Author Topic: New York's maple syrup mystery smell solved  (Read 5800 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
New York's maple syrup mystery smell solved
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A mysterious, maple syrup-like odour that has periodically wafted over New York City since October 2005 has been linked to New Jersey fragrance processing plants, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Thursday.

Fragrance and food additive factories in nearby New Jersey where fenugreek seeds are processed are the "probable source" of the odour, Bloomberg told a news conference at City Hall.

The odour has attracted media attention and hundreds of complaints from city residents.

"Given the evidence, I think it's safe to say that the 'Great Maple Syrup Mystery' has finally been solved," Bloomberg said.

The city had assured residents that the odour was not harmful, but it was not able to explain its source until now.

The mystery was solved after city agencies matched complaints by their geographic location against information about winds and atmospheric conditions.

"The health department confirmed that the odour does not pose a health risk, but I am pleased to know that our ... smelling sleuths got to the bottom of this mystery," Bloomberg said.

>>>>>>>

New Jersey, we smell like waffles
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: New York's maple syrup mystery smell solved
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »
New Jersey, we smell like waffles

If that's what your waffles smell like, you're doing it wrong.

Chris

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »
If that's what your waffles smell like, you're doing it wrong.

Chris

=D

mmmm waffles.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
So they didn't know what was causing it but were willing to say it wasn't harmful? Why am I not surprised?
Look, tiny text!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »
I could have told them for the last 3 years where that smell was coming from. I've been by that place a few times.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
New Jersey does not smell like waffles.

Trust me.  =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:30:06 PM »
from GW bridge, drive the "jersey turnpike" west, you'll pray for a waffle smell.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:32:24 PM »

"Given the evidence, I think it's safe to say that the 'Great Maple Syrup Mystery' has finally been solved," Bloomberg said.

"The health department confirmed that the odour does not pose a health risk, but I am pleased to know that our ... smelling sleuths got to the bottom of this mystery," Bloomberg said.

Finally.....Bloomberg has something he has successfully accomplished.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:33:44 PM »
How is that people voluntarily live in Jersey? =D

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »
ah, the lovely smell of fenugreek.  For a while I was ingesting enough of the stuff that I smelled like maple syrup.  I got a lot of strange looks.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:37:22 PM »
It was a joke, I was laughing the whole time I was writing it.  Ok, I guess it was dumb.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:34:05 AM by scanr »
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »
Can you tell I don't care for new york?

So, how do you feel about New Jersey?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »
The only problem with new jersey is that it is populated with new york wannabes.

Gemoriah.com

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:09:14 PM »
Ok, it's gone from a question regarding the source of an odd smell to basically pissing on people from New York and New Jersey.

Never mind the fact that I can guarantee we have members here at APS from those states.

We're more than aware of the political leanings of states with less-than-friendly gun laws.

I myself escaped from the west coast after living there 10 years, and that was 9 years and a few months too long.

However, let's not be using such broad brush strokes in describing the residents of those locations.

That stinks of something entirely different, and the term "thread poop" is an understatement.  =|

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 11:12:08 PM »

However, let's not be using such broad brush strokes in describing the residents of those locations.

Even if they all talk funny?.......

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »
They can talk funny.

They can smell funny.

They can dress funny.

But I'm not going to sit here and watch somebody fling poo at the residents of states without calling the poo-flinger out on it.

I left Kalifornia in August of 1999, and the majority of my firearm collection is now illegal there.  I got out just in the nick of time. 

However, I left many good gun-owning friends there, and they either went underground with their toys, or redistributed them east of the Cal/Nevada line.  It was the best they could do with the situation presented to them. These were Friends of the NRA contributors, CCRKBA members, etc. They didn't just take all the stuff flowing downhill from Sacramento sitting down.  They fought, and unfortunately, they lost.  It happens.

It doesn't mean they're not on our side, or that they're less deserving of respect simply because they still live there.

Same goes for New York and New Jersey.  I've got many friends from the state of New York who will tell you right now that they want nothing to do with the politics that emanate from New York City.  To lump them into the mess is disingenuous at best, and somewhat ignorant to boot.   

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »
The rhombic yellow to amber colored fenugreek seed, commonly called maithray, is frequently used in the preparation of pickles, curry powders, and pastes, and is often encountered in the cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. The young leaves and sprouts of fenugreek are eaten as greens, and the fresh or dried leaves are used to flavor other dishes. The dried leaves (called kasuri methi) have a bitter taste and a strong characteristic smell.
In India, fenugreek seeds are mixed with yogurt and used as a conditioner for hair. It is one of the three ingredients of idli and dosa (Tamil). It is also one of the ingredients in the making of khakhra, a type of bread. It is used in injera/taita, a type of bread unique to Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine. The word for fenugreek in Amharic is abesh, and the seed is reportedly also often used in Ethiopia as a natural herbal medicine in the treatment of diabetes. It is also sometimes used as an ingredient in the production of clarified butter (Amharic: qibé, Ethiopian and Eritrean Tigrinya: tesme), which is similar to Indian ghee. In Turkey, fenugreek gives its name, çemen, to a hot paste used in pastirma. The same paste is used in Egypt for the same purpose. The Arabic word hulba حلبة (Helba in Egypt) for the seed resembles its Mandarin Chinese counterpart hu lu ba. In Yemen it is the main condiment and an ingredient added to the national dish called saltah. Fenugreek, or shambalîleh شنبليله in Persian, is also one of four herbs used for the Iranian recipe Ghormeh Sabzi.
In Egypt, fenugreek seeds are prepared as tea, by being boiled then sweetened. This is a popular winter drink served in coffee shops. In other parts of the Middle East fenugreek is used in a variety of sweet confections. A cake dessert known as Helba in the Islamic world is a tasty treat during Islamic holidays. This is a semolina cake covered in sugar or maple-like syrup, and sprinkled with fenugreek seeds on top.
Jews customarily eat fenugreek during the meal of the first and/or second night of Rosh Hashana (The New Year). It is green and is similar to the verb ירבו (to increase) in Hebrew, which symbolically signifies a prayer that their merits will increase. Yemenite Jews often prepare a foamy substance from fenugreek seeds that they add to soups.
In the United States, where maple syrup is popular but expensive, fenugreek is widely used in lower-cost syrup products as a maple syrup flavoring.
Fenugreek seeds are a galactagogue that is often used to increase milk supply in lactating women.[3] Because the maple syrup-like flavor is strong and not always liked, the seeds are ground to a powder and administered in capsules. Many lactating women who take fenugreek in the quantities required to increase their milk supply notice that their skin exudes a distinct "maple syrup" odor.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
I am sorry it wasn't seen as funny. 

I will not make fun of california or new york any more.

Gemoriah.com

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 12:44:11 AM »
Last time I was in New York it just smelled like ass.

Whole place had a vague sewage smell to it. Not nearly as bad as Paris, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 03:27:41 AM »

I know! !!! I'm a native "nuyawka" and I would go camping once in awhile and stay out in the woods long enough for my olfactory sense returned, yet somehow the jersey turnpike was worse!

Those factories can't be healthy.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 09:13:41 AM »

Was it in summer? It's worse in summer.

Woody Allen wrote that in summer in New York, the only way to get a breath of fresh air is to stick your head in a building.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »
October, I think. After Labor Day.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »
Ever read "The Great Gatsby"?

Remember the valley of the ashes?

About half way between West Egg and New York the motor road hastily joins the railroad and runs
beside it for a quarter of a mile, so as to shrink away from a certain desolate area of land.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque
gardens; where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent
effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars
crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak, and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men
swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud, which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
But above the gray land and the spasms of bleak dust which drift endlessly over it, you perceive, after a moment,
the eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg. The eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg are blue and gigantic—their irises are one yard high.
They look out of no face, but, instead, from a pair of enormous yellow spectacles which pass over a nonexistent nose.
Evidently some wild wag of an oculist set them there to fatten his practice in the borough of Queens, and then sank
down himself into eternal blindness, or forgot them and moved away. But his eyes, dimmed a little by many paintless days,
under sun and rain, brood on over the solemn dumping ground.

The valley of ashes is bounded on one side by a small foul river, and, when the drawbridge is up to let barges through,
the passengers on waiting trains can stare at the dismal scene for as long as half an hour. There is always a halt there of at least a minute,
and it was because of this that I first met Tom Buchanan’s mistress.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »
Harold Tuttle: you just know way too much stuff, man......have you memorized the Internet, or what?.....

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 09:33:39 PM »