Author Topic: Who is the President's Aide de Camp?  (Read 3541 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Who is the President's Aide de Camp?
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
Who is President Obama's aide de camp?  Or do Presidents still have those? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friend
Re: Who is the President's Aide de Camp?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:11:39 AM »
Good question.  I don't know if there is a current one although there maybe someone that has the title for purely symbolic reasons.  I can't imagine Obama actually uses some military officer for the traditional aide-de-camp functions.

And it's probably not a necessary position anymore.... face it, there are enough "dog robbers" in Congress and the administration....

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:41:58 AM »
Wouldn't that be kinda like the "Chief of Staff"?  In that case it would Rhambo.

According to Wiki it should a militart officer of unspecified rank (though 4-stars apparently get one each Colonel, Lieutenant Colonel, and Major).  The ranking officer of the various aides would be responsible for managing the other aides and other personal staff like drivers, chefs, pimps, etc.
Formerly sumpnz

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:33:51 AM »
Isn't that the person who carries the "football"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:11:31 AM »
The White House Military Office, currently headed by George Mulligan, is responsible for transportation, medical support, communications, the mess, and other duties as assigned. The visible "football" carrier is a junior member of WHMO assigned on a rotating basis.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »
Isn't that the person who carries the "football"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

No, the guy who carries the football has no duties other than to carry the codes. The White House equivalent to an aide de camp would be the Chief of Staff.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:38:31 AM »
Wouldn't that be kinda like the "Chief of Staff"?  In that case it would Rhambo.

According to Wiki it should a militart officer of unspecified rank (though 4-stars apparently get one each Colonel, Lieutenant Colonel, and Major).  The ranking officer of the various aides would be responsible for managing the other aides and other personal staff like drivers, chefs, pimps, etc.

I was reading the same Wiki article, which prompted the question.  Google didn't turn up much of anything for me, so I wondered if the position had lapsed into obsolescence.  It looks like the WHMO might be the current incarnation.  Thanks, Leatherneck. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife