Author Topic: What the heck? The gov is taking land from the owners for 9/11 memorial?  (Read 4896 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090507/ap_on_re_us/us_flight93_memorial

PITTSBURGH – The government will begin taking land from seven property owners so that the Flight 93 memorial can be built in time for the 10th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks, the National Park Service said.

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press, the park service said it had teamed up with a group representing the victims' families to work with landowners since before 2005 to acquire the land.

"But with few exceptions, these negotiations have been unsuccessful," said the statement.

Landowners dispute that negotiations have taken place and say they are disappointed at the turn of events.

The seven property owners own about 500 acres still needed for what will ultimately be a $58 million, 2,200-acre permanent memorial and national park at the crash site near Shanksville, about 60 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

"We always prefer to get that land from a willing seller. And sometimes you can just not come to an agreement on certain things," park service spokesman Phil Sheridan said.

Two owners account for about 420 acres the park service plans to condemn, including Svonavec Inc. — which owns 275 acres, including the impact site where 40 passengers and crew died. About 150 acres are owned by a family that operates a scrap yard.

Most of rest of the land to be condemned are small parcels, two of which include cabins.

Tony Kordell said the park service visited him late Friday afternoon and made him an offer for his 150 acres. He declined to give the price, but said his attorney requested the appraisal used to determine the value on Monday.

He's not gotten that appraisal, he said Thursday. On Wednesday, he was told the park service would condemn the land.

The property Kordell owns includes the scrap yard, which must be relocated and he said cost to move the business also hasn't been determined. The property includes where the visitor center, parking lot and park walkways will be placed, he said.

"We've been working with (the park service) all along. We've given them rights to come on the property" to do planning, he said.

"All it's going to do is cost a huge amount of money for attorneys," he said.

Randall Musser owns about 62 acres that the park service wants to acquire.

"They apologized about the way it's come together, but what's sad is they had all these years to put this together and they haven't," he said.

Musser served on the committee that helped establish the park's boundaries and said landowners were promised in 2002 that eminent domain would not be used.

"It's absolutely a surprise. I'm shocked by it. I'm disappointed by it," said Tim Lambert, who owns nearly 164 acres that his grandfather bought in the 1930s. The park service plans to condemn two parcels totaling about five acres — land, he said, he had always intended to donate for the memorial.

"To the best of my knowledge and my lawyer, absolutely no negotiations have taken place with the park service where we've sat down and discussed this," Lambert said.

This isn't exactly breaking news, but this is going a lot differently than it was made to sound back when this idea started floating around.  :|

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Here's a question. Why do they need 2200 ACRES for a memorial?

There's only 500 left to go (apparently) can't they just settle on a 1700 ACRE memorial?

Oh that right, so long as they CAN do it, they will. Property rights be damned.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
I confess, if I got notice the Park Service was doing this to my land, especially if, as the owners say, there was no attempt to just buy it, I would start very quietly researching what could be done to ensure NOTHING ever grew there again.  Salt the earth and all that.  Just out of sheer contrayness.

I also can't help but think that getting the land this way will leave a kind of perminant pall over the completed memorial.  I know if I were to visit it, I would be distracted from the memorial by wondering which parts were taken at gunpoint.

Rudy Kohn

My first reaction was, "I didn't know you could condemn land.  That seems like a novel way to exercise eminent domain."

Next:
"We always prefer to get that land from a willing seller. And sometimes you can just not come to an agreement on certain things," park service spokesman Phil Sheridan said.
"...so then we just force them to agree."

I dunno, is it too obvious at this point to make an Atlas Shrugged reference?  I feel like they've become cliché by this point.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I confess, if I got notice the Park Service was doing this to my land, especially if, as the owners say, there was no attempt to just buy it, I would start very quietly researching what could be done to ensure NOTHING ever grew there again.  Salt the earth and all that.  Just out of sheer contrayness.

I also can't help but think that getting the land this way will leave a kind of perminant pall over the completed memorial.  I know if I were to visit it, I would be distracted from the memorial by wondering which parts were taken at gunpoint.

A mix of dioxin, mercury, and desiel is a good start. Maybe arrange for a couple tons of used car tires to be dumped in the dark of night too.

Anyone tried to do that to me, especially like the guy in the recent scotus case, for another commercial private concern with deeper pockets, they'd wind up with the newest Superfund site for their trouble.
I promise not to duck.

Seenterman

• friend
Great! Rob peoples land to build a ridiculously over sized memorial in PA, while in New York we still have a giant gaping hole in the ground. Glad to see their priorities are strait. Seriously WTF do you need a 2200 acre memorial for? I know it was tragic, but wouldn't a 500 acre memorial be appropriate too? Hell a 100 acre memorial would be fine! Funny thing to note is that the posters over at the DU have pretty much the same attitudes as we do here. Maybe we aren't all that different after all!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=3865787&mesg_id=3865787

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
the jet augured in not far from my wife's home town in B-F-egypt PA
There is nothing there and really no simple way to get there from an interstate/turnpike

They prolly need to buy the acreage to own the roadway out to Route 30

http://www.nps.gov/flni

map:
http://tinyurl.com/dy52uc

enjoy the scenic fuel tank welding factory and be sure to visit the beautiful Stoystown Auto wrecking yard
Thank you for visiting Murtha country (we like your tax dollars)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
A mix of dioxin, mercury, and desiel is a good start. Maybe arrange for a couple tons of used car tires to be dumped in the dark of night too.

Anyone tried to do that to me, especially like the guy in the recent scotus case, for another commercial private concern with deeper pockets, they'd wind up with the newest Superfund site for their trouble.

its better to just hire a good lawyer  like the guy who owns parsons farms on rt 234 in pw va did.  the gov ended up paying something like 3 mill plus legal fees for land they took and gave him 250 k for
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.

its better to just hire a good lawyer  like the guy who owns parsons farms on rt 234 in pw va did.  the gov ended up paying something like 3 mill plus legal fees for land they took and gave him 250 k for

Not quite, the government prints the money, and/or just collects it from the tax payer. fed.gov does not feel the "pain" if they are forced into excessive litigation, IMO. Also, a litigation strategy assumes I can locate pro-bono legal expertise from someone sympathetic.

So "scorched earth" with a financial component is best if you want to stick it to them.
I promise not to duck.

drewtam

• friend
Have you guys seen the pictures for the monument they want to build?

http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/flight_93/ss/memorial_photos.htm

Its an awful modern design more ugly than you can imagine. Not only is it plain ugly, its so abstract it has no meaning, no reminder of Flight 93 and their fight for survival.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Just FYI - 1700 acres is 2.66 square miles.

Also, that's farming country.  Depending on the crop, farm land can generate anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars per acre per year.  As part of the condemnation the gov will reimburse the owner for the currant land value, but they won't pay diddly for the lost production over what would have been the remaining life of the land.  That could easliy run into the tens of millions.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 06:48:46 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I Want Monuments to Victories
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »
Personally, I want no more monuments to atrocities, like the Twin Towers Gaping Hole.

I want monuments to victories.  

Flight 93 qualifies as a draw, at best.  

But, if they want to get the spirit of the deal, maybe have a 50' tall drink cart being pushed by a 100' tall Todd Beamer crushing a Saudi up into the stewardess'  alcove while another 100' passenger grapples the 100' Saudi piloting the airliner, gouging his eyes out in preparation to skull-**** the evil scumbag to death.

Enough of the abstract "Oh, what a tragedy" memorials to atrocity.

Especialy of the kind that are crypto-islamic symbols:

Muslim crescent moon:

Aerial view of future memorial:

(This is toned down from the original design which was even more flagrant.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The previous design:

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Iain

• friend
You can draw a line between any two points on the globe. Must need a new prescription anyway. Or more tinfoil.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
the only farming the do out there is scrape the top and harvest the coal
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
the only farming the do out there is scrape the top and harvest the coal

Okay, the value of the coal, then.  Five bucks says that the owners will not be able to claim it because it's not "currently in production", nor will they be allowed to survey the property for any mineral value.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
2200 acres goes so far beyond bizarre that "obscene" probably doesn't begin to cover it.

A number of years ago I was involved in helping a friend plan the subdivision of her family's small farm. It was only 72 acres. It's pretty amazing just how large 72 acres is. 500 acres would be
PLENTY of land on which to build a memorial and info center to commemorate what is, basically, a hole in the ground where an aircraft augered in.

An acre is 43,560 square feet. If it's perfectly square, it's approximately 208 feet on each side.

2200 acres 95,832,000 square feet, which if perfectly square comes out to 9,789 feet per side. That's almost 2 MILES square.

Ridiculous. Insulting. Obscene.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:04:05 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
640 acres per square mile.
2200/640=3.4375 square miles.

I've rescued this thread from hijack.
It's been my pleasure.
Build me no memorials.

7-11 was a part time job.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
2200 acres is a huge area. I work on for the NPS on a site that encompasses about a thousand acres. And that's huge...the historically significant area only occupies about a third of that land. The rest is woodland and such.

This needs to be no more than a memorial on a 5 acre site (if that large), probably not even need for a staff on site to maintain it. A parking lot and a memorial with some interpretive signs, and a list of the passengers on the flight.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
watch the video
http://www.nps.gov/flni/photosmultimedia/upload/flight_93_mac.mov
there are coal scrapers on the horizons
they are grabbing a large area so the view is pristine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
watch the video
they are grabbing a large area so the view is pristine

I got another idea.

Plant some trees.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
or just leave it the hell alone and let property owners alone
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MicroBalrog

• friend
watch the video
fhey are grabbing a large area so the view is pristine

That makes it okay, then.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
How do expect John Murtha to get re-elected if he can't bring a multimillion dollar boondoggle into this blighted corner of PA?

tokugawa

• friend
Funny how  heroic individual action is to commemorated by trampling on individual rights.