Author Topic: What the heck is happening here in TX  (Read 3143 times)

client32

• friend
What the heck is happening here in TX
« on: February 07, 2007, 04:07:39 AM »
I don't get it:

Texas Gov. Perry Signs Executive Order Mandating Girls Entering Sixth Grade Receive HPV Vaccine

I don't really know enough about this drug, or how long it has been around.  I don't know its side effects and I am betting the drug company doesn't either.  How many time have we seen drugs pulled from shelves for doing something unexpected.  Now it is being mandated. 

Then we have the State of the State.

Apparently we need to give free health care away and pay for by selling off what a lot of people think hasn't worked as advertised, the lottery.

Pretty soon there will be a law to ban spanking kids here.  And always thought that we would stay away from California styled idiot laws here.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: What the heck is happening here in TX
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:20:03 AM »
Ah, he recieved campaign contributions from Merck. That explains it all.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

client32

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:21:17 AM »
That is my wife's explanation.  Sadly, it would explain it.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 04:23:52 AM »
Yeah, I wondered about that too. People were only asking for the vaccine to be made available IF people wanted it, with perhaps education to encourage it.

But MANDATING it got a colossal "huh?!"...and made me immediately suspect that one of the Big Pharmas was putting bills in his pocket.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:06:56 AM »
A giant pharm company using politics to increase their earning?  Who do they think they are, Eli Lilly? grin

It's all about the bling-bling.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 06:13:54 AM »
I don't get it:

Texas Gov. Perry Signs Executive Order Mandating Girls Entering Sixth Grade Receive HPV Vaccine

I don't really know enough about this drug, or how long it has been around.  I don't know its side effects and I am betting the drug company doesn't either.  How many time have we seen drugs pulled from shelves for doing something unexpected.  Now it is being mandated. 

Then we have the State of the State.

The drug passed by FDA standards, which take years and lots of clinical trials.  The usual criticism is that the process doesnt move fast enough.\
How many drugs do we see pulled?  Very very few.  Vioxx got pulled really for not very good reasons, and now I see an article where orthopedic surgeons want it back.
I can assure you that Merck is not making much money on the deal, especially compared to the liability they are exposing themselves to.  Why Perry wants to mandate something like this is beyond me, and I would be opposed to it here.  But it isnt some deep conspiracy so save your tin foil.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 06:16:15 AM »
Still, jumping from being asked "We would like the freedom to..." to "you MUST" makes even non-tinfoil people suspicious.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 06:31:26 AM »
How is this any different than mandating other medical treatments for children?

Once you decide it is Ok in any case, there is no limit to the power giovernment will usurp.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 06:33:55 AM »
What really puzzles this Texan is that everyone seems to believe that Perry's "executive order" can be enforced. I mean, we have bicameral legislature in Texas - bills have to be passed by both the House and Senate before being passed on to the Governor - they become law AFTER he signs them.

Since when do governors MAKE law? If he says "FROG" is everyone supposed to jump?

If I had a young daughter, it's my wife and I that would decide on the immunization - the rants of a lone  politician, well, we'd ignore them.

As for selling off the lottery . . . last year, it put well over a billion dollars into state coffers. (Not that it was spent wisely . . . ) But selling it to private interests for a $14,000,000,000 ONE TIME windfall makes no sense.

Need I say that most of the money would be wasted in short order? Giving politicians large amounts of money is like giving car keys and beer to teenage boys - nothing good will come of it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:38:01 AM »
Still, jumping from being asked "We would like the freedom to..." to "you MUST" makes even non-tinfoil people suspicious.

I didnt say it was good public policy.  It isn't.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:51:18 AM »
How is this any different than mandating other medical treatments for children?

That's why I hope it's shot down in the courts quickly. Imagine if this applied to, say, Ritalin?

Can't have "hyperactive" children being creative or questioning authority, after all. And we all know, any child who expresses an interest in guns or playing "war" in the backyard is a Problem Child, and needs Treatment.  rolleyes  (Yes, that's been said by some moonbat sorts!)

client32

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 06:56:35 AM »

The drug passed by FDA standards, which take years and lots of clinical trials.  The usual criticism is that the process doesnt move fast enough.\
How many drugs do we see pulled?  Very very few.  Vioxx got pulled really for not very good reasons, and now I see an article where orthopedic surgeons want it back.
I can assure you that Merck is not making much money on the deal, especially compared to the liability they are exposing themselves to.  Why Perry wants to mandate something like this is beyond me, and I would be opposed to it here.  But it isnt some deep conspiracy so save your tin foil.

I didn't intend on coming off as a tin foil user.  And I doubt it is a conspiracy.  But the fact remains that we don't know if there is going to be an effect crop up after these all these 11 year old girls get the shot when they turn 21 or 26 or 31 or so on.  I didn't like the reason Vioxx got pulled, but the issue still remains that there was an unknown complication from using it.  (I think it would have better been dealt with by Dr.s not prescribing it to people at risk.  I'm a younger person and used it after messing up my ankle.  It is good stuff.)

Bottom line is that making it mandatory is what I really disagree with.  Our local news frames the debate as a moral or religious issue.  That if you give your kid this shot, they will be encourage to go and have sex.  I don't like the argument, but I should have the right to say what my kid is and isn't given.

As too the mandate and executive order, he is able to this only through the public school system.  Your daughter will only have to have the shot if she is going to public school.  It is my understanding that since he wrote the order to only be applied to the public school health care stuff, it doesn't have to go through the legislative process.  If all that is true, it might be a problem that Texas needs to deal with.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 07:51:45 AM »

Ah, he recieved campaign contributions from Merck. That explains it all.

AFAIK Merk contributed to everybody.  Covering all the bases, you might say.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:01:19 AM »
And it's good to see they're getting real value for what they bought and paid for, by gosh!  rolleyes
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 09:26:40 AM »
And it's good to see they're getting real value for what they bought and paid for, by gosh!  rolleyes

That's called influencing the system.  I don't see any problem with it.

Robert Sears

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 09:32:14 AM »
Slow down people this is not a manatory shot. Like all vacinaton parents will be able to opt out on relious or philosical(sp) grounds. By making it  a required shot public health fund become available for low income families that might want the shot but can't  afforf them. Any new meddication has risks involved and sometime  problem don't show up until 100K's of people have used the drug, just a fact of life in most cases. Selling the Lottry is just plain stupid.

Bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 09:34:40 AM »
True, but it should be an opt-in, not an opt-out.  There's a difference.  And it shouldn't be brought about by executive order. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
HPV is probably one of the most pervasive virus's out there...annoying for men
possibly deadly for women.
I don't agree with mandates though...I like womandates.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 11:08:26 AM »
The justification for mandated whooping cough, measles, mumps, polio, chicken pox and other vaccines is that in the course of normal school interaction they can be transmitted, thus we vaccinate everyone so one Typhoid Toddler can't kill his whole class.

Since HPV is not normally spread by typical public school contact there is not even that much public health justification for mandating it in children.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 11:17:14 AM »
HPV is not normally spread by typical public school contact

Carebear, you may be wrong there.

http://nymag.com/news/features/15589/index.html

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 11:32:15 AM »
Sixty million dollars.  And only "girls and women ages nine to 21 who are eligible for public assistance will be able to receive no-cost Gardasil."  The article quotes the vaccine costing $360, but a friend of mine who has made some bad choices on where to spend his nights had it done a few months ago, and the cost was almost $600--and insurance didn't pick up a dime.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 11:56:39 AM »

Since HPV is not normally spread by typical public school contact there is not even that much public health justification for mandating it in children.

As a recent public high school graduate, I can safely say that you are one hundred percent wrong.

Sorry.

Times are very, very different.

And thats why safety is a better bet than talking at kids about abstinence.

If I had a daughter she'd have the HPV vaccine as soon as she was old enough to safely recieve it. And she'd know how to protect herself, in terms of decision making, self defense, and latex barriers/contaceptives.

Not recognizing that people need protection is silly. "Nobody has sex that young!" ... "Nobody gets mugged right in front of their house!" etcetera.

But MANDATORY protection? in TEXAS? That's some straight up nanny-state BS. What's this guy's angle?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »
Winston, you completely missed carebear's point.  You are 100% wrong.  Sorry.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 04:46:06 PM »
Winston,

Sexual contact in school is not "typical public school contact", it is behavior that violates school regulations and thus is not something that needs public funding to mitigate, anymore than we need to be providing condoms or birth control.  It has nothing to do with education.

The Governor is talking about requiring the vaccine for kids entering grade school, K-6, thus "typical public school contact" is normal roughhouse play, shared toys and facilities and coughing/breathing issues.

Barring inappropriate contact and assuming the teachers are doing their jobs in the classroom, HPV transmission should be a non-issue in schools.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 08:25:45 PM »
Haha yeah you're right. That's what I get for posting like five minutes after I wake up.

Yeah, that's my excuse.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?