Main Forums > The Roundtable

Africa is giving nothing to anyone -- apart from AIDS

<< < (2/15) > >>

RevDisk:

--- Quote from: GigaBuist on July 23, 2008, 09:44:04 AM ---
--- Quote ---With the exception of Egypt
What makes Egypt so different?

More civilized, less open warfare, little famine, no roving militias, an actual economy, a functional educational system, and a military that doesn't overthrow the government every fake election.   Egypt has its issues, but not nearly as large as the rest of Africa.

Manedwolf:

--- Quote from: GigaBuist on July 23, 2008, 09:44:04 AM ---
--- Quote ---With the exception of Egypt
What makes Egypt so different?

It was civilized for millennia while Europeans were still wearing bearskins and whacking each other over the head with bones.

De Selby:
Of course it's just "self loathing liberalism" to mention that most of Africa was colonized by brutal, racist European/white governments until fairly recently.

I'm sure living under conditions that made American slavery look like an exercise in philanthropy had at least a little bit to do with where Africa is today.

Manedwolf:

--- Quote from: shootinstudent on July 23, 2008, 10:34:01 AM ---Of course it's just "self loathing liberalism" to mention that most of Africa was colonized by brutal, racist European/white governments until fairly recently.

I'm sure living under conditions that made American slavery look like an exercise in philanthropy had at least a little bit to do with where Africa is today.

Are you just committed to excusing the worst bits of humanity and spitting on every single aspect of Western values, or what?

De Selby:

--- Quote from: Manedwolf on July 23, 2008, 10:34:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: shootinstudent on July 23, 2008, 10:34:01 AM ---Of course it's just "self loathing liberalism" to mention that most of Africa was colonized by brutal, racist European/white governments until fairly recently.

Are you just committed to excusing the worst bits of humanity and spitting on every single aspect of Western values, or what?

No, I'm not excusing it, but I don't believe in completely self-congratulatory rants (which this article is) that do not take into account the help the Africans have had in arriving at this sad state.

A european writing about how pathetic Africa has become is like a rapist writing a column about how his victim is too depressed to get a job and a big loser. 

Yeah, there are clearly other factors at play and the Africans are undeniably to be faulted for their behaviors, but that doesn't mean that colonizing and enslaving the place had no role in creating African society as it exists today.  It's mind boggling that anyone would write an article about the widespread dysfunction that completely ignores the role that modern colonization played.

If you could add context to this article, it would read something like this:

"Hey, all the white europeans did was enslave and destroy every traditional society in Africa....now it's up to them to be decent, and they're failing.  Not our fault at all!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version