Author Topic: Mars Curiosity Rover  (Read 3278 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Mars Curiosity Rover
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »
Landing scheduled for Monday. I have my fingers crossed and really hope this goes well but dang it is one complicated operation.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/08/04/nasa-spacecraft-speeding-toward-mars-landing/?intcmp=features
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Mars Curiosity Rover
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:18:30 AM »
A successful landing!!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:55:38 AM »
One of the few times when AWESOME is appropriate.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »
Nuclear powered rover.  I am impressed
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »
Size of a small car. That is a big launch package.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:37:24 AM »

That's what she said.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »

One can tell the size, and aggressive mass-fraction of the mission when you looked at the cruise phase support bus, and the entire thing was mainly just the aeroshell.

I was also impressed with Nasa's Java mission tracker app. It was amazingly complete. The roations/maneuvers of the spacecraft, ejection of the cruise stage, atmospheric entry, heat shield separation, parachute, the skycrane lowering etc. That was pretty amazing.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
As much as I gripe about greater NASA getting overly involved with social issues like AGW, their core technology groups still impress the hell out of me. This is a stellar example.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »
Awesome stuff!
Nasa's Java mission tracker app
I'll have to check that out.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
All 3 of the Mars rovers. Original photo: http://www.dvorak.org/blog/images/mars_rovers.jpg
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »
^^^ Now that is a great picture.  It gives you a sense of the size difference between the models.  That Curiosity is a good-sized unit.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 12:18:20 AM »
Ummm... if anyone has any questions, I can forward them. One of my BACA brothers was on the team...

Actually, I'll just see if he'd be willing to register here. He's our kind of crazy...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 12:37:34 AM »
I'm still pretty geeked out about this.
Being able to pull of what on the surface looks like a Rube Goldberg skit and sticking the landing gives me a sense of pride in human ability in general and American ingenuity in particular.

Samuel Adams

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 12:54:35 AM »
This is a stellar example.

This is a planetary example.  SOHO is a stellar example.

:P

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »
As much as I gripe about greater NASA getting overly involved with social issues like AGW, their core technology groups still impress the hell out of me. This is a stellar example.

More correctly, this is a "Martian" example. We haven't landed a rover on a star yet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »
^^^ Now that is a great picture.  It gives you a sense of the size difference between the models.  That Curiosity is a good-sized unit.

The US has finally managed to land an SUV on Mars  :lol:

I wonder if this thing meets fed.gov mandated mileage and safety standards?  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
The US has finally managed to land an SUV on Mars  :lol:

I wonder if this thing meets fed.gov mandated mileage and safety standards?  :P

Why yes it has, since it has the nuclear generator powering it.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/428751/nuclear-generator-powers-curiosity-mars-mission/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
Love RTGs.  Simple and reliable.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
Ummm... if anyone has any questions, I can forward them. One of my BACA brothers was on the team...

Actually, I'll just see if he'd be willing to register here. He's our kind of crazy...

I can answer some as well, a close friend is on the chemcam team from LANL, and I've worked closely with JPL on planetary exploration in the past. (as a consultant for NASA-HQ)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
That the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter actually got pictures of Curiosity and it's parachute in mid-air is also really, really, cool...

http://news.discovery.com/space/big-pic-curiosity-msl-parachute-spotted-hirise-120806.html
I promise not to duck.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »
It’s designed to run at least one Martian year, which is almost two Earth years.

It should be able to run much longer than that. Look at what the Voyager probes have pulled off.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
It should be able to run much longer than that. Look at what the Voyager probes have pulled off.

Mechanical wear and tear, plus dust is a bit different for a rover than a probe just coasting in space. However, I suspect you're right. NASA's estimates are usually conservative in these matters.

The previous rovers weren't nearly as robust, nor nuclear, and they far exceeded the initial mission times allotted.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »

Ha Ha!  Looks like the "Jupiter 2" from that old "Lost in Space" program!! :rofl: :facepalm: :facepalm: [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero