Author Topic: Honda to Stop Making Lawn Mowers  (Read 392 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Honda to Stop Making Lawn Mowers
« on: November 04, 2022, 09:54:48 AM »
Gas lawn mowers, that is. This will be an interesting precedent to keep an eye on. Honda is king of the small engine, and I'm guessing that this policy will migrate to their entire small engine line.

https://opereviews.com/honda-stops-making-lawn-mowers-exits-market/

My irrigation wheel line mover runs off a Honda, and I'm wondering where I'm going to find a six hundred yard long extension cord to charge it if it has to go electric.  =)

Also, generators will be a hoot. Your generator will now run off an electric motor, which will run as long as you have electricity to charge it, which you won't have if you're using your genny to power your house when the electricity is out.  :laugh:

Edit: Honda did put out a statement that they have no plans to stop making industrial and other small gas engines.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Honda to Stop Making Lawn Mowers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 10:29:02 AM »
Oh, I love my Honda walk-behind mower!  It was a happy day when I bought my HRX217 model.  At the time, there was no other manufacturer that offered the features I was looking for.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 10:29:07 AM »
Here you go. These will generate all the magical unicorn farts you need.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 10:53:36 AM »
Oh, I love my Honda walk-behind mower!  It was a happy day when I bought my HRX217 model.  At the time, there was no other manufacturer that offered the features I was looking for.

I despise mowing the lawn, but I really like my Honda mower.

I'm seriously considering having a xeriscaper coming in next year and cutting the lawn portion of the yards down to under 1000sqft. At that time, I'd happily look into an electric mower. Plus at that point, I could probably sell the discontinued Honda gas mower for a premium.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 11:48:27 AM »
I wasn't clear after reading the article.  Are they stopping lawn mower engine production as well? 

My current mower is a Troy Built push mower, but has a Honda engine that works pretty good. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 12:02:50 PM »
We can always buy the Honda clones out of China.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 12:08:28 PM »
I wasn't clear after reading the article.  Are they stopping lawn mower engine production as well? 

My current mower is a Troy Built push mower, but has a Honda engine that works pretty good.

Hard to tell. A lot of their motors are interchangeable between all kinds of equipment. I've got those small Hondas on my mower, pressure washer, wheel line, and log splitter.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 12:30:03 PM »
Honda really changed the small engine market design with their engines. They made a great, if expensive, gas mower. This coming from a man who grew up with a father who was a traveling salesman selling lawn and garden equipment to independent dealers in several states, mostly Lawn Boy and Ariens IIRC. My mechanic life started as a small engine mech and I have seen and maintained/repaired MANY a Lawn Boy, Briggs & Stratton, and Tecumseh motor. The Honda design finally drug the small engine market out of the 20s and into the 50s+ (Flat-heads to OHV).
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 03:17:33 PM »
Our son is still using my mid 1990s self propelled Honda mower.  I have two elderly Honda single stage snowblowers: one around a 93 and the other around 2000.  I wanted to sell both of them and get a new Honda single stage, but can't find one...they may not be making them.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw