Author Topic: Californianns shocked at the taxes on their marijuana  (Read 4126 times)

dm1333

• friend
Californianns shocked at the taxes on their marijuana
« on: January 27, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »
 :laugh:

http://www.thecannifornian.com/cannabis-business/high-taxes-spark-sticker-shock-cannabis-customers-california/

Many shoppers have been surprised by the tax rates that have taken effect since Jan. 1, when recreational cannabis sales became legal. Some of the receipts shared online include bright red circles around the tax line and are posted with hashtags like “#californiaisscrewingus” and “ididntvoteforit.”

All cannabis legally sold in California now comes with a 15 percent excise tax. On its own, that rate is in line with, or below, the tax imposed in most other states that have legalized recreational cannabis.
But in California, that excise tax is just part of the tax bill. Most California cities that allow marijuana stores have tacked on local taxes, typically 5 to 10 percent. In a few cities, the local rate is as high as 15 percent.  That’stax, whi
in addition to the regular sales ch typically runs between 8 and 10 percent
Bottom line: Medical marijuana consumers are generally paying at least 20 percent tax on every purchase, and recreational consumers are paying between a low of 28 percent and as much as 40 percent.

Can't say I'm shocked or surprised.  Did politicians hide what they were going to do as far as taxes or were people not paying attention?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Californianns shocked at the taxes on their marijuana
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
They were too stoned to notice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »
How much are cigarettes/tobacco taxed?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
How much are cigarettes/tobacco taxed?

It's $2.87 a pack in California (I was just looking that up) plus the $1.01 federal tax.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
Well it's a good thing that there's no black market for drugs where people can buy what they want without paying taxes!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
My first thought reading the headline was maybe we need to legalize this on the federal level so the cigarette companies can start selling marijuana packs.  Then they can see some real taxes.

Of course, then the anti-smoking commercials can branch into a whole new area. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »

Of course, then the anti-smoking commercials can branch into a whole new area. 

What I'm sitting back with popcorn and waiting for, is the anti-smoking brigade to attack pot smokers for second hand smoke. So much of CA is smoke free, even in outside areas, and many of the people that were all for that with cigarettes are, I'm betting, pot smokers. I can't wait to hear the arguments on why pot smoke is okay.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »
What I'm sitting back with popcorn and waiting for, is the anti-smoking brigade to attack pot smokers for second hand smoke. So much of CA is smoke free, even in outside areas, and many of the people that were all for that with cigarettes are, I'm betting, pot smokers. I can't wait to hear the arguments on why pot smoke is okay.

Cuz it's herb maan, it's organic!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »
And what's to stop pot heads from growing their own weed? Isn't marijuana easier to grow than tobacco?

A handful of plants ought to keep a pot head stoned, so he wouldn't need a BIG plot . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »
And what's to stop pot heads from growing their own weed? Isn't marijuana easier to grow than tobacco?

A handful of plants ought to keep a pot head stoned, so he wouldn't need a BIG plot . . .

Because CA can't tax them.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 04:57:26 PM »
Cuz it's herb maan, it's organic!

And tobacco isn't organic?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
Meanwhile in D.C.

That doesn't make sense. Washington, DC, exists as a federal enclave. How can there be a DC law that isn't a federal law? And, if there is such a thing, how can the federal government allow a law in a federal enclave that's contrary to federal law?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »

Funny / Not Funny

Terry flips coin

Colorado, for general information, 2017:

http://www.westword.com/marijuana/colorado-marijuana-sales-already-top-1-billion-in-2017-9587976

Terry
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:43:18 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 05:14:57 PM »

Nope.  Lots of pesticides and additives,
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »

Tobacco is evil, don't you know that?  ;/

All joking aside, if any of that "legal" pot came from a diesel grow it did a lot of damage to the environment.  But too many people gloss over that.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 05:45:12 PM »
What's a "diesel grow?"

Well, looked it up, I guess it's a strain:

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-sour-diesel-feminized-cannabis-strain-n41

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 06:02:08 PM by 230RN »

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »
What's a "diesel grow?"

Well, looked it up, I guess it's a strain:

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-sour-diesel-feminized-cannabis-strain-n41

Diesel grows are grows (indoors or outdoors) where most of the electrical power needed comes from generators. The end result is spilled fuel, pesticides, contaminated water and the destruction of the environment.  My personal view is that a lot of strains of pot that are named "diesel" are relatively new and the name was picked to obscure internet searches of diesel grows and how bad they are for the environment.  Most of them have to be cleaned up by hazmat pros.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/the-good-bad-and-ugly-of-indoor-pot-in-california/

Hippies once complained that loggers kept profits while foisting environmental costs on the public. Indoor-marijuana growers have done much the same thing on a smaller scale.
Humboldt County environmental officials report finding tubs of used antifreeze, leaking fuel lines, pesticide containers and nutrient-laden potting soil that runs into streams during rains, feeding algae blooms that suffocate fish.

In May 2008, as much as 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel spilled into a creek that feeds the Eel River.
“In the last three years, I’ve seen more diesel spills than I have in my previous 28 years” in law enforcement, Mendocino County Sheriff Thomas Allman said.

ETA:

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/marijuana-weed-pot-farming-environmental-impacts/

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »

Not with what the cigarette companies do to them.

I'm sure you can buy organic tobacco.

It's "easy", but not everybody has the room(what if you're living in a studio apartment?), or even the minimal greenthumb required.

On diesel grows - indoor grows using diesel generators, I think I should point out that such is done to grow illegal weed.  If growing weed is legal, then they don't need to hide, and can use economical and ecological methods - hooking up to and using the grid without fear, actual greenhouses that admit sunlight, even outdoor operations.  Though outdoors has the problem that the best bud is unfertilized, and growing outdoors is a good way to have your buds get fertilized by pollen in the wind.

So the best way to stop diesel grows is to legalize.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »
I'm sure you can buy organic tobacco.

You can.  There's a hobbyist market in "home grown" tobacco for pipe and cigar use.  A friend of mine buys it to roll his own cigars and make his own pipe tobacco blends.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 08:57:10 AM »
My brother grows his own and I've had a good look at several different operations he's had.  If you're growing indoors there's a number of pitfalls.
Room to grow, equipment, noise and smell.  His current setup is an indoor hydroponic tent.  Perfect temperature and humidity control.  Requires pumps that flush water into the grow on a timer, and fans that blow out excess humidity.  You can literally smell that skunky aroma when you open his front door. Anything but a small grow eats a ton of electricity.  Indoor growing is the best for quality control.
Outdoor grows can be done anywhere there's fertile land, but is harder to control.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
I have not looked into it, but ever since Washington legalized marijuana, first for medical and then recreational use, it is either illegal or severely restricted to grow your own.  The state wants to be able to tax it and they do that through the retail channel.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
I have not looked into it, but ever since Washington legalized marijuana, first for medical and then recreational use, it is either illegal or severely restricted to grow your own.  The state wants to be able to tax it and they do that through the retail channel.

IIRC Colorado only requires that you grow below a certain number of plants if you're growing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 03:02:48 PM »
Thanks, dm1333, for that explanation of "diesel grow."  I was halfway thinking of that, but didn't know how to put it into words.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »
Thanks, dm1333, for that explanation of "diesel grow."  I was halfway thinking of that, but didn't know how to put it into words.

NP!  It probably sounds like a have a serious hate for marijuana but I really don't.  I do despise the hypocrisy of CA's medical MJ program and the growers who try to paint themselves as innocent back to the land types.  I also hate the whole "it's only pot, it isn't harmful" attitude of so many people.