Samuel Adams