Author Topic: What's the biggest challenge in colonizing Mars?  (Read 1594 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
What's the biggest challenge in colonizing Mars?
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:40:24 AM »
Social justice, apparently, is the big challenge facing us when colonizing foreign planets.  It's not finding oxygen or water, not staying warm or avoiding radiation, not the challenge of getting people to other planets alive and healthy. 

Racism and sexism and inequality are the big concerns we need to think about.  And we're not thinking about them enough.  And talk, too.  We need to talk about them more.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/the-lay-scientist/2015/may/06/how-can-our-future-mars-colonies-be-free-of-sexism-and-racism

To paraphrase Douglas Adams: “Space is white. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly white it is.” It’s also very male and European.

And it’s there, unspoken and unchallenged, at the heart of our current aspirations for space. There’s no room for discussion about social justice or equality when it comes to planning our future Mars colonies because we all just assume that decent educated scientists and engineers – the “right kind” of people – won’t have any problem with that sort of thing.

The first woman to be raped in space has probably already been born. And if that last sentence makes you howl with protest or insist that such a thing just wouldn’t happen, then I’d stop a second and ask yourself why.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: What's the biggest challenge in colonizing Mars?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »
And of course the "problem" isn't the dark side of "the human condition", or exporting it to space, it's the people who use words like "progressive" in their zeal to eliminate all problems, inevitably create ones that are much, much worse.

People think the gulags in Siberia were bad...
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 12:44:48 PM »
I find it amusing that all those who are talking/writing/wringing hands over the problems of an activity such as colonizing Mars (or holding a day care center bake sale) also know what the answers are but are not volunteering to go to Mars/participate in the bake sale.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
Gives new meaning to, "In space, no one can hear you scream."

A nation that worries about having too many cisgendered, heterosexual, Eurocentric white, male astronauts is not likely to reach another planet. They will simply leave more room for other, less hand-wringing nations, who care even less about who gets space-raped. In space, no one can hear your transgendered, spotted-owl-kin perspective.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:36:46 PM »
We will never get to the colonization of mars if we waste all of our resources on earth trying to guilt each other into paying the way for people who should be too dumb to exist in the first place.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »
Perhaps we should take a page from the British and use convicts, etc. to colonize Mars.  We can call it 'New Australia'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 02:18:03 PM »
I only made it about halfway through the article before giving up due to a fear of my brain rotting from within.  But what got my attention was the argument wasn't about why a particular person might be better to go on a long space flight (hint: smaller creatures weigh less and use less oxygen) but instead the argument was more along the lines of "white men have had their turn, now we need to be fair and send somebody else".  Fair is where you go to get cotton candy.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »
Can we put these people on a space ship and aim it at the Sun?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
Can we put these people on a space ship and aim it at the Sun?

All of them?
I like the way you think  >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »
Perhaps we should take a page from the British and use convicts, etc. to colonize Mars.  We can call it 'New Australia'.

I do like that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:15:19 PM »
#1 problem in colonizing Mars is social justice spending on Earth and political correctness in NASA; in the US we're flushing over one trillion dollars a year - that's, $1,000,000,000,000.00 - down the endless sewer of "means tested entitlement programs" for which we get nothing. (This does NOT include Social Security!!)

This is what cut the Apollo Program short, it's why we have the ISS in orbit today rather than a large "wheel" like in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey . . . and it's why under Obama the USA HAS LOST ITS MANNED SPACEFLIGHT CAPABILITY.    :mad:  <string of expletives>
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 07:09:20 AM »
#1 problem in colonizing Mars is social justice spending on Earth and political correctness in NASA; in the US we're flushing over one trillion dollars a year - that's, $1,000,000,000,000.00 - down the endless sewer of "means tested entitlement programs" for which we get nothing. (This does NOT include Social Security!!)

This is what cut the Apollo Program short, it's why we have the ISS in orbit today rather than a large "wheel" like in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey . . . and it's why under Obama the USA HAS LOST ITS MANNED SPACEFLIGHT CAPABILITY.    :mad:  <string of expletives>

Thank God for companies like Virgin and SpaceX.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic