Author Topic: Rusty classic Oldsmobile  (Read 1467 times)

Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« on: April 24, 2006, 10:59:49 PM »
It's been sitting at the corner down the road in the guy's carport for as long as I can remember.

From what I can see, it might look pretty cool in running condition. Then again, it's literally right next to an auto shop and on a busy corner, so he probably gets offers on it all the time, or else it's too far gone.

Should I get some pics up?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Olds6098vista.jpg

The 'Oldsmobile' name is on it like that, but it doesn't quite look like the same car. Close though.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:05:55 AM »
That car is fugly...  I'd hate to do body work on all those angles. So fugly that one must own it! Too bad we won't see buck twenty gas anymore because you could build one hell of a big block to make that baby fly with those wings.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Azrael256

• friend
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:39:45 AM »
Eh...  if you have a WHOLE LOT of time, and have an uncanny skill for assembling body parts nice and straight, I think it would be a fun project.  I rebuilt a '57 Bel Air with a friend over two summers, and it really was a good time.

For something of that age, if the body panels are rusted through in any significant way, you'd better have a buddy with an english wheel.

crt360

• friend
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 04:23:40 PM »
Is that like Hamilton's "cruising vessel" from Fast Times?  Sweet looking car.  If you want to buy a '71 Sedan deVille to go with it, I think I still have one somewhere that runs and had A/C the last time I drove it.  I actually used it as a daily driver for awhile and was amazed by the attention it got.  It was in excellent shape until it sat out at my mechanic's place for a long, long time.  Now it might be a rusty classic.  Sad  With gas prices going the wrong direction, I can't really afford to do much driving in it myself.
For entertainment purposes only.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 07:06:33 PM »
Hmmm...my grandparents had a copper color Oldsmoboogie of similar vintage when I was a little kid. Of course,it was nearly new at the time.

Looks like a '59 or possibly a '60.  If you pick it up, bring two big bags of monry. The first will be to clean up from the vermin which have invariably been nesting in the deepest recesses and crannies. The second will be to replace the chrome and stainless trim that has been exposed to the atmosphere for the last 55 years.  Oops..out of money. Forgot about the odd B-O-P only parts lines. Chevy stuff doesn't fit for the most part- this was back when GM cars were all identifiable instead of differentiated by badge only.

Like I said...ya gotta have money.  Looks like, from the limited view, it could be reasonably solid IF the windows were all up tight.

Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

brimic

• friends
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 07:18:48 PM »
That car is certainly a boat.
There is a saying about watergoing boats "a boat is a holein the water that you throw money in to"

It pretty much applies to that car as well.

I got to admit, there is a '66 cutlass supreme in similar condition for sale down the road for me. Its tempting but,  I just don't have the time or money for it. Personally I feel that Oldsmobiles, especially Cutlasses and 442s from 1966 through the late 70s are some of of the neatest looking cars GM produced in that era.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 07:45:42 PM »
Yeah, my best friend from grade school bought a ragged '70 Cutlass convertible several years ago. Got the thing reupholstered, shot a coat of *bright* red paint on it, and I rebuilt the 350 Olds motor and transmission for him. Sounded as incredible as it looked.

Chick magnet? Oh yeah...

I have to use a bit of restraint any time I see a 70-72 Cutlass convertible for sale these days.  SWMBO couldnt bear to be around me if I had one.

Regards,
Rabbit.
Albert Einstein

bratch

• friend
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:54:39 PM »
I've got a 72 Cutlass S that is a head turner.  I"m hoping to have it running again in a few weeks.  I don't even want to think what it will do to gas.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 06:16:22 AM »
Quote from: crt360
Is that like Hamilton's "cruising vessel" from Fast Times?  Sweet looking car.  If you want to buy a '71 Sedan deVille to go with it, I think I still have one somewhere that runs and had A/C the last time I drove it.  I actually used it as a daily driver for awhile and was amazed by the attention it got.  It was in excellent shape until it sat out at my mechanic's place for a long, long time.  Now it might be a rusty classic.  Sad  With gas prices going the wrong direction, I can't really afford to do much driving in it myself.
If he doesn't want it - i might be interested.  Of course, depending on what part of Texas you are in , it might cast me too much in gas to get it back to Oklahoma...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:30:46 PM »
Might be a good return on the investment.

I still wish I had my '60 Impala 2-door hardtop.  Made the horizontal tailfins on that Olds look weak in comparison.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 07:41:13 PM »
Aw, Rich, the gas prices dropped from 2.99 a gallon this morning when I filled up the pickup on the way to work down to 2.97 a gallon when I filled up the Zook at the same store tonight.

It's moving in the right direction, I suppose.

Besides, a 472 Caddy with a semi-functioning Quadrabog gets every bit of 10mpg on the highway. Fill up in DFW and you can get at least to Tulsa before you have to put more in that 35 gallon tank, if the traffic is clear.

Gives a new angle on the Caddy's sister car, the Buick Century. Costs that much to fill the tank.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Regards,
Rabbit.
Albert Einstein

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 06:42:39 AM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
Aw, Rich, the gas prices dropped from 2.99 a gallon this morning when I filled up the pickup on the way to work down to 2.97 a gallon when I filled up the Zook at the same store tonight.

It's moving in the right direction, I suppose.

Besides, a 472 Caddy with a semi-functioning Quadrabog gets every bit of 10mpg on the highway. Fill up in DFW and you can get at least to Tulsa before you have to put more in that 35 gallon tank, if the traffic is clear.

Gives a new angle on the Caddy's sister car, the Buick Century. Costs that much to fill the tank.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Regards,
Rabbit.
If it runs, and he wants to get rid of it, I'm interested - even if it takes a C-note to fillit up....

crt360

• friend
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 07:37:02 AM »
richyoung,

I'll try to go get the Caddy from my mechanic in the next few days.  I haven't seen it in some time, so I'm not sure what to expect.  I'll let you know more when I get it back.
For entertainment purposes only.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Rusty classic Oldsmobile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 07:18:39 AM »
OK - no big rush as I'm still hobbling on my broken ankle...