Author Topic: Some People REALLY ARE too Stupid to Live!  (Read 6989 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Some People REALLY ARE too Stupid to Live!
« on: December 24, 2008, 10:50:53 AM »
Wife renewed her cell phone contract the other day. Got a fancy/dancy hi-tech new phone. It had so many bells and whistles she was forced to read the instruction manual.

Around about 8 or so last night we're sittin' in the living room, me watching TV and her reading the manual when out of no where she just starts laughing. Not talkin' a chuckle here but real knock down, gut bustin' laughter.

I couldn't imagine what she would find so funny in a cell phone instruction manual so naturally I asked, "what's so funny"?

She read straight out of the manual:

If your cell phone is in the back seat of your car and begins to ring DO NOT climb over the seat to retrieve it while driving.

That instruction is in the manual for a reason. SOME DUMB ass SOMEWHERE MUST HAVE DONE EXACTLY THAT . Why else would the cell manufacturer have put that warning in the manual?

Some People REALLY ARE too Stupid to Live!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Some People REALLY ARE too Stupid to Live!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp
^^^^^^
Not verified, and being a skeptic, I want to dismiss it.

Still, after some of the bonehead things I hear and see day in and day out... =|

=D

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:46:39 PM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

2swap

• friend
  • : 4 5 ;
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »
I will assume to save the remaining bits of my sanity that they only anticipated such a lawsuit -- not that it actually happened.
: spin
  92 47 124 45 45 58 emit dup emit emit
  begin 8 emit dup emit swap 2swap key? until ;

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »
I will assume to save the remaining bits of my sanity that they only anticipated such a lawsuit -- not that it actually happened.

I keep my remaining bits of sanity pickled in vinegar and sitting on the shelf in front of me.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »
Some losers will do anything in anticipation of a possible date......chris3

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:16:57 PM »
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

Not verified, and being a skeptic, I want to dismiss it.

Still, after some of the bonehead things I hear and see day in and day out... =|

=D
Screw Snopes

That was a direct quote right out of the cell phone manual that came with my wife's cell - NOT some internet urban legend. Why in the world would they put that in there unless someone had actually done it and tried to sue the cell phone company and/or manufacturer.

Fight Me Online

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
Not every bit of boilerplate warning against doing something stupid comes from someone actually done said stupid thing.  Sometimes it's just the writers getting creative abut trying to anticipate future stupidity.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »
I understood that from your OP.

Just trying to point out that folks may, in fact, be that stupid or worse... much to my disbelief, at times.  :laugh:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »
That is really, really funny.

I often see stuff (packaging material, etc) that's labeled "do not eat." It's generally stuff that I figure nobody in his right mind would ever consider eating, but I suppose somebody did.

On Harley Davidson's, the bikes have a thumbscrew device on the throttle that allows you to control the amount of effort required to move the throttle. Back it off all the way and there's no friction at all. Screw it in all the way and you can't move the throttle, something that should only be done in rare circumstances. Harley has a warning in the manual that says very clearly that the thumbscrew is not a cruise control device, and that tightening it too far can result in loss of control of the motorcyle, and death or injury.

Well, some numbnuts was out cruising in the country a few years back with the throttle screw tightened all the way. He came upon a tight curve, couldn't let off the throttle, and wound up in a field. He sued Harley, and they settled out of court.

Every time I've bought a new gun, I've read the manual, and it's always about 10% instructions, and 90% safety warnings about things that should be obvious. But that doesn't stop the anti's from suing the manufacturers for selling unsafe guns.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »
Does the manual include a warning about where not to insert the phone ?  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Werewolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 02:06:14 PM »
Does the manual include a warning about where not to insert the phone ?  :O
No...

But maybe it should.

They might even include that X-Ray pic in the other thread here currently active about stupid people.

Fight Me Online

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 02:19:49 PM »
Why can't I climb over the seat?  I've got the cruise control on.  Duh!!   ;/ ;/

:laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WhiteTiger

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »
being a skeptic, I want to dismiss it.

Such an incident did in fact happen in northeastern Washington state in the mid 70's. I was at that time a mechanic and had gone to a large RV dealership to pick up parts for a crash restoration job. Brand new, totally trashed motorhome comes in on the wrecker while I was there. Old guy bought it, was taking it home, set the cruise control and went into the back to make a sandwich for the drive home. No serious injury.

Tiger

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 06:06:25 PM »
Such an incident did in fact happen in northeastern Washington state in the mid 70's. I was at that time a mechanic and had gone to a large RV dealership to pick up parts for a crash restoration job. Brand new, totally trashed motorhome comes in on the wrecker while I was there. Old guy bought it, was taking it home, set the cruise control and went into the back to make a sandwich for the drive home. No serious injury.

Tiger

This is one of those stories I have to take with a grain of salt, no offense.

Guy buys a brand new motorhome, is driving it home, activates cruise control, and goes into the back to make a sandwich.

So, he stocked the motorhome with groceries before he left the lot? On the way home? =|

I'm tempted to believe it, 'cuz I know how dumb folks can be, but if parts of a story don't make sense, I tend to discredit the story.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »
Welcome aboard, by the way. =)

AndyC

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 06:35:42 PM »
SOME DUMB ass SOMEWHERE MUST HAVE DONE EXACTLY THAT . Why else would the cell manufacturer have put that warning in the manual?
I can't help but wince when I think of the warning on some brand of chainsaw: "Warning - do not stop chain with genitals"  :O

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 06:43:25 PM »
I can't help but wince when I think of the warning on some brand of chainsaw: "Warning - do not stop chain with genitals"  :O

"From male to female in one swift move!"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WhiteTiger

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »
No offense taken grisly. (It is after all the internet and hip boots are de rigeur) ;)

I had the same sort of wonderments when the parts guy told me the tale. The explanation I got was that the old fart brought a cooler with beer and stuff to see what would fit in the fridge. All I can say for certain is that I was given the story as I related it after watching this thing towed in... could be a standing joke kinda yarn with RV people for all I know.

Tiger

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »
No offense taken grisly. (It is after all the internet and hip boots are de rigeur) ;)

I had the same sort of wonderments when the parts guy told me the tale. The explanation I got was that the old fart brought a cooler with beer and stuff to see what would fit in the fridge. All I can say for certain is that I was given the story as I related it after watching this thing towed in... could be a standing joke kinda yarn with RV people for all I know.

Tiger

That sounds plausible, although I think this
could be a standing joke kinda yarn with RV people for all I know.
is probably more likely.  =D Someone was yankin' your chain...

Lord knows I've heard many a "sea story" from auto parts folks/mechanics and the like. :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »
"SOME DUMB ass SOMEWHERE MUST HAVE DONE EXACTLY THAT ."

But I turned the cruise control on!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »
I know people who would try to sneak a cup of coffee, etc...

They still have drivers licenses.

Blog under construction

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 10:17:53 PM »
We were looking at a house to rent in Utah.  Backed up against a somewhat busy 2 lane road.  There was a car sized hole in the brick wall.  Seems some 20 year old dropped his cellphone and was trying to find it and put a nice hole in the wall.....sadly, he lived.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
special angels guard fools and drunks   some are double protected
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 03:02:43 AM »
Whether or not it actually happened is irrelevent.  What is relevant is checker-pants, philadelphia lawyers write product cautions, not normal bipeds.

I've always considered product cautions to be product abuse manuals.  "Gee, I never thought of that one.  Wonder what color the smoke is"
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 05:14:51 AM »
That sounds plausible, although I think this  is probably more likely.  =D Someone was yankin' your chain...

Lord knows I've heard many a "sea story" from auto parts folks/mechanics and the like. :laugh:

it was mandatory that we sent the tenderfoots miles and miles in search of
a skyhook for the tents when I was a kid in the scouts, I spent hours asking smiling adults where it was, always just over that hill.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."