Author Topic: Which Upright Vacuums Suck? (In a Good Way)  (Read 1972 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Which Upright Vacuums Suck? (In a Good Way)
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »
Howdy:

I am in the market for a upright vacuum cleaner.

Requirements:
Light Weight
Low Bulk
Effective on hard surfaces and thick rugs/carpets.

Circumstances:
Mostly hardwood & vinyl flooring.  Several LARGE wool carpets 1-1.5" thick.
Small wife who gets exasperated with heavy & bulky stuff.

Background:
We currently have an old-school Electrolux canister vac with both hard floor and carpet attachments.  It does a better job than anything we have ever used.  Problem is, that it is heavy and crazy bulky.

My wifes old Eureka was pathetic & got kicked to the curb after we got married. (The eureka, not my wife.)

We picked up an Oreck from a garage sale for $5.  I spent time fixing it & some $$$ on a new belt.  It does not have the cojones to clean the thick rugs, period.  They were designed for super-short commercial/business pile.  It is light & handy, though.  So is a push broom.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:36:42 AM »
Well, I was going to recommend Oreck, but never mind.  We like ours.

I don't like the plastic-fantastic models, such as that British brand that was recently popular.  I looked over one in Target.  I figured it wouldn't go 6 months before something broke off.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 10:37:32 AM »
Requirements:
Light Weight
Low Bulk
Effective on hard surfaces and thick rugs/carpets.
Unfortunately, light weight and low bulk usually equal less performance.

Is the weight and bulk issue something born of needing to get into small spaces, or is the user afraid that it will be too bulky to operate? *EDIT TO ADD* should have read the rest of your post before asking - doh!

My (now ex) wife was 5'1" and weighed barely a hundred pounds soaking wet. She got around with our Kirby fine. Of course, it was one of the self-propelled models. You can get rebuilt Kirby's at the outlet stores for a song.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

client32

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 10:44:36 AM »
The $40 vacuum at Wal-mart.
We got it after many problems with our Oreck.  It does a great job at sucking.  I don't know about the hard floors though.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 10:48:29 AM »
I do not require light weight & low bulk, being a Y-chromosome type.

My wife, however, really has to put effort into dragging the Electrolux around.

So, yes, it is a user-driven requirement.

As to the Oreck, it has a 3-3.2 amp motor whereas most uprights have 10+ amps these days.  The reason Orecks are so popular in commercial apps is that they are light & sufficient to the task of cleaning short-pile carpets.  We ran the two (Electrolux & Oreck) side-by-side with new bags after I refurbished the Oreck.  It was no contest.

I stil keep the Oreck around for mid-week cleaning.  It provides an 80% solution.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 10:56:17 AM »
If that's the case, I wholeheartedly recommend a Kirby. Kinda pricey unless you pick up a refurbished model, but darned good and a lot of them are made right here in Texas (Andrews, to be exact - about 1.5 hrs southwest of Lubbock). You can contact their corp office and see if there's a factory store in your area.

http://www.kirby.com/relations.shtml

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 11:07:44 AM »
If you can find a decent one used, the Regina Housekeepers were pretty decent at sucking.  They are a gamble though, since the manufacturer folded.

I currently use one of the Hoover bagless models.  Does a dandy job of picking up cat hair, my hair, dirt and the like from the carpets.  The only complaint I have is the dumping the dirt cup does tend to get the dust scattered about.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 11:32:01 AM »
Did a quick search on ebay and came up with

Kirby Gen V - http://cgi.ebay.com/G-5-KIRBY-VACUUM-CLEANER_W0QQitemZ250027111580QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43531QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's only a couple hundred more to choose from.

Mine is a Gen III. I think they are up to the Gen VII or VIII by now. No problems at all and the thing works beautifully. Don't bother with the shampoo attachment, though. The "dry" systems leave a residue that often attracts dirt worse.

If you can find a decent one used, the Regina Housekeepers were pretty decent at sucking.  They are a gamble though, since the manufacturer folded.
Weren't they bought out by, like, Hoover or something?

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 11:57:47 AM »
The reason that Orecks are used by a lot of "fine hotels" is that Oreck _gives_ them their vaccums...
Blog under construction

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 01:27:12 PM »
You asked about an upright.  If you would try a canster type, I like the Rainbow.  Expensive as new, but it pulls the air through a tank of water.  You never lower the amount of suction and it does not spew anything back into the air.  In fact it could be used as an air cleaner, but not economical for that use.
I love the way it cleans, but my wife hates to use beause you have to start with fresh water each time and then dump the tank and clean it up.

As I said expensive new, but used ones can be found reasonable, if your lucky.

HForrest

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 01:38:11 PM »
Quote from: Desertdog
If you would try a canster type, I like the Rainbow.
I don't have personal experience with these, but I know a person who has several dogs (and thus a considerable amount of dog hair on the floor), and swears by the Rainbow.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 03:02:09 PM »
I have often wondered if the Dysons are worth the money.  They seem to have some very enthusiastic fans.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 03:11:10 PM »
I have a Dirt Devil bagless one I bought at Walmart for under $150. Its a year old now and still does a pretty good job for the money. For hard surface floors I'm a pretty big fan of a Shop Vac then follow up with a dust mop.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »
Rainbow.  The only trouble is, they're expensive.  I think ours was $1100 over ten years ago.  You can call your Rainbow dealer and they will sell you a used/refurbished one though.  I think I paid $425 for the one I use at the shop.

And if banning people is stupid, why do I enjoy it so much? Smiley   Especially trolls!

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 03:23:27 PM »
We recently bought a Dyson.  We have two Bernese Mountain Dogs (which are known to shed a little Cheesy ) and the previous Eureka upright just didn't cut it.  So far, so good with the Dyson.  One feature I like is that there are no bags or belts to replace.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 06:29:55 PM »
SWMBO and I bought a Dyson at Target awhile back.  We really like it, it sucks well and has been holding up to our sometimes rough use just fine.
The wife has long blond hair that tends to end up on the floor. (Don't tell her I said that...)  The Dyson doesn't miss any at all, picks it right up from the carpet.
It's easy to empty, and also easy to see how well it is picking stuff up given that it is a transparent bagless model.
It helps that I work for Target and got the customary discount, but it was still easily worth what we paid for it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »
My Hoover isn't much of a vacuum cleaner.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 07:34:18 PM »
The wife has long blond hair that tends to end up on the floor.
If you don't already know, best to keep an eye on the rotationg brush and its bearings.  When I had my Regina in the 90s and long hair, I went through three rollers due to the hair getting snarled up in the brush and welding the bearings solid.  Since I've grown my hair long again in the past two years, I've had to replace the brush on my current vacuum cleaner due to the same problem.

Well, I'm bored with the long hair anyway.  Just another reason to cut it off.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 08:30:48 PM »
Kirby's are great but are like hauling around a large tombstone.  
For that reason, I'd tend to pass.

Go with a Dyson IF you can find a used, or discount deal somewhere.

Good luck!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 05:10:07 AM »
Sindawe,

Believe me, we're keeping an eye on those bearings.  The Hoover that preceded our Dyson was done in by that exact problem.
So far the Dyson has handled it well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 05:22:43 AM »
Sharp.

Yeah I know.

I went into a Mom&Pop  Store that  sells and services home and commerical needs from vacuums to floor finishers to shop vacs to stuff I have no idea what they are, much less what they do. Tongue

Owner and one of the older repair guys said "Sharp". So I got the Sharp.

So for about 4 years now, these guys were correct. They shared it was rare to have one come in for repair, other than the "normal repairs" - like someone vaccuming over the cord, some kid yanking the cord out , or dog chewing on the wheels or attachements.

"Be surprised how many dog chewed vacuums we get to fix. Dogs usually hate vacuums and will run away. When the owners are gone the dogs chew on the thing"  Cheesy

Upright, easy to handle, all the attachments fit and stay put. Works on hardwood, linoleum and carpet. Bag is easy to change.

Oh I also snagged one of those lightweight manual "room brooms". That thing is handy to run over carpet, under dining table , even kitchen floor.

One can even run it over carpet real fast and it looks like you just vacuumed before company shows up.

"Oh you shouldn't have vacuumed just because we were coming over". -company will say.

"Not a problem" - you can reply.

Smiley