Author Topic: Mars Curiosity Rover  (Read 3279 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Mars Curiosity Rover
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »
nice pic with the three rovers.  i knew curiosity is bigger, but i didn't realize the size difference between the other two.   i am curious as to why they went with a reactor rather than solar?  was it strictly a weight/size issue?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
nice pic with the three rovers.  i knew curiosity is bigger, but i didn't realize the size difference between the other two.   i am curious as to why they went with a reactor rather than solar?  was it strictly a weight/size issue?

Mars is marginal for Solar Power even under ideal circumstances, like... in space in Mars orbit where you can get sunlight 24/7. On the surface where it's night half the time, and there's also Martian dust which gets on the panels too. Plus, you can't drive or explore and guarantee the panels are even close to their ideal angle for the sun.  And like Earth, Mars has seasons too, so there's a winter (about twice as long) where that hemisphere is getting sunlight at an even lower angle.  The earlier solar rovers even got "saved" once or twice by a lucky wind storm (such as it is, about the half a percent the pressure as Earth sea-level..) cleaning the dust off the panels allowing them to get more work out of the rover.

The inverse square law by which light and electromagnetic radiation is a bitch.  Mars is half again as far out from the sun as Earth is.

The other problem is the extreme cold. It affects science instruments and electronics, motors etc. and trying to warm things up with solar and batteries (which also take a hit from the cold) is a huge power drain. Or you just don't do it at all. The nuclear RTG allows for a lot more power, and a reliable source of heat to keep things running better. Probes operating around Mars and further often have Plutonium pellets that are not part of the main RTG secreted about their structure so waste heat can transmit through it's mass and keep things just warm enough so they don't seize up.

I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:17 PM »
I am not certain that I would call a radioisotope thermoelectric generator a nuclear reactor, per se.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
I am not certain that I would call a radioisotope thermoelectric generator a nuclear reactor, per se.

Regardless, when can I get one to run my pickup  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
There are still some 'forgotten' ones along the Siberian coast, where they were used by the Soviets to power automated lighthouses and navigation beacons.  I wonder if they are now guarded by giant mutated polar bears from the radiation leakage......

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »
IIRC Chesapeake Light off Virgina Beach is "nuke powered".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »

??
Is that a compressed plutonium isotope encased in a thermocouple?  Or is this something new? 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

birdman

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
??
Is that a compressed plutonium isotope encased in a thermocouple?  Or is this something new? 

Not compressed.  The standard NASA RTGs use a plutonium-238 dioxide ceramic fuel pellet encased in iridium, with two of those embedded in a carbon-carbon block.  A bunch of those are surrounded by thermocouples and radiator fins.  the heat source is the GPHS-RTG (general purpose heat source--RTG)

The same pellets and cases are used singly for heating in the previous rovers.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 12:03:42 AM »
Not compressed.  The standard NASA RTGs use a plutonium-238 dioxide ceramic fuel pellet encased in iridium, with two of those embedded in a carbon-carbon block.  A bunch of those are surrounded by thermocouples and radiator fins.  the heat source is the GPHS-RTG (general purpose heat source--RTG)

The same pellets and cases are used singly for heating in the previous rovers.
;)  Thanks Birdman!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 12:21:30 AM »
Probes operating around Mars and further often have Plutonium pellets that are not part of the main RTG secreted about their structure so waste heat can transmit through it's mass and keep things just warm enough so they don't seize up.

The Lunar rovers took radioisotope heating of thermally critical elements to the Nth degree by using Po-210 for those elements. A single kilogram of Po-210 puts out enough thermal energy to melt and then vaporize itself, something on the order of 140 kilowatts. Pretty short duration though with a 138 day half-life.