Author Topic: NY working harder and harder  (Read 1014 times)

zahc

• friend
NY working harder and harder
« on: September 23, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
A company I used to work for just got a 500 million dollar grant to build their new factory in NYS instead of NC.

Half a billion dollars is higher than I usually hear about, and it's not tax incentives or loans. They are calling it a grant. That's almost a free factory.

What do you call it when a state has insane taxes, so businesses all leave, then they try to straight up give away wads of cash to get companies to come back? Wouldn't it be better to just have a better business friendly environment to start with?

Also, at what point do the feds step in and stop it? Is there not a legitimate interstate commerce issue with these kinds of "incentives"? I'm sure states aren't allowed to impose tariffs on each other, and they have usually played this game by offering "tax incentives", but at some point does NC take NYS to court over buying NC businesses with public money?

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/09/23/cree-picks-new-york-for-new-1b-chip-plant-lands-500m-state-grant-other-incentives/
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

griz

• friend
Re: NY working harder and harder
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »
I'm not a lawyer at all, but I would think the state has the right to squander it's money as it sees fit.  The citizens also have the right to vote the incumbents out of office or move to a state that's more responsible.  If it comes to a Fed Gov bailout, then the landscape changes.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »
Yes, giving away money you don't have.  Makes perfect sense.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 12:50:36 PM »
Washington state has given Boeing billions in grants, tax exemptions and other financial incentives to 'keep jobs in Washington'.  Asking the state for the actual or projected return on investment is largely met with embarrassed silence.  Meanwhile, Boeing continues to increase operations in South Carolina.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 01:06:57 PM »
Washington state has given Boeing billions in grants, tax exemptions and other financial incentives to 'keep jobs in Washington'.  Asking the state for the actual or projected return on investment is largely met with embarrassed silence.  Meanwhile, Boeing continues to increase operations in South Carolina.
IIRC, Obama's Labor Department ORDERED Boeing to NOT operate in SC, since it would be "unfair" to Boeing workers in Seattle.

That touched off a real firestorm, with most people (including congresscritters) asserting that the order was null and void since they didn't have that authority. Boeing's attitude seemed to be "Find a Federal judge to back you up and cite the law letting you pull this cr@p, otherwise we're proceeding."

Union & Boeing settled, labor department backed off saying the settlement made the issue moot.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
So...
Build "free" factory in NY.
Operate till taxes overcome profit.
Bail out with no real monetary loss.
I can't see any potential downside for the company.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
So...
Build "free" factory in NY.
Operate till taxes overcome profit.
Bail out with no real monetary loss.
I can't see any potential downside for the company.

This. They'd be dumb if they didn't. Take the savings and (quietly) plow it into capital investments/improvements at facilities in more business-friendly states, or establish satellite offices that just accidentally get built to the spec of a production facility, or at least the necessary shell space. A ready-made place ready for use when the NY incentives sunset.

Brad  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:13:46 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »
It's a warehouse for air. A wairhouse, if you will.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »
The suspicious part of my mind wants to know what local permitting and approvals would cost (among other things) should they take the grant and build in New York.  I suppose it would take a lot to eat up that kind of money, but I would still want to be certain.  If it was LA or San Francisco, I think it would be no.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge