Author Topic: FBI says he wanted to join jihad, but he says he was just having fun  (Read 1420 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
A couple of things bother me about this, besides the obvious "it happened down the street a 1/2 mile from the house."

UTD student convicted of having weapon

FBI says he wanted to join jihad, but he says he was just having fun

08:46 PM CDT on Thursday, May 24, 2007

By JASON TRAHAN / The Dallas Morning News
jtrahan@dallasnews.com

A University of Texas at Dallas sophomore who prosecutors said longed to join the fight against U.S. forces in the Middle East was convicted by a Houston jury on federal weapons charges Thursday.

Syed Maaz Shah, 20, a Pakistan native majoring in electrical engineering, was convicted of firing an Armalite M-15 assault weapon on two camping trips in January and March in a rural area near Willis, north of Houston.

The FBI says Mr. Shah and other men on the trips were engaged in military training with the ultimate goal to join the jihad, or holy war, against the U.S. overseas.

During his trial this week, Mr. Shah said he was going on fishing trips and didn't know guns would be involved.

"I was invited by my friends to go camping and have a good time, and that's what we had," said Mr. Shah in a letter to the UTD Mercury student newspaper that was published in February. "Isn't it mind-boggling that someone can be placed in prison for merely going to a shooting range? ... I mean, for God's sake, we live in Texas ..."

After a three-day trial in front of U.S. District Judge Melinda Harmon in Houston, Mr. Shah was convicted on two counts of alien in possession of a firearm affecting interstate commerce.

Mr. Shah entered the U.S. in 2005 on a student visa and as such was prohibited from possessing a firearm, authorities said. He faces up to 20 years in prison. He will be sentenced Sept. 14.

In late November, he was arrested outside his UTD campus apartment and was transferred to Houston to join three co-defendants who authorities say joined him on the training campouts.

Prosecutors said that when Mr. Shaw was arrested, he told agents he went on the campouts to prepare for "what may come" and described American forces in Iraq as "invaders." During his trial, Mr. Shah denied making those statements.

Extremist materials were found on Mr. Shah's computer, seized by agents in Dallas, prosecutors said. "Statue of Liberty in Burka" reads the name of one file from his computer, according to a government trial exhibit list.

Shiraz Syed Qazi, 26, also in the U.S. on a student visa, was sentenced last week to 10 months in prison for unlawful possession of a firearm during the campouts.

Adnan Babar Mirza, a 29-year-old Pakistani native, is scheduled for trial in October on federal conspiracy and firearms charges.

A third co-defendant, Kobie Diallo Williams, a 33-year-old U.S. citizen, will be sentenced in October after his November 2006 guilty plea to conspiracy charges related to raising money for the Taliban and gun charges.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: FBI says he wanted to join jihad, but he says he was just having fun
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:27:35 AM »
If the feds are going to prosecute people for preparing "for what may come", then the FBI needs to arrest THR. grin

Calling the US troops "invaders" gets you a stay at the Bureau of Prisons?  So the FBI is going to arrest every member of the Democrat Party in the U.S. Congress.

Preparedness Police=> police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

client32

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:10:56 AM »
The above post is why I don't pass up a thread that has Tejon's name attached to it.

He can find the bright side of every situation except pickups parked in ones own yard.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 08:19:50 AM »
The key in my mind is that as a non-resident alien he cannot posses firearms, and apparently he did. The totality of the piece makes me think he is indeed what he seems to be - a terrorist wanna-be. Send him packing back where he came from rather than wasting prison space on him.

I think the article may have mistated what he was convicted of. AFAIK, there is no law banning shooting of firearms by NR aliens, only possessing them.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:38:32 AM »
Extremist materials were found on Mr. Shah's computer, seized by agents in Dallas, prosecutors said. "Statue of Liberty in Burka" reads the name of one file from his computer, according to a government trial exhibit list.

He's just lucky he didn't get busted by the Fashion Police! rolleyes
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:58:21 PM »
After a three-day trial in front of U.S. District Judge Melinda Harmon in Houston, Mr. Shah was convicted on two counts of alien in possession of a firearm affecting interstate commerce.

El Tejon, surely a resident alien can go to a firing range and handle a weapon, right?  So what does that charge mean?

"Isn't it mind-boggling that someone can be placed in prison for merely going to a shooting range? ... I mean, for God's sake, we live in Texas ..."

This part doesn't ease my paranoia any:
was convicted of firing an Armalite M-15 assault weapon

I thought "assault weapon" was a legal term that died when "The Assault Weapons" bill expired. 

Has anyone sifted any nuggets truth out of this in a way that is understandable to someone without Top Secret clearance or a Journalism degree?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 06:24:07 AM »
Has anyone sifted any nuggets truth out of this in a way that is understandable to someone without Top Secret clearance or a Journalism degree?

Clear case of SWM (Shooting While Muslim) Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 08:00:11 AM »
A Little B-Ground:
I have known and worked with and studied with some of the local muslim population here in N Texas.  I think it is second only to Dearborn, MI, with regard to muslim population: immigrant citizen, native-born, and legal aliens of various types.

UTD has a potful of all sorts of foreign students, to include a hefty contingent of muslims.

There are some pretty radicalized local mosques, as can be divined (yuk, yuk) from their leaders' statements and their activities.

N Texas is where several muslims were indicted & convicted of funneling $$$ to terrorist organizations by means of "charities."

----

That said, I was put off at first by the article.  "They're convicting him for shooting an AR15!?" was my first thought.  Especially after, "Isn't it mind-boggling that someone can be placed in prison for merely going to a shooting range? ... I mean, for God's sake, we live in Texas ..."

Then I re-read the article and came across the following bits:
Syed Maaz Shah, 20, a Pakistan native... Mr. Shah entered the U.S. in 2005 on a student visa and as such was prohibited from possessing a firearm
So, he was not a citizen and did break the law against foreigners here on student visas owning a firearm.  And it wasn't just the shooting of the AR15, it was possessing it that earned him the conviction.

Prosecutors said that when Mr. Shaw was arrested, he told agents he went on the campouts to prepare for "what may come" and described American forces in Iraq as "invaders."...Extremist materials were found on Mr. Shah's computer...
Biting the hand that lets your *expletive deleted*ss in the door and educates your happy self is bad form, old boy.

Shiraz Syed Qazi, 26, also in the U.S. on a student visa, was sentenced last week to 10 months in prison for unlawful possession of a firearm during the campouts.

Adnan Babar Mirza, a 29-year-old Pakistani native, is scheduled for trial in October on federal conspiracy and firearms charges.

A third co-defendant, Kobie Diallo Williams, a 33-year-old U.S. citizen, will be sentenced in October after his November 2006 guilty plea to conspiracy charges related to raising money for the Taliban and gun charges.

Hokay, here it gets clearer.  Syed Maaz Shah was hanging out with all these other Pakis and an American who were running about, made their hatred of the USA known, and raised money for known terrorist organizations.

From my reading between the lines, the FBI had these guys under surveillance for some time, kept tally of provable crimes, took note of their terrorist-sympathies, and nabbed them when they had enough for any serious conviction.

So, Syed Maaz Shah & his buds were likely playing islamo-mall-ninja in the woods, conspiring to do some nefarious crimes, and were nailed with the easiest & handiest charges the FBI/DA could muster.

The only interesting bit is Syed Maaz Shah's appeal to Texans' fondness for firearms and RKBA sympathies.  It seems a jury in Houston was not fooled.

I'd say he earned his stay in the Graybar Hotel.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 08:02:15 AM »

Clear case of SWM (Shooting While Muslim) Wink
No, more like a case of a terrorist wannabe getting nabbed and nailed as were the Ft Dix Six. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »
FBI says he wanted tro join jihad, but he says he was just having fun.

There's a song in there somewhere. grin
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 03:48:12 PM »
It's only funny until someone attacks an infidel...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 08:43:48 PM »
...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 09:32:18 PM »
Exactly what does it take to be "in possession" of a gun?  Do you have to own it?  If you squeez off a few rounds from a friend's rifle, were you "in possession" of that gun?

I agree with jfruser that this guy was probably a bad dude whom the fibbies had been watching for some time.  They got him on the charges that were easy to convict, even if those charges happened to be semi-obscure technicalities of immigration law.

But...

Firearms and shooting is one area of Americana that has a strong appeal to foreign students studying at American universities.  It isn't uncommon for foreigners (here under student visas) to wander in to the school's shooting club looking for a few hours of trigger time.  If the club obliges and let's them shoot through a box or two of ammo, is that a crime?

If so, I've seen this crime committed countless times by dozens of people.  Granted, most were Asians and not Muslim terrorist whackjobs.  But still...   undecided

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 01:52:32 PM »
Exactly what does it take to be "in possession" of a gun?  Do you have to own it?  If you squeez off a few rounds from a friend's rifle, were you "in possession" of that gun?

Apparantly, what's needed is for you to be "under suspicion".  At that point, pretty much anything you do is going to be illegal.

It is literally impossible to go through your life without constantly violating a myriad of laws and regulations.  Our overlords kindly deign to notice most of these transgressions.  But if they want you in prison, it's off to prison you'll go.