Author Topic: Let's make Bone Broth!  (Read 1695 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Let's make Bone Broth!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:01 AM »
Some of you *expletive deleted* will eat anything that's slow enough for you to catch, won't you?

Survival of the fittest.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:24 PM »
I've never found it to be necessary to add vinegar because I always add a halved lemon or two to my stock.

Using my pressure cooker I can do in 50 minutes what otherwise would take 8 or more hours.

The only problem with the pressure cooker is that you get a LOT more "fines" out of the bones that tends to make the liquor cloudy so you either have to strain it, decant it, or clarify it with egg whites.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »
Just an update. The garage is smelling pretty good. Definitely smells much more "soup like" than previous batches. This time around I had a much larger "freezer collection" than usual, and the vinegar I used was FAR more flavorful and aromatic than the red wine vinegar I'd used previously. A little more KISS principle might have been better, but we'll see how it turns out in the end. I just hope I don't have try to work around all the "extra" flavors this might have when it's done.

Also, poking at the bones reveals they are definitely broken apart now, but the surfaces haven't really begun to dissolve yet. It might take the full three days I hoped to avoid by using cut bones, but on the plus side there should be a lot dissolved marrow in there than I usually get.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
Well, that's one way to get additional calcium into your diet.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »
Well, that's one way to get additional calcium into your diet.   =D

That's part of the point.  ;)
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »
Remember this when the pain from the kidney stones is driving sharp red-hot pokers into your flanks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »
High amounts of dietary calcium don't necessarily translate into kidney stones. My understanding is that it's usually more of an issue involving deficient amounts of protective nutrients.  =|

Besides, I'm not trying to dissolve the whole bone in one shot, just get some of the calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, etc out of the surface. =)

When consumed as part of ones regular diet, as opposed to taking supplement pills, absorption of such minerals is generally reduced, making larger amounts tolerable and contributing to overall intestinal health (that whole internal garden thing.)

This is in addition to all of the gelatin, collagen, and other stuff present. Just on the texture it has in the freezer, I swear 4 ounces of this stuff is equivalent to a whole bottle of Osteo-BiFlex.  :rofl:

I've been reading.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:32:07 PM by CypherNinja »

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
Higher oxalate intake levels generally are the culprit in calcium oxalate stones.  Although you do have to have both in higher concentrations in urine in order to form stones....

Don't ask me how I know this...  

It's a bad thing when your urologist refers to you as a "kidney stone factory"!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 11:31:49 PM »
Higher oxalate intake levels generally are the culprit in calcium oxalate stones.  Although you do have to have both in higher concentrations in urine in order to form stones....

Don't ask me how I know this...  

It's a bad thing when your urologist refers to you as a "kidney stone factory"!

I thought I was being healthy by eating a spinach salad every day for lunch at work...   :facepalm:
I promise not to duck.