Author Topic: Who is the "head admin"  (Read 20248 times)

taurusowner

Who is the "head admin"
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »
Who is the top admin of this board?

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Who is the "head admin"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »
Oleg Volk is the owner of this message board.  As such, I would say he is the "head admin".

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »
Is he involved with day to day admin stuff?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
So, what are you exactly looking for?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »
Interesting question. I'm curious why you'd want to know. Issue with a mod/admin so you're trying to goto that mod/admins "manager"?

In any case, Oleg may mostly lurk but he is involved in the boards workings. I have reported an online gambling site spam post before, and Oleg emailed me about it. Between THR, his blog, and you know actual life he's pretty busy, but if you have an urgent matter I'd write to him.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »
I have no qualms with any particular member or Mod.  Just a general question/idea that would be best addressed by the head honcho so to speak.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
I have no qualms with any particular member or Mod.  Just a general question/idea that would be best addressed by the head honcho so to speak.

That would be Oleg.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »
Oleg's the boss, but if the question is regarding normal day to day stuff, any of the regular admins can answer it. 

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »
I've had good luck talking with both mtnbkr and Ben about a wide variety of issues. For purely technical issues I believe Nick1911 would be the man to see. I'd goto them first before bothering Oleg. If it's truly above their paygrade they'll tell you and refer you to Oleg.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »
I've had good luck talking with both mtnbkr and Ben about a wide variety of issues. For purely technical issues I believe Nick1911 would be the man to see. I'd goto them first before bothering Oleg. If it's truly above their paygrade they'll tell you and refer you to Oleg.

You mean they get paid for what they do?!?!?  They should be giving Oleg a kickback for putting up with them. =D =D =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »
Oleg has to pay them, so they have enough cash for the kickback. [popcorn] :lol:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
Oleg owns the board, and thusly we kind of follow a what Oleg wants goes rule.  
As mtnbkr suggested, just pick a mod who hasn't pissed you off lately and shoot away.  Often times we confer amongst ourselves to give the best answer. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »
Well like I said it's not an issue with an particular mod, just kinda forum/mod actions in general.  A pet peeve of mine of you will.  I guess I'll just say it and you all can decide if it's worth discussing.  If not, that's fine too..

Like I said, this isn't about any particular mod, and nothing recent has really triggered this thought.  But it concerns the locking of threads.  Specifically, when the mod who is doing the locking takes the opportunity to also make one last comment  or even a remark about a member.  On this forum, as with most forums, mod/admins are also posting members, which is cool.  But I guess I would like to see more separation between a mod posting as a member, and exercising his authority.  Basically, when a thread is worthy of being locked I would prefer to see something like "Thread locked for rude comments" or "Thread locked because it is off topic."  When a debate is going on, I just prefer all involved in the debate to be on equal footing.  So when it comes time for a mod to step above the rest and lock it down, I would also like to see the mod remove himself from the topic and not use his final locking post as a chance to get the last word in, or address something that was said in the thread.  If a member needs a talking-to, I would suggest a PM as the best means to address the member's behavior, and leave the public act of mod-authority as the most bare-bones detached expression possible.

Thoughts?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:02 PM »
What mtnbkr and Jamis said -- pick one of us you're not currently mad at and ask away. :)  If it's a major issue the mods will generally confer.

Also not to put Nick on the spot, but if it's a board tech question, he's a good goto guy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »

just pick a mod who hasn't pissed you off lately and shoot away.  

But it concerns the locking of threads.  Specifically, when the mod who is doing the locking takes the opportunity to also make one last comment  or even a remark about a member.  On this forum, as with most forums, mod/admins are also posting members, which is cool.  But I guess I would like to see more separation between a mod posting as a member, and exercising his authority.  Basically, when a thread is worthy of being locked I would prefer to see something like "Thread locked for rude comments" or "Thread locked because it is off topic."  When a debate is going on, I just prefer all involved in the debate to be on equal footing.  So when it comes time for a mod to step above the rest and lock it down, I would also like to see the mod remove himself from the topic and not use his final locking post as a chance to get the last word in, or address something that was said in the thread.  If a member needs a talking-to, I would suggest a PM as the best means to address the member's behavior, and leave the public act of mod-authority as the most bare-bones detached expression possible.

Thoughts?

Gosh, that's an excellent idea.   :angel:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »
I also have recognized this as an occasional problem.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »
Some threads get locked . . .  free.

Some posts get deleted . . . also free.

Getting in the last word . . . priceless.

[popcorn]

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
Some threads get locked . . .  free.

Some posts get deleted . . . also free.

Getting in the last word . . . priceless.

[popcorn]

and sometimes funny as hell. :lol:

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »
Ragnar raises a valid point.  The mods are currently discussing amongst ourselves.  The rest of you need not turn this into a mod bashing thread.  We do the best we can to keep this place from turning into an uncivil cesspit.  We're human.  Oh, and we're totally doing it for free.  Remember, you always get what you pay for.

Here's the thing:
Sometimes something has to be said.  Just locking the thread isn't always enough.  Many times, it is said in PM.  Sometimes, a public comment is in order.  Its a fine line between using it as an excuse to get the last word of the argument in.  Sometimes, the last word in the argument is the reason to close the thread if that makes any sense. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 04:06:55 PM »
In all honesty though, the mods who did/do the last-wordism thing haven't been around a lot lately.

And I don't count "We've done this before, it never ends well" kind of comments as last-wordisim either.

Only when the mod interjects one final argument for their view of the debate and locks it.
I promise not to duck.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
Sometimes it's nice to have pointed out exactly what type of behavior gets a thread closed.
7-11 was a part time job.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 04:15:35 PM »
AJ Dual speaks my mind on this subject. Glad to hear the mods are aware of it, but I haven't seen any problems with this for a bit. I was insulted by JJ after I got a thread locked, but in all fairness I probably deserved it. Would it have been better to just delete my post and lock without comment? I think so, but I'm not going to go cry like some emo kid because of it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »
AJ Dual speaks my mind on this subject. Glad to hear the mods are aware of it, but I haven't seen any problems with this for a bit. I was insulted by JJ after I got a thread locked, but in all fairness I probably deserved it. Would it have been better to just delete my post and lock without comment? I think so, but I'm not going to go cry like some emo kid because of it.

But, it was also a point to others that overly personal insults do get a thread closed.  I was defintely using a pointy stick in that one, though :-*
JD

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
Yeah, I know. And I don't really care, as I said it's not a big deal. I should point out that I was trying to explain that my perception of the issue was irreconciably different than Micro's because of our radically different world views. Didn't quite come out that way tho, and I accept the consequences.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
Who is the top admin of this board?
fistful