Author Topic: What the heck is wrong with my computer?  (Read 1189 times)

Antibubba

• friend
What the heck is wrong with my computer?
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
The last few weeks have been an exercise in frustration.  My laptop is acting up, and replacing it isn't an option.  Here is a rundown:
Dell Latitude 610, 1Gb RAM, running Windows XP Professional (32-bit)

• I've always had to use the touchpad or the "up" arrow to move up and down the screen.  Now I randomly get the "up/down arrow in a circle" icon that moves the screen faster as you move away from it, which I haven't had since I got it in 2008. In addition, the cursor will "grab" page edges, open links, and freeze up, all randomly.  Also, highlighting text to copy is hit or miss.
  • It is a chore to open or switch to a different tab or window; usually I have to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to do so, then frequently close out the series of them that I opened.  In particular, closing out PDFs is very difficult.
  • Occasionally the cursor moves on its own, as if I had a bad mouse (I don't, just the touchpad and blue button).
  • Sometimes, no matter what I do, I can't access a button.  For example, I figured I'd have to wipe the HD, so I bought a USB stick to put it on.  The stick comes with software that needs to be installed before I can do anything else, and before I can install it I have to press the button stating I understand the EULA.  I cannot click that button, so the stick is essentially useless.
I've gotten a few possible answers.  First is that I have a bad hard drive; while possible, I would expect it to notify me when I do a defrag or run "Speccy".  The other is that I've picked up some sort of virus, which seems more likely.  I have the free version of AVG, which has turned up nothing.  The larger program offers other services for the dollars, but apparently no more virus protection.

I am out of work, so trying various (expensive) solutions is not an option.  I know I need to add more memory; 1 Gb DDR2 is pretty cheap, so that'll happen soon, unless this problem is unfixable.  Any ideas?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: What the heck is wrong with my computer?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
Clean the Fan.... Being unemployed you have lots of time on your hands....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpCJzdWxEbQ
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »
If I could only hear what they're saying!

Did I fail to mention I can't hear anything on the computer either?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 07:05:09 PM »
Dump AVG.

Download Avast! anti-virus, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes. Scan with all three -- each will find nasties the others miss. Among the three, you have a pretty good chance of finding anything that's lurking.

Then use Avast! as your virus protection.

If you still have your Windoze CD, reinstall.

I don't remember for sure, but I think the Microsoft web site may offer some utilities for checking the integrity of your Windows install.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »
I already have Malwarebytes--it didn't find anything.  I'll try the other two.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »
    I've always had to use the touchpad or the "up" arrow to move up and down the screen.  Now I randomly get the "up/down arrow in a circle" icon that moves the screen faster as you move away from it, which I haven't had since I got it in 2008. In addition, the cursor will "grab" page edges, open links, and freeze up, all randomly.  Also, highlighting text to copy is hit or miss.

Does it work OK with a mouse (ie. only flakey with the touchpad)?

It is a chore to open or switch to a different tab or window; usually I have to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to do so, then frequently close out the series of them that I opened.  In particular, closing out PDFs is very difficult.

Get MS' process explorer utility (free).  Take a gander into what processes are running.

Add memory, if practical.  If it takes DDR2, that's relatively inexpensive, or I can probably dig up a 1GB stick-let.  (Yup, takes DDR2).  1GB is, practically, the least you want to run XP with, anymore.

Sometimes, no matter what I do, I can't access a button.  For example, I figured I'd have to wipe the HD, so I bought a USB stick to put it on.  The stick comes with software that needs to be installed before I can do anything else, and before I can install it I have to press the button stating I understand the EULA.  I cannot click that button, so the stick is essentially useless.

You should not have to install that software to use a USB stick.  It'll show up as a drive in Windows Explorer, or My Computer.

I've gotten a few possible answers.  First is that I have a bad hard drive; while possible, I would expect it to notify me when I do a defrag or run "Speccy".  The other is that I've picked up some sort of virus, which seems more likely.  I have the free version of AVG, which has turned up nothing.  The larger program offers other services for the dollars, but apparently no more virus protection.

OK, let's see.  Ultimate Boot CD.  Download the iso, burn it out to CD (or use unetbootin to make a bootable usb stick using that same iso.)  Boot it, run a RAM diagnostic from the main menu.  Boot it again, run a hard disk diagnostic, either Seagate Seatools, or whatever manufacture's diagnostic is appropriate.  My gut feeling is it isn't a RAM problem, as systems with bad ram are usually very flakey.

If those both pass, download the AVG rescue cd iso.  Burn to CD or make bootable usb stick.  Boot off it, update off the Interwebz, and use it to do a virus scan.

If it comes through all that clean, ask, and I'll come up with something else to try.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
Does it work OK with a mouse (ie. only flakey with the touchpad)?

Flakey touchpad gets my vote. Try a mouse.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

40 caliber

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
  • friend
    • Will to Exist
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 01:05:40 AM »
Flakey touchpad gets my vote. Try a mouse.

If it is a flakey touchpad, you can probably replace it yourself with a few tools. Download the manual and see. I've done a few of them, and it's usually only about a two hour job. The touchpad will probably run you $80-120 for the part though.
It's collapsing all around you.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 01:46:46 AM »
I downloaded "avast", but I can't load it.

I'll try the other suggestions too.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »
One of these days I'm going to pay for the upgrade, and it'll be "avast".  I got it to load, got it to run.  The "pre-boot" scan is awesomeness squared.  90% of the issues are resolved. I'm still going to add memory and such.

Thank you all.