Main Forums > The Roundtable

Looking for a new, single-shoulder bookbag

(1/1)

BakerMikeRomeo:
Hi, everybody,

I have a Maxpedition FatBoy S-Type Versipack that I carry around with all my daily essentials in it, but as a college student, carrying my FatBoy and a two-strap backpack (currently a Maxpedition Baby Condor) in addition to the FatBoy is cumbersome and uncomfortable.

So! As the thread title states, I've been looking around for a backpack/bookbag that'll hang over one shoulder, with the following specifications, more of less:

A) Preferably _not_ satchel style. I want it to stay on my back, not hang down low on my hip.

B) Left-handed. If it can only be carried one way (some one-shoulder backpacks are set up to only hang one way) then it ought to be able to hang from my left shoulder.

C) Capacity: I'll have to carry possibly two or three textbooks, a notebook or two, and a laptop. So the main compartment'll have to be 11" on a side at least and 6 to 8 inches deep.

D) A wide, padded strap, if possible.

E) Durability, well-constructed, etc.

F) Price: 100-150 dollars

I really liked Maxpedition's "Monsoon" Gearslinger (and I like Maxpedition in general) but it's not made for left-shouldered folks, and it's not reversible (so far as I can tell). I've also been roaming around various messenger bag manufacturers' websites (R.E.LOADED, Chrome (?), etc.). Any and all recommendations and help are appreciated.

Thanks, y'all.

~GnSx

Guest:
www.chromebags.com
www.timbuk2.com
www.reloadbags.com

These are the better known makers of "messenger bags" (for bicycles primarily) that would seem to fit your requirements. They are all available for use with either shoulder (you must specify which) and they are made to stay put on your back rather than flopping around too much, many of them include a waist strap to help in that effort. There are other manufactures out there but I cant remember their sites. These are cited as being amoung the best, but they are expensive. You have already been pushed in that direction and I think its the best way to go.

FYI wearing the bag from the left shoulder is "normal" as it leaves the bag accessable to the right hand (like drawing from an IWB on that side), if you are a lefty you might prefer wearing over the right shoulder to allow access to your left hand into the bag while shouldered. All of these companies offer either option. I have never purchased from reloadbags myself, but that is going to be my next bag, they are willing to do just about any custom configuration that you want, while the other two companies are less flexible. The consequence is that they are pricey.

K Frame:
LL Bean has some nice bags that might fit your bill.

This one looks particularly interesting, and it's relatively inexpensive...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=turbo-sling-bag&categoryId=47994&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=5181&cat4=2952&shop_method=pp&feat=ln

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version