Author Topic: VPN Server Distance = Zero Mles?  (Read 1200 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
VPN Server Distance = Zero Mles?
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
Quick question for nerds, because my google foo seems to be lacking. When I was browsing this morning and happened to check my VPN server load (I'm using Nord VPN), the distance to server was zero miles. Yesterday it was 32 miles, which would make sense since I'm about that far from Twin Falls, ID, which is big enough to host servers.

Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere, so unless cows have servers, it seems strange. Yesterday their were several severs in the 32 mile range, today they all read zero miles. I have no clue. I'm currently connected to one that's ~720 miles away.

I'm new to the cloud VPN game where you can choose your server, so not sure what to make of it. Heading to Utah today so I'll see if this repeats on the road.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: VPN Server Distance = Zero Mles?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:54:46 AM »
Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere, so unless cows have servers, it seems strange.

Cows have guns and with guns, you can get servers?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »

Don't worry about it. Just part of how the process works. Remember you're using protocols that are in some cases over 40 years old at this point.

Could be worse. The more I dive into IPv6, the more I think some of those old timers had some good ideas and some of the stuff we come up these days are pants on heads retarded. With the old timey protocols, you had to ponder things over quite a bit before implementing. Your end users weren't your beta testers. Some of this stuff couldn't be changed after it was sent out.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
Your end users weren't your beta testers.

Heresy!
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:55:48 PM »
Geo-location via an IP address is nothing close to an exact science--I wouldn't worry about it, since there's nothing you can do anyway!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
Okay, thanks. I won't worry about it. I was a little paranoid at the "low miles" as it were. At home, the closest servers seem to be in San Francisco, so I've not yet seen any distances under three digits. I'm trying to get comfortable with cloud VPN vs the Cisco VPN I always used at work. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."