Author Topic: Fifi Makes a Trip  (Read 4820 times)

Unisaw

• friend
Fifi Makes a Trip
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
Here's a great documentary video of Fifi making the trip to Oshkosh.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1143348987001

I can't believe the control inputs that are required.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

grampster

• friend
Re: Fifi Makes a Trip
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »
Kinda nice just sitting here watching that with a big grin on my face.  Cooool.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

robear

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »
Kinda nice just sitting here watching that with a big grin on my face.  Cooool.

My thoughts exactly.  Great video.  Thanks.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:58:43 AM »
The control excursions are massive.  As explained in the video, it is the result of built-in mechanical advantage because the controls on the 50 ton aircraft are not boosted in any way.  Phew!  I wonder which engines Fifi uses.  It was said the more B-29s were lost to engine fires than to enemy fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-29

Also linked from the same page is a video about the Seafire Mk. 15, the Fleet Air Arm version of the the Spitfire, possibly the most beautiful aircraft ever.  It is sad that Reginald Mitchell, the designer of the Spitfire, never knew of it's sucess; he died during the testing of K5054, the prototype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spitfire

Russ

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »
Entirely too cool.  Tears in my eyes cool.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »
The mechanic in my home town spent a chunk of his air force service working on 29s, and later 36s.  His "elaborations" on what it took to keep one in the air are... colorful.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 06:44:06 PM »
Seeing the four P-51s on the wing made it for me.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
@2:04:

Did they use a B29 cockpit as part of the Millennium Falcon cockpit set?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
From EAA's Sport Aviation august 2011: They use a  Curtiss-Wright R-3350-95W engine with the R-3350-26WD (from the Douglas Skyraider) blower along with a few other parts. The 28 cylinder engines cost $150,000 each. They are expecting about 2000 between overhauls instead of the few hundred hours between failures that the previous engines gave. The new engines are carbureted, run cooler, and produce about 1,000 more hp than the previous engines.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
From EAA's Sport Aviation august 2011: They use a  Curtiss-Wright R-3350-95W engine with the R-3350-26WD (from the Douglas Skyraider) blower along with a few other parts. The 28 cylinder engines cost $150,000 each. They are expecting about 2000 between overhauls instead of the few hundred hours between failures that the previous engines gave. The new engines are carbureted, run cooler, and produce about 1,000 more hp than the previous engines.

Especially significant because the first gen R-3350s were very troublesome and one of the major bugaboos of the B29 program. The prototype was lost due to an engine fire that burned through the main spar.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
The Wright R3350 radial engine had 18 cylinders.  The P&W R3360 had 28 cylinders.  The B29 had 3350s and the B50 had 3360s..............chris3

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »
Saw the vertical stabilizer of a B50 lying out in the desert in the Foxtrot area of Stumps when I was stationed there in '77.  There were no other parts around.  I have often wondered what the story was.  Some research on the web hasn't turned up anything.
(For the uninitiated, 'Stumps' is is Marine Corps Base Twentynine Palms in Marine-speak.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Perhaps all that was left of a range target? As I understand it Fi-Fi was salvaged out from a Navy bombing range.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
Perhaps all that was left of a range target? As I understand it Fi-Fi was salvaged out from a Navy bombing range.

There were no other remains out there, of the B50 or anything else that might have been used for range targets.  It wasn't a live fire area as I remember, no dud ordinance laying around. Puzzling, it was.