Author Topic: UPS Replacement Batteries?  (Read 867 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
UPS Replacement Batteries?
« on: July 28, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
Does anyone have any long-term experience with third party UPS replacement batteries? The battery set on my APC RS1500LCD needs replacing. The APC batteries are ~$75, while third party OEM batteries are around $30. I've already seen that some of the OEM batteries are only 7.2 A/H instead of 9.0, but there are plenty of 9.0 A/H sets in the $30 range. I've bought APC replacement batteries for some smaller UPS units in the past, but the premium for the brand wasn't quite as high as they are for this larger UPS unit.

All the reviews I've read seem to only cover a few months of use. I'm interested in how well they do compared to the APC batteries in years versus months. Has anyone used these and had them last 3+ years?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: UPS Replacement Batteries?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 03:24:39 PM »
We usually go to Fedco (http://www.fedcoelectronics.com/) for replacement batteries.  Ne real problems with them lasting.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »
Lots of experience at batteries plus.  Nothing but good experience with them.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »

Same here. Probably 30 - 40 batteries a year. Higher AH in the AGM than in the standard lead acid.

And, if they have a storefront nearby you don't pay shipping.
 My local Batteries Plus will replace your batteries, dispose of the old (Hazmat) & only charge for the batteries.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
I've had just as much luck with 3rd party batteries as I have APC.

Something fun to do if you have some old APC batteries sitting around. Take the APC label off. Underneath each one you'll likely find another sticker from the actual manufacturer. I did this with 4 deceased APC batteries at work, and found 4 different Chinese brands of battery.

In other words, APC's just buying the cheapest ones from China they can find, so you might as well do the same and cut out the middleman markup.  ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
I've had just as much luck with 3rd party batteries as I have APC.

Something fun to do if you have some old APC batteries sitting around. Take the APC label off. Underneath each one you'll likely find another sticker from the actual manufacturer. I did this with 4 deceased APC batteries at work, and found 4 different Chinese brands of battery.

In other words, APC's just buying the cheapest ones from China they can find, so you might as well do the same and cut out the middleman markup.  ;)

Yup.  That's how I figured out to go to batts plus in the first place. :lol:

Springfield Armory does the same thing with CMI mags for their M14 pattern rifles.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »
Thanks all, will give the OEMs a go.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »
Last time we needed a UPS battery, the prices on the new units had come down so much it was cheaper to just buy a new one.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »
Last time we needed a UPS battery, the prices on the new units had come down so much it was cheaper to just buy a new one.

For the low end desktop units yes.  Still quite worth replacing batteries in slightly higher end stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:24:37 PM »
Been using batteries from BatteriesPlus for several years now without problems.  We've got umpteen fortyleven of them around the DC in UPS units and fire system remote power supplies.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 09:50:41 PM »

Just don't get their "Werk" batteries.  I have several personal UPSs and I'm an IT engineer so I've been responsible for everything from 1kva units to 3000 kva gensets.  The "Werk" batteries are not very good.  I just had a set last just over a year.

Russ

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 12:30:21 AM »
I've used deer feeder batteries from a local hardware store in 4 smaller APC units.  Still ticking after 2 years...