Author Topic: "Experienced" Backpacker Lost for 3 1/2 weeks  (Read 7296 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"Experienced" Backpacker Lost for 3 1/2 weeks
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
Either there's more to the story, or she wasn't that experienced. She sounds almost like those NW mushroom hunters from a month or so back. Even with zero navigation skills, a GPS would have gotten her back, and minimum navigational skills / awareness should have led her to intersect a road. They mention a history of mental illness. I'm almost wondering if it was a conscious decision on her part?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/09/missing-hiker-found-with-cat-in-new-mexico-forest/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: "Experienced" Backpacker Lost for 3 1/2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
lost 25 pounds and cat still made it?  she really is a cat lover
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »
Who takes a cat backpacking?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
"Her cat was in better shape than she was," said Marc Levesque, New Mexico State Police Search and Rescue incident commander. "Her cat was also hunting. (Page) ran out of food a while back."

Her cat was obviously better prepared than she was! :laugh:  Plus, apparantly the cat had no history of mental problems. [tinfoil]

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Who takes a cat backpacking?

Who goes backpacking with a bag of pretzels for supplies?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »
Who goes backpacking with a bag of pretzels for supplies?

I'm trying to figure out if she was actually "backpacking". The article seems to indicate it was more of a day hike, yet she had a sleeping bag with her.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
Guys, the article stated she had a history of mental problems.  Trying to apply logic is likely to prove a fruitless task; she herself might not know why she did everything she did.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »
Even with zero navigation skills, a GPS would have gotten her back, and minimum navigational skills / awareness should have led her to intersect a road.  

Ya know, this isn't the first time comments such as this have been made, but they don't reflect reality. Such comments are, in fact, a form of intellectual/technological snobbery.

It's easy to say, "A GPS would have gotten her out," but (and I'm sure this will be a shock to some people) not everyone owns a GPS or knows how to use one. I don't own one, I've never felt a need for one, and I wouldn't know how to use one if you handed it to me. It's remotely possible that if I were to head from my east coast home for a week or three of back country hiking in a western state I might buy a GPS and learn how to use it, but to go for a one- or two-mile day hike a few miles from home? Not a chance. I have a compass and I still remember how to use it. (The pointy thing goes east, right?) I also like maps, especially USGS topo maps. I DO know how to use those. But I probably wouldn't take a topo map on a day hike near home, either, unless I was going to unfamiliar territory and planning to go off the established trails.

Many years ago I did get separated from the established trail in a national park. The trail was crossing exposed rock on a mountain, and winter storms had apparently knocked out some of the cairns. Once I got to a point where it was obvious I had lost the trail (and couldn't see the last cairn I had passed, so I couldn't go back), I checked my map, figured where the trail probably should be, and bushwhacked my way uphill until I cut the trail again. So you are correct that some minimal awareness and navigational ability should have gotten her out, but I wonder if she had any awareness at all.

Given where the article says she was found, it sounds like she didn't even make an attempt to hike out -- which probably made it easier to find her since if she had hiked in the wrong direction she had plenty of time to get WAY farther into the wilderness and off the trail.

I agree with te SAR guy, though. Somebody (starting with two forest rangers who saw the vehicle and didn't bother to report it even after it sat there for WEEKS) really dropped the ball on this one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
Well, it sounds like a scenic way to lose 25 pounds.  Maybe I should try it. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 12:25:19 PM »
Ya know, this isn't the first time comments such as this have been made, but they don't reflect reality. Such comments are, in fact, a form of intellectual/technological snobbery.

My point was that even if you don't want to learn how to use a map and compass, you could just get a GPS, and as long as the technology didn't fail you (dead batts, etc.) you could find your way out. If you don't want a GPS, and don't want to learn to read a map, even a cheap compass can maybe get you out if you have the foresight to say, "Hmm, I'm walking out of site of my car (or the road, or whatever) -- maybe I should take a bearing on some distant object so I can reverse my course". Certainly that wouldn't work well in a heavily wooded area, but it's better than walking blindly.

As has been pointed out, much of this may be due to her mental problems. I'm mostly referring to what a semi-prudent person might think to do. But if someone decides they don't want to acquire and learn to use either a GPS, or basic map and compass skills, they kind of get what they have coming. If you don't like technology, take the time to learn map and compass. If you don't want to take the time to learn map and compass, spring for a GPS and spend the 15 minutes it will take you to follow the "quick start guide" in the manual for "go to waypoint". There are choices, both good and bad.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »
Keep in mind that the news media probably completely got facts wrong, too.

We find that the people with the outdoor stickers all over the back of the car bragging about where they've been and what they've supposedly done (it's a mobile "I love me wall") are the ones who often get into trouble and have to be taken out. They get way overconfident and do really, really stupid things.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »
Well, it sounds like a scenic way to lose 25 pounds.  Maybe I should try it. 
This

and

Keep in mind that the news media probably completely got facts wrong, too.

We find that the people with the outdoor stickers all over the back of the car bragging about where they've been and what they've supposedly done (it's a mobile "I love me wall")

This
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »

Another Forest Service agent noticed the car on Feb. 25 but didn't contact state police until 10 days later. Members of the Grant County Search and Rescue and other crews began the search for Page on Tuesday after her family notified state police that Page's car had been found at a campground.

That, and the towing of the vehicle later on.

???

While I know that many "lost hiker" situations do not seem to have a completely logical explanation, this one just seems to have a lot more "hmm" moments that the run of the mill story.

As for everybody who pipes up with "If they just had a GPS/compas&map/some vague idea of where things were around them" - if I had a penny for every time someone said that about someone who misplaced themselves in the wild I'd be obscenely wealthy.  Expecting even "experienced" folks to treat a [supposedly] caual outing as a formal expedition is just never going to be in the cards.  Even Cody Lunden tells stories about when he walked to the 7-11 without his pocket survival kit in his pocket!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »
this one just seems to have a lot more "hmm" moments that the run of the mill story.

we had one case of a woman who faked being lost. She was reported missing and supposedly lost for 8 days. What it was is she (being married) was shacked up with a boyfriend for several days and when she learned there was a huge, active hunt on for her she went to the search area and was "found" by a team. For somebody who was "lost in the woods" for 8 days, she sure was in good shape- clean clothes, freshly bathed, not hungry, etc.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
The Gila N.F. is pretty rough, and water is scarce.

She had water and shelter. Her vehicle was at the trailhead.

Can't find fault with staying put under those conditions. Initially, anyway.

The other elements of the story  ??? and  :O

Excellent lesson in "let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back".
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:37:20 PM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
Cat...the 11th essential. :facepalm:
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 11:57:47 PM »
Excellent lesson in "let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back".

She probably told the cat.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:52 AM »

Way too many people haven't figured this out yet. Much like the people who wander out into the woods and expect their cell phones to save them...in an area with no cell phone coverage.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 12:34:19 AM »
the cat was probably piling tasty mice at her feet and angry she wasn't making a stir fry.
I almost always carry some kind of lighter in case I stray off the beaten path, a fire always attracts attention.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 08:37:18 AM »
Way too many people haven't figured this out yet. Much like the people who wander out into the woods and expect their cell phones to save them...in an area with no cell phone coverage.

Yeah...wife didn't like that  :angel:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

griz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
Even with zero navigation skills, a GPS would have gotten her back, and minimum navigational skills / awareness should have led her to intersect a road.

A GPS is a tool that takes some experience to understand.  I know hunters that have declared them useless because they didn't turn them on until they needed to know where they were, thus they didn't know which direction the truck was in.  Even geocachers, who use the GPS to find a box in the wilderness, have issues finding there way back to their vehicle because they didn't mark it's location.  They can follow their trail back on the screen, but it's not easy.

I agree that a bit of awareness and navagational skill could get her to a road, but skill comes with experience, and maybe her "experience" was staying on the trail. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »
Buddy of mine has several bookshelves full of survival guides, handbooks, how-to books and possibly the best GOOD/GTFH/bugout system ever containerized.  But he actually does not know how to start a fire without first drowning the charcoal with fluid, let alone how to take a sight line when inside the arboreal forest.  He's never actually opened up his bag(s), laid out the gear, and practiced using any of it.

I'm betting that there are tons more folks like him than there are those who have winnowed stuff out of or into their kits based on actually trying to use it somewhere that is not the backyard.  I'm even willing to bet there are more that have never tried to use the gear than there are those who at least played with it in the backyard.

I admit that in my advanced years "roughing it" has come to be defined as room service closing down after 11 PM, but based on prior experience and accumulated knowledge I'm fairly confident I could (assuming I had my meds with me) survive getting stranded on the road for between 3 and 5 days.  Without meds I'll start having problems after 48 hours, whicjh is why if I know I am going to be gone overnight I pack a week's worth just in case.  And although I do not use it as often as I probably should, I have the equipment, as long as the battery holds out, to send out an SOS and tell people where, within two tenths of a mile, where to come get me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »

So, a GPS would NOT have lead her out?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »
how much weed & peyote was left?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »
how much weed & peyote was left?

If the cat was still alive there probably wasn't much to start with.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!