Author Topic: Pentagon Regrowing Soldiers’ Muscles From Pig Cells  (Read 2158 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Pentagon Regrowing Soldiers’ Muscles From Pig Cells
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/regenerative-medicine-muscles/

Outstanding!

A few pig cells, a single surgery and a rigorous daily workout: They’re the three ingredients that patients will need to re-grow fresh, functional slabs of their own muscle, courtesy of Pentagon-backed science that’s already being used to rebuild parts of people.

The research team behind the project, based out of the University of Pittsburgh, has made remarkably swift progress: Mere months after starting their first-ever clinical trial, they’ve already operated on four soldiers and are now training groups of surgeons from across the country in perfecting the approach. If progress continues at this pace, the trial will wrap in 24 months and the technique will become “a standard of care for orthopedists and trauma surgeons,” according to Dr. Stephen Badylak, head of the initiative.

...Marine Corporal Isaias Hernandez, a U.S. soldier who served as Badylak’s veritable guinea pig in 2008, after he returned from deployment missing 70 percent of his right quadriceps, the procedure is no doubt poised to transform medicine.

“I’ve been losing weight and playing sports,” Hernandez said earlier this year, adding that he expected to re-enlist and deploy again. “It feels pretty good.”

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Pentagon Regrowing Soldiers’ Muscles From Pig Cells
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
Cool, now I could have bacon at all times. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »
Does this only apply as regenerative medicine? Or can we use this as elective medicine for making people stronger than they'd naturally be? Or some really cool body mods?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
Cool, now I could have be bacon at all times. :laugh:

FTFY.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:29:38 PM »
Does this only apply as regenerative medicine? Or can we use this as elective medicine for making people stronger than they'd naturally be? Or some really cool body mods?
I was going to ask the same thing myself.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »
When I was 18 months old I received 2nd and 3rd degree burns on a significant portion of my body from a pot of soup which i pulled off the stove onto myself.  Some of my skin was replaced with skin from a pig.  This sounds much cooler though.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
More government pork!

Seriously, I was born without my right breast muscle.  It's either this or a breast implant. :O
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
The Islamic extremists better watch out....if they thought the Buffalo Soldiers were tough....wait until they have to face the Pork Patrol.....  :cool:  [ar15]  [ar15]  [ar15]  [ar15]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.