Author Topic: to touch or not to touch......  (Read 2575 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: to touch or not to touch......
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »
We have a wedge-shaped fan pad for her computer, as well (bought it for mine, which is a MUCH-higher-horsepower model than anything else as of purchase date last year - started using it with her old laptop after the first crash to black screen last year and got myself another fan base). Puts the keyboard at a better angle, as well - it feels better than with the laptop flat on the table for me, and apparently for her too, so I had to get myself another for my computer. Besides, now she has the silver fan pad to go with her (new) silver-framed laptop, and I have a black one to go with mine. With blue LED fans, which I have to wonder... why? You have the computer on top of the pad, so you don't see the fans. But it didn't change the price, either.

Yeah, if literally all you need the computer for is pretty basic Web crawling, word processing, etc., the $400 base models will generally do those just fine, so why spend the extra money? We needed decidedly more capability for her, and thought we did pretty well coming in under (JUST under) $1K. She'll get enough ease-of-use out of the backlit keyboard alone to justify a reasonable chunk of the cost - if I never get a non-backlit keyboard again, that'll be just fine with both of us.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
I'm going to go the exact opposite. For a student, short of work that requires raw power, I can't see a single bonus going desktop over laptop. Laptop goes to class, goes under a tree, work on the couch or from bed, etc. Portability as a major perk simply can't be denied. Especially these days where the price gap is pretty much non existent and laptops pack plenty of power and battery life.

Short of having a compelling reason to be tied to a desk or needing raw power for graphics or such, for a student stick with the laptop.

Depending how old his daughter is, he may want a desktop in a promenade location in the house to "monitor" her activity on the computer.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
Depending how old his daughter is, he may want a desktop in a promenade location in the house to "monitor" her activity on the computer.
Then I imagine he would have been asking about a touch screen monitor for a desk top instead of specifically asking about a laptop  ;/

As I recall he was interested if a touch screen was worth it and if so what operating system.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »
Then I imagine he would have been asking about a touch screen monitor for a desk top instead of specifically asking about a laptop  ;/

As I recall he was interested if a touch screen was worth it and if so what operating system.

He did mention typing papers, why I suggested a laptop. Personal experience is I hate laptops for typing and I love me the three monitors I can use for researching/editing/etc while typing

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
He did mention typing papers, why I suggested a laptop. Personal experience is I hate laptops for typing and I love me the three monitors I can use for researching/editing/etc while typing
So he should get the kid a desktop with three screens instead of the laptop he was interested in and set it in a prominent location within the house so he can monitor her activities?

Should they all be touch screens? One touch screen? Or no touch screen?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
 [popcorn]
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
So he should get the kid a desktop with three screens instead of the laptop he was interested in and set it in a prominent location within the house so he can monitor her activities?

Should they all be touch screens? One touch screen? Or no touch screen?

He said he was considering getting a laptop for her, doesn't mean he has made his mind up.

my daughter is getting to the point where she is writing papers and doing a lot of homework on the computer.  i am considering getting her her own laptop and was wondering if a touch screen is worth considering.  while on the subject, which operating system makes the best use of one.

thanks
g2

Dude, I do IT for educational institutions, worked at k-12 and universities. I taught IT at a K-8 school for a few years. Laptops aren't the best choice for younger learners.

Uranus is a gas giant.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »
charby, thanks for the input.  she is getting old enough where "her own space" is starting to mean something to her, and i thought a portable computer would fit the bill.  she is also very self motivated and will get her homework done without supervision, however we do keep an eye on her social media pages.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
charby, thanks for the input.  she is getting old enough where "her own space" is starting to mean something to her, and i thought a portable computer would fit the bill.  she is also very self motivated and will get her homework done without supervision, however we do keep an eye on her social media pages.

I probably wouldn't do a touch screen, I really haven't seen their merit except for tablets and machines designed to be a kiosk type device.

Uranus is a gas giant.